Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What exactly is the problem with Lima 47 bogies ?  They look pretty good to me , compared with photos, I can't  see anything particularly not right about them or in what way are they too small ?  

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly is the problem with Lima 47 bogies ?  They look pretty good to me , compared with photos, I can't  see anything particularly not right about them or in what way are they too small ?  

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RobMG said:

What exactly is the problem with Lima 47 bogies ?  They look pretty good to me , compared with photos, I can't  see anything particularly not right about them or in what way are they too small ?  

 

Rob

Hi Rob, i havnt looked at them in detail but they are too short on the model. Lima made all their CoCo bogies to use the same pancake motor unit (class 52 excepted) so they all have the same wheelbase where on the real things 47s, deltics, 31s etc do have different spacings to each other. From memory 47s have 7ft3 spacing and deltics are 6ft9. Admittedly there isnt much in it but there will be some compression on the models. It doesnt bother me too much as the bogies are great mouldings and look fine to my eyes but for complete accuracy they are not 100%

Hope this helps

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/11/2020 at 14:39, MJI said:

437971919_2020-11-0214_38_58.jpg.308b8e02a18fcac968bd583de711d483.jpg

 

Very nice, the old Lima 47's scrub up nicely, the re-paint also helps.

On ones I've done previously, painting the front cab window ledges all Black prior to fitting laser glaze also makes a worthwhile improvement.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Hi Rob, i havnt looked at them in detail but they are too short on the model. Lima made all their CoCo bogies to use the same pancake motor unit (class 52 excepted) so they all have the same wheelbase where on the real things 47s, deltics, 31s etc do have different spacings to each other. From memory 47s have 7ft3 spacing and deltics are 6ft9. Admittedly there isnt much in it but there will be some compression on the models. It doesnt bother me too much as the bogies are great mouldings and look fine to my eyes but for complete accuracy they are not 100%

Hope this helps

James

Cheers James,  As you say it's  not a great ,  2mm short.  I think I can live with that.   A bit of  underframe detail and a coating of grime will divert attention from that..

Rob

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RobMG said:

Cheers James,  As you say it's  not a great ,  2mm short.  I think I can live with that.   A bit of  underframe detail and a coating of grime will divert attention from that..

Rob

No probs Rob, there may be some other discrepencies but im no expert, very much in the if it looks right it is right camp with my modelling too.

All the best 

James

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jessy1692 said:

No probs Rob, there may be some other discrepencies but im no expert, very much in the if it looks right it is right camp with my modelling too.

All the best 

James

James,  I do like to get things looking as right as possible, but I also bend the rules a bit here and there..   Looking right is the key..  I don't think 2mm is going to bother me..

 

All the best to you too

Rob

  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree, the old Lima does look like what it is supposed to be. IIRC the model has lots of errors, but does just get away with them. Going from memory it is slightly too narrow in the body, the cab side window surrounds are too large (most noticeable with yellow window surrounds), the cab front windows are wrong, and the area around the battery boxes has fake extra bits added to hold the weight inside.

 

The best upgrades I have done involve the under frame around the battery boxes, wire handrails and new buffers. Might try reducing the size of the cab side window surrounds on some I have yet to work on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, for your answer.  I will confine my work to new battery boxes etc  . flush glaze windows,  buffer beams and buffers.   Fans and grills. and repaint & transfers.   Oh and nearer to scale wheels. and all hanging down pipes... 

 

Rob

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

I have to agree, the old Lima does look like what it is supposed to be. IIRC the model has lots of errors, but does just get away with them. Going from memory it is slightly too narrow in the body, the cab side window surrounds are too large (most noticeable with yellow window surrounds), the cab front windows are wrong, and the area around the battery boxes has fake extra bits added to hold the weight inside.

 

The best upgrades I have done involve the under frame around the battery boxes, wire handrails and new buffers. Might try reducing the size of the cab side window surrounds on some I have yet to work on.

Had a further look at photos, and the model, can't really see anything that would bother me .  The loco will be finished in two tone green with just the yellow panel at front , so the side windows are safe.   I have a photo of me leaning out of the cab window of 1581  in the summer of 1971  that is the loco I am doing.

Rob

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.