Bachmann WCRC Mk1 and Mk2’s

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I was looking on the Bachmann availability list, I can’t seem to find a release date for the West Coast Mk1’s and Mk2’s.  I was wondering if I was going blind as I couldn’t see for looking :scratchhead:.

if anyone has a update I would be most grateful.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Paul.Uni said:

Still listed as 'awaiting' on the Bachmann website.

I saw that and then looked the availability list that’s been posted on here but found little information.

• RMweb Gold

Like most railtours, Its been delayed until a new unknown date in 2021.

I‘m just left to  wonder if it will turn up with a diesel on the front, and or the rear ?

(( though if it did turn up with 47580... I wouldnt complain).

• Like 1

On 25/10/2020 at 17:41, Hilux5972 said:

Very interested to see if they get the coach ends correct. The WCRC coaches had maroon ends. Hornby got it right with their new Hogwarts coaches so time will tell. 

They'd also need the steps removing. Very few modern MkIs still have them, even on heritage lines.

It's an achievable modification on a black ended veichle with care, with minimal repainting, but on a maroon end, matching the paint could be a bit of a bind.

I understand why they were initially tooled with the steps, and how changing that would be rather costly of course. This is meant as an observation rather than criticism of either Bachmann, or Hornby's MkI and their usage. And once they are rolling around a layout, it wouldn't be overly noticeable.

Cheers

J

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, JaymzHatstand said:

They'd also need the steps removing. Very few modern MkIs still have them, even on heritage lines.

And once they are rolling around a layout, it wouldn't be overly noticeable.

Sadly I suspect the former is answered by the latter.

Even Hornbys newly tooled Intercity RB sample shows steps, even though the prototype picture doesn't..

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-intercity-mk1-rb-r-ic1667-era-8.html

I suspect a Superdetailed highly accurate Mk1 is a pipe dream for now, even if new tooled it could be cost prohibitive, but if someone overcame the cost barrier to make a highly accurate mk1, with lighting, close coupling, changeable door window positions.  etc at under £50, even if sold in rakes, ebay would be a blood bath of old mk1’s, but most people seem content with what they have, with little reason to change... just look how few comments there are about the NR stock accuracy.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/10/2020 at 15:12, adb968008 said:

just look how few comments there are about the NR stock accuracy.

Don't get me started......

Oh - you have.

For example - there are three Mk2 BSOs in NwR use - 9481, 9516 and 9523. They are all different from a standard "production" BSO - and from each other.

Basic "spotting" details:

9481 is one of the FGW disabled mods with a larger toilet and change to the associated windows. The brake corridor connection has also been removed.

Network Rail Mk2 BSO 9481

9516 and 9523 have the middle (nearest the brake end) passenger door sealed up on both sides.

9516 also has one brake double door set sealed with a panel to distinguish it from 9523.

Network Rail: 9516 Newcastle Central

I'm not sure that a single NwR yellow coach can simply be a RTR item "painted yellow".

I get it totally and know why it is done - the tooling costs would most likely outweigh the benefits.

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/10/2020 at 17:16, jools1959 said:

I was looking on the Bachmann availability list, I can’t seem to find a release date for the West Coast Mk1’s and Mk2’s.  I was wondering if I was going blind as I couldn’t see for looking :scratchhead:.

if anyone has a update I would be most grateful.

Bachmann Times came today, sadly they are not listed in the due for release during winter 2020 section.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Paul.Uni said:

RRP for the carriages:

MK1 TSO & BSK: £54.95

MK1 RMB: £56.95

MK2 TSO: £59.95

I presume this is new information, as some of them didn't have prices before?

Might mean they decide to make them sooner rather than later in that case.

• Like 1

When the RMBs were first released I paid £18 for a maroon one at Ian Allan in either 2004 or 2006. By today's pricing that should be £26 with inflation. Lets call it £35 max to account for increased labour charges. I find the prices for the latest Mk1s are rediculous. Don't get me wrong, they are excellent models, and with the roof pipework and close couplings much better than the Hornby Railroad/Design clever alternatives.

BUT £60 for a new release. No thanks.

Four of years ago at got the Shakespeare Express BSK support coach split from pack for £15!!! Now a similar coach is FOUR TIMES that price....

What I don't understand is that for 2.6x price of new release Mk1s I could get an brand new tooled Accurascale Deltic with motor, lights, metal chassis 4 more wheels, gearing etc...

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Don't get me wrong, they are excellent models, and with the roof pipework and close couplings much better than the Hornby Railroad/Design clever alternatives.

Yes but look at the Hornby MK3SDs. £36 RRP IIRC and have close coupling etc. I got a NR mk1 generator coach from Bachmann to run with my Hornby 2Fs and you'd not think it was almost 50% more expensive to buy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 05/03/2021 at 00:10, G-BOAF said:

much better than the Hornby Railroad/Design clever alternatives.

I agree the detail on bachmanns has the edge since it’s seperate details but for the price of them, Hornbys suit me just fine. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 04/03/2021 at 12:29, Class 158 productions said:

I wonder if someone will ever do a super-detail mk1, although best case scenario atm is if these Bachmann ones incorporate new parts as seen on the tpos, although seeing Bachmann mk1s in sales for low 20s regularly

,is reassuring.

What price would a super detailed mk1 be  ?

if your wincing about a £50, it doesn't suggest your going to like the price of a new tooled one ?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

What price would a super detailed mk1 be  ?

if your wincing about a £50, it doesn't suggest your going to like the price of a new tooled one ?

Probably north of £70, with lights. Given how many of the Bachmann mk2f lighting variants sold out, people could be interested. If Bachmann added lights to some mk1s, would be nice. Could even adapt the bogies and pickups from a Pullman one.But then jump up the price even more. The rrp for the new mk2Fs is now £94. A new tool would be scary. 

• Agree 1

I think the thing is here as a generalisation I don't think we are too unhappy at paying the price for all singing all dancing new stuff. It's the chucking the same old stuff out year on year with increases that seem to me far larger than what the rate of inflation is that's starting to bug me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

It's the chucking the same old stuff out year on year with increases that seem to me far larger than what the rate of inflation is that's starting to bug me.

The problem is that it's not the rate of general price inflation in the UK that's relevant, but wage inflation in China, where the models are produced and assembled.  Production was originally moved to China because wages there are so much lower there than they are here.  Understandably, these Chinese workers want to earn something closer to the minimum UK wage and as wages rise in China, so to does the cost of Chinese production.  After all, if UK staff don't want to work for £2 per hour, why should the Chinese? 

However, I do agree that £55 for a coach that a few years ago could be had for half that does seem a bit steep, especially when it's not lit.  I'd quite like a few of these, but I already have too much stock, so if the price isn't right, I'll probably just give them a miss.

26 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

The problem is that it's not the rate of general price inflation in the UK that's relevant, but wage inflation in China, where the models are produced and assembled.  Production was originally moved to China because wages there are so much lower there than they are here.  Understandably, these Chinese workers want to earn something closer to the minimum UK wage and as wages rise in China, so to does the cost of Chinese production.  After all, if UK staff don't want to work for £2 per hour, why should the Chinese? 

However, I do agree that £55 for a coach that a few years ago could be had for half that does seem a bit steep, especially when it's not lit.  I'd quite like a few of these, but I already have too much stock, so if the price isn't right, I'll probably just give them a miss.

Yes that's what I meant, as in not everything out of China seems to have gone up the same amount. And then there's newly tooled stuff coming in at less than/around the beaten track locos we have seen for years on end which also sets my cynicism off.

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Probably north of £70, with lights. Given how many of the Bachmann mk2f lighting variants sold out, people could be interested. If Bachmann added lights to some mk1s, would be nice. Could even adapt the bogies and pickups from a Pullman one.But then jump up the price even more. The rrp for the new mk2Fs is now £94. A new tool would be scary. 

With c100 mark1’s in my fleet, I wont be buying £7k of mk1’s anytime soon, especially when selling them they wont be worth much more than £2k.

Which means I think a super deluxe mk1 will have a much smaller market than the incumbent mk1.. which I would imagine only sells at bread and butter volumes at this stage anyway, as most will have their rakes formed.

Adding lights to the Hornby ones was a great idea, but beyond that I am not sure how much more a mk1 can be improved, that would persuade me to start again.

mk1’s are niche to me.. missed gaps in diagrams or liveries... things like a Bullion van, Griddle car, a few more Intercity stock.. rather than a whole new TSO, that misfits the shape/livery in the rest of my old tooled rake.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

By way of contrast. Hornby's  new coronation coaches are about £50.00 with lights. With discount around £43. Cheaper than Bachmann Portholes or Thompson's. Obviously I've no idea what the projected sales are  but it does make Bachmann look pricey....

Edited by davidw
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, davidw said:

By way of contrast. Hornby's  new coronation coaches are about £50.00 with lights. With discount around £43. Cheaper than Bachmann Portholes or Thompson's. Obviously I've no idea what the projected sales are  but it does make Bachmann look pricey....

Ive got to admit if Hornby made wcrc mk1’s they would get my order, I prefer the shape of their new mk1 anyway.

• Agree 1