Riley in Ireland - A Photographic Odyssey

EddieB

I'll post here, rather than in "Books" as it's probably where greater interest lies.

I've just purchased a copy of this book, recently published by the Transport Treasury.  It is a record of a single visit to Ireland by the accomplished photographer RC ("Dick") Riley in 1950, apparently in the company of HC Casserley, HS Brighty and Tom Middlemas.  Although the trip was only about a week in duration, it seems to have been an intensive schedule and they covered quite a lot of the northern half of Ireland.  

Locomotives dominate the photographs, but there is plenty of extra interest and the captions have been compiled with the benefit of local knowledge - they are extensive and detailed.  As a snapshot of the railways of Ireland in a particular time-period, I'd say the book serves its purpose well.

RC Riley's photo collection is owned and managed by the Transport Treasury, from whom copies of the photos in the book can be obtained.  This is the latest in a series of books being published (see the "Books" section for other examples).

The usual disclaimer applies - I have no connection other than as a buyer of books!

• Like 6