1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Jolly good, is there a synopsis to keep us entertained? :) 

51OYKrTrCRL.jpg.7f055de6e10c35537035227f3d7987fe.jpg

"Brouillard au Pont de Tolbiac" (Fog over the Tolbiac Bridge) is a graphic novel book, illustrated by French Comic artist Jacque Tardi. It is based on the detective novel by Leo Malet, that takes place in the 13e Arrondissement in Paris sometime in the 1950s.  Both Malet and of course, Tardi very much focus on the location and the book includes a map of that part of Paris and where the incidents in the narrative take place. The omnipresence of the fog facilitates the evocation of the past in this classic noir mystery.

plan_paris-2.jpg.1a4771a11e7302523cb2080a7392e8ac.jpg

I am using this as my inspiration for my first attempt at an N scale layout especially the limited palette of colours used in the graphic novel and the atmosphere that is evoked as a result. For example:

tardi-nestor-burma-paris-20-eme-arrondissement-estampe-pigmentaire-edition-limitee_427179.jpg.92baa7e03896946a7a62ce519c5774e1.jpgI have never modelled in N scale before and to be honest, I am not 100% confident on how this is going to pan out.....

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Where's the fog?

This is Jacques Tardi original in acrylic that sold for £4449 Euros which might be a better illustration of the Fog but again shows the limited palette used to evoke the atmopshere :

1730333496_Screenshot2020-10-22at12_43_30.png.e572c46082782790eb82b5d904cd4d80.png

I also have a great interest in "La Petite Ceinture" which features in the novel too and indeed all the Nestor Burma series by Malet & Tardi.

This video also serves as inspiration :

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • RMweb Gold

I share your interest in the Petite-Ceinture.

Not familiar with that book or author but will keep a look out for it.

There's a layout (small diorama style) on the exhibition circuit at the moment which is all in greyscale. Very effective.

There are classic Sprague Thomson Metro trains available from Shapeways. I love that bit of Line 5 that breaks through the trainshed at Austerlitz.

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
20 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I share your interest in the Petite-Ceinture.

Not familiar with that book or author but will keep a look out for it.

There's a layout (small diorama style) on the exhibition circuit at the moment which is all in greyscale. Very effective.

There are classic Sprague Thomson Metro trains available from Shapeways. I love that bit of Line 5 that breaks through the trainshed at Austerlitz.

Yes, am aware of the layout/diorama... 50 x 50 Shades of Grey? .....great name 

This is how Line 5 appears in the graphic novel:

1441962846_Screenshot2020-10-23at10_36_26.png.86a4ec41b066b0479f84e09f7e5a6134.png

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I wonder whether sepia tones might be more effective than greyscale.

I am really thinking of using a limited number of colours rather than everything in greyscale though.

I have already considered sepia as a contrast to the black/white/greys and works for me as I would like to set the layout in the Autumn/Fall as I love those colours. 

Have you seen the film O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen as this is something else that is also influencing my thinking......

aaaafebe2119daaddef9d9f436351cae.png.c6b8b32b3b8977b93c2dceaa5b5b3f96.png

This was one of the first films to be entirely digitally colour-graded. The film is set in 1930s America during the Great Depression and colour correction was used to give the film an overall sepia colour tone. This was done to reflect the era of the Great Depression and to achieve an old, hand-tinted effect rather than the everyday saturated colours of the actual settings. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I am really thinking of using a limited number of colours rather than everything in greyscale though.

I have already considered sepia as a contrast to the black/white/greys and works for me as I would like to set the layout in the Autumn/Fall as I love those colours. 

Have you seen the film O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000) Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen as this is something else that is also influencing my thinking......

aaaafebe2119daaddef9d9f436351cae.png.c6b8b32b3b8977b93c2dceaa5b5b3f96.png

This was one of the first films to be entirely digitally colour-graded. The film is set in 1930s America during the Great Depression and colour correction was used to give the film an overall sepia colour tone. This was done to reflect the era of the Great Depression and to achieve an old, hand-tinted effect rather than the everyday saturated colours of the actual settings. 

An excellent, almost flawless, movie - not least its cinematography - which benefits greatly from being viewed on the big Cinema screen.

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch
  • Agree 1
23 hours ago, scottystitch said:

Have you seen the Skies of Fire artwork?

https://www.mythopoeia.us/skiesoffire.html

Best

Scott.

No, I hadn't but it looks like nice artwork

For me though the Nestor Burma Graphic Novels pretty much feature the following which I am hoping to translate into a model railway:

1) Paris and its Arrondissements 

2) La Petite Ceinture

3) Great use of colour

4) Dark Atmosphere

but we will see how it pans out.........

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, TEAMYAKIMA said:

Is this the layout you're referring to?

24458803_DSCF8096(2).JPG.faaef57d7a73ca31cc77f600334aed32.JPG

yes I believe so......

I also like this one: Staly Vegas which uses the limited palette of colours to great effect.....

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 1

I want to keep momentum up on this having been caught out in the last lockdown with no particular project to occupy my time......and it seems we are heading in the same direction.

I have no experience of N scale: I have no track and currently no loco or wagons so for me when starting something like this, I find it helpful to get some good examples on board of successful layouts of similar size and rolling stock density that I can hopefully replicate successfully.

I have been badgering Ian Morgan with a few inane questions regarding layout size, staging and number of locos and wagons as his layout "Freshwater" is the same size (5ft x 18") if totally different concepts. His use of simple staging and not an overwhelming amount of wagons and locos (I have learnt my lesson from my Cuban layouts of having far too much rolling stock) has given me the extra incentive to jump into N Scale (although I appreciate his excellent layout is 2mm Finescale)

So without further ado, I ordered a baseboard from Tim Horn and away we go....

IMG_0490.jpg.a0735e1462fee3ff3f703ff1293f8144.jpg

Edited by Lineas Cubanas

I am going to be modelling this area obviously very much compressed.

Screenshot_2020-10-23_at_14_10_30.png.5b7b68f660bc42d8884c9a5660c27f1b.png

The layout will be framed by two bridges : obviously Le Pont de Tolbiac at one end and the other with La Petite Ceniture overbridge and station (Orleans Ceinture) next to Boulevard Massena.

Le Pont de Tolbiac

tardi-burma-13e.jpg.04130b41a5bf56c84bd169d266ef00e9.jpg

La gare de la Petite Ceinture "Orleans Ceinture"

1665088780_Screenshot2020-10-26at12_51_37.png.9c28845cbdf23811961c57c53ac0be6d.png

You should be able to see on the map Rue Watt which is an underpass which features in the graphic novel too. This should give the layout some visual interest as the levels will vary especially as I plan to feature a murky River Seine.

Rue Watt

1089621080_Screenshot2020-10-26at12_50_11.png.a4e9f8ac1fc00af33631fb1b894272a4.png

Edited by Lineas Cubanas
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

The official website dedicated to the famous French photographer Robert Doisneau has many helpful pics of Paris streets and railways, such as these: https://www.robert-doisneau.com/en/portfolios/440,banlieue.htm 

• Thanks 1

I have found myself an idiot's guide to potential Motive Power that I can use on the layout:

IMG_0493.jpg.4f2eeaf9c72ea4b9ed69815d8516affd.jpg

All I need now is to find them in N scale with DCC.........without having to re mortgage

If anyone can make any suggestions of models and manufacturers that are available in the market place, it would be very much appreciated......

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Lineas Cubanas said:

I have found myself an idiot's guide to potential Motive Power that I can use on the layout:

IMG_0493.jpg.4f2eeaf9c72ea4b9ed69815d8516affd.jpg

All I need now is to find them in N scale with DCC.........without having to re mortgage

If anyone can make any suggestions of models and manufacturers that are available in the market place, it would be very much appreciated......

What year (approximately) are you looking for?

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

What year (approximately) are you looking for?

Brouillard au Pont de Tolbiac graphic novel is set in the 1950s but I have a feeling this era might prove too difficult to procure rolling stock for in N scale ???

I like the Petite Ceinture in the 1980s and I think there might be better availability of products for this era but this is pure speculation at this point.....

Orleans Ceinture August 1985

Petite-Ceinture_gare_du_boulevard_Massena_aout_1985.jpg.764ac6a54cfa67fe6537120a12bfc3a9.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I think that you should be able to procure suitable stock for the 50s - which would not have been the case a few years ago.

Locomotive wise both that 050TQ (Fleischmann) and the A1A-A1A 62000 would be right for the 1950s. I think that there have been, at least, body kits for the 62000 for fitting to a US manufactured chassis.

This page should help you: http://www.referencement-n.com/index.

And another site: http://www.trains160.com/

Edited by Joseph_Pestell
  • Like 1