Ravelstone Works

antony

I've been working on this model of BCDR No. 6 off and on for a couple of years. It's an Alphagraphix model in 7mm for 32mm finescale track. I thought the boiler supplied was undersized - possibly the original one with the round top firebox, so I've made a new one - for better or for worse!

Any thoughts on a suitable shade of green? I know No. 30 in the museum is too light; I've seen Fred Graham's models but only carry a memory in my head! Perhaps BR green with some black in it, or is there a model paint near enough? Any ideas gratefully received.

Here are pics of her nearly ready to paint, assembled and ckd.

bcdr 6 unpainted.JPG

bcdr 6 ckd.JPG

P1014605.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Hi Tony, that looks the part, I am in awe of this type of model engineering!

As regards livery, on my 4mm BCDR models (see pic of my No 4 & 14, though like all such you need to see them in the flesh, so to speak!) I have used Precision Paints GNR dark green (tender lining. It's certainly a pretty dark green. I did try doing BNCR "invisible green"for No 62  by mixing black and brunswick green but on a small scale model i decided there wasn't the surface area to actually reproduce that colour as described in various books.

Look forward to seeing this someday!

Colm

1644600688_No4No142.JPG.adc1153b1493cb420590868c7d13fb64.JPG

Nos 4, 14, and 28 -the two front are in the GNR clour, 28 was done in the now discontinued Midland Kirtley green, which looks much the same in this light, but had a tinge of blue in it - it'll need to be mixed in future, I used it for most of my UTA models. It's slightly lighter with a bit of a blue tinge , i think, in "reality"!

678528059_new4atsignal.JPG.f619876619ec379cd813fb5a5ee07da1.JPG

No 4 on my previous layout, mostly natural light,

As also this pic of 62 from my previous layout.

836344261_BNCR62viaduct2.jpg.917db59f8d1c5ad7b48fb710e252ef2a.jpg

• Like 4

Tony - here’s a Fred Graham loco, photographed by my brother in sunny Ulster this afternoon, and forwarded to me in rainy Buckinghamshire ! LSWR holly green may be an option ? Nice work on the kit - Alphagraphix are great little kits for the price and a good basis for ‘fettling’.

66AC4B48-A470-4F16-A7A4-00A839EE9855.jpeg

86C38A27-3501-4836-9A7B-24428902FFE8.jpeg

6F3AF1ED-E564-455D-9A68-89C17C744136.jpeg

436EC790-2198-443A-B957-DC202F38A691.jpeg

Edited by Irish Padre
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, antony said:

I've been working on this model of BCDR No. 6 off and on for a couple of years. It's an Alphagraphix model in 7mm for 32mm finescale track. I thought the boiler supplied was undersized - possibly the original one with the round top firebox, so I've made a new one - for better or for worse!

Here are pics of her nearly ready to paint, assembled and ckd.

Great to see it at this stage Tony.

Thanks for the comments. The problem with getting paint is the courier cost to NI. Phoenix Precision Paints charge nearly £10 for a measly little tin! I have some GWR green, so I'll perhaps I should try that with a little black. Who's to know? - And anyway after a day out from the works it would have been a different green!

• Like 1

From my information, the dark shade shown by both Padre and Colm F above appears to be spot on.

Yes, No. 30 in Cultra carries a shade they never had - it would be more at home on the Isle of Man Railway with that - along with the RPSI's "Harvey the Green Engine", which in real life had an even darker shade of green than the above.

Paint colours for models, always a tricky one.   An early teenage memory I have is of Des Coakham (probably the best informed person on the BCDR telling me that he actually thought the BCDR engnes were black, but then realized they were revarnished from time to time and this darkened the colour. I also recall him saying that No30's colour was wrong. 

Desmond's  final  and definitive book on the BCDR has this picture on the front.

1468017841_BCDRNo61945002.jpg.3a66232aef7908e1d4f52c52f6a11270.jpg

Hmmm.   I wonder what Desmond thought of it?  Even allowing for the fact that it's a painting,  has been photographed, scanned etc, it looks a pretty bright green on No 6.  Rather similar to the paint on No 30 in the Transport museum. Now, I am pretty sure No 30 never carried that livery - but maybe someone had some of that bright green when she was being prepared for preservation......it's all such fun, and it keeps us  engaged, anyway!

Colm

• Like 1

Indeed - as Des said, so did Cyril Fry!

His models of BCDR locos (which I may have posted at some stage) are - if anything - marginally darker again than Fred's model above. What is certain is that the green used was a very dark green - more so than GWR or BR or SR in England, so the idea of putting a little black in certainly seems about right for me.

Malahide Museum is closed due to Covid right now but I may be able to get in at some stage just before Christmas - if I can (and I've still bits of work to do there), I'll take pics. Fry apparently got his paint from Queen's Quay.

Comparing his models with the above, I'd say the green in the models is as close as one may be able to ascertain nowadays.

And yes, just as GSR grey tended to darken very considerably in use, so did BCDR green. At one stage, to save money, when a BCDR loco was outshopped, they didn't paint it at all - just put a coat of dark varnish over whatever was already there.

The maroon on the coaches in the painting is waaay too light as well.

Edited by jhb171achil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trying my hand at lining - and I'm not impressed! I've had Rotring pens lying in a drawer for years, so I thought it an opportunity to try them again. Perhaps if I took it off and tried again and again and again and... !!

10126165_BCDR6tenderrhlined.jpg.79a777bfcce7f69bbfa646ea0594f9c9.jpg

548027191_BCDR6tenderrearlined.jpg.67b4bf6661fab00d8c93ecbc354c9fc7.jpg

Ravelstone Central now has some more canopy, Evergreen strips mek'd to the glazing. The footbridge is a plastic laser cut kit from York Model Rail.

574846751_RavelstoneCentral(10).jpg.23b3c3aa284f57666430182425de26ea.jpg

1566795372_RavelstoneCentral(9).jpg.ca1e86a22eb8576cba6f435fc649242b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

I don’t know know what type of eyesight you have but I had to enlarge the photos of your lining to see any waver in the line.  Great result on the footbridge, I take it you had to adapt it to suit the station.  As for that canopy, no mean task.  And you finished of your post with a delightful snapshot of a passengers view of the station. More pictures please.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 5 weeks later...

More work on No. 6.

The tender chassis, I've used Slater's plastic hornblocks, split axles and de-insulated the wheels so that no wipers are needed for pick-ups

627169405_BCDR6tenderchassisunderside.JPG.b3b38007bcb7dc15abea9428f7166f04.JPG

On the loco I did the same for the leading wheels and used fine wire pick-ups on the drivers.

855684457_BCDR6locochassissmallered.jpg.18ca166be6af657a8d557da06366d124.jpg

I tried lining the loco with the Rotring, but made an absolute mess of it! Plan 'B' (or maybe plan F or G --) was to draw the complete cabside and splasher in CAD, trying to match the loco green and drawing in the lining. I printed it onto white decal sheet and although the green isn't quite right, it will have to do! A bit of weathering will hide a lot. Kieran found a photo of the crest, again scanned into CAD software and scaled to size. (Several sizes, I chose the one I liked best).

1152391889_BCDR6decalsheetsmallered.jpg.c1a190f4369fec8d5dffaa194f6c6a1b.jpg

Here's the (very nearly) finished engine. The edges of the decals can be seen if you look for them. So don't!!

306594725_BCDR6lhssmallered.jpg.b59abd27bd3322aee5177c20cb48b589.jpg

And she's a nice runner.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Thanks for the comments, guys. Golfer's saloon and some 6-wheelers would be nice, Colm.

Here's video of her going off to collect some wagons. The decals show up differently in the video, not so obvious on the layout!

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4