Creating OO scale BFK 17105

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I've been toying with the idea of a generator car to go with my Bachmann blue/grey Mk2f's.  At first I thought of modifying a MK1 BG into 6311 which has been used by Riviera Trains but I thought it might easier to create BFK 17105 as that seems to be part of the blue/grey set.  I know very little about Mk2's except that from Mk2d's, they had air con fitted and therefore sealed windows, though Mk2c’s had lowered ceilings and ducting for air conditioning but was never fitted.

I checked both Bachmann and Hornby's offerings and to be honest, I'm still none the wiser as to which would be a suitable candidate.  I'm hope that someone can give me some useful pointers on how to recreate this vehicle.  I'm aware that it's been painted blue/grey to match the set but I want to model it as shown in the pictures.

DSC_0602.JPG

DSC_0600.JPG

DSC_0597.JPG

DSC_0595.JPG

DSC_0594.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MJI said:

Lima with extreme etchings frames

Hi Martin, I’ve checked the Lima listings and can only find Mk2b BFK’s.  Do they share similar body shells?

• RMweb Gold

After further research and to answer my own question, 17105 is a Mk2b BFK, so the Lima model will make a excellent donor.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cheesysmith said:

Also needs replica B5 bogies. Got LED tail lights fitted. Is it still through gangwayed?

Thanks for the pointer about the Replica B5 bogies, I was wondering which to use.  As my set will be top and tailed, the LED lights are not really a issue and it seems to be still through gangwayed.

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Interesting that at some time the passenger end doors have been replaced with ones from an air-conditioned coach: note the grilled vents over the droplights.

Pity Airfix never did a 2D BFK as converting that would be easy.

Another way to do it.

Hornby or Bachamnn 2 BFK with Airfix 2D end and doors.

Or modify a Mark 2 doors to make wrap  round.

http://www.p4newstreet.com/category/coaches    early 2C

This is a conversion DO NOT DO ROOF 2B different to 2C

http://www.barrowmoremrg.co.uk/Journal/BMRJ_Issue_40_pub.pdf

The Barrowmore site is good but the conversion pages have disappeared.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve sourced a Lima 2b BFK and ordered the extreme etching frames but I can’t seem to find any aftermarket glazing.  Also, I seem to remember that someone did grills that you could stick on, does anyone know who made them?

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, jools1959 said:

I’ve sourced a Lima 2b BFK and ordered the extreme etching frames but I can’t seem to find any aftermarket glazing.  Also, I seem to remember that someone did grills that you could stick on, does anyone know who made them?

I am still waiting for my glazing for my 8 so far reframed Mark 2s. He is knocking up a set for Lima BFK but you will have to file all large windows bigger to fit scale frames.

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Jools,

To make body side vent louvres I use a junior hack saw blade to scribe .040" plasticard and then glue them into pierced holes in the body sides either with an overlay of appropriate microstrip or a strip of .010" to form a rim. Make sure that you make the scribed strips larger than needed and cut and file them to size.

DSCF0893.JPG.bff355e64399c4aa16ee6e274d0a5c24.JPG

Over-layed Microstrip frames.

DSCF0641.JPG.05ec9a4a855f62be597b54f7576f80b0.JPG

Rims formed from .010" strips.

Gibbo.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi Jools,

I'm doing the same in N, based on a Farish Mk2A BSO. 

Link here 

I've since added the wrap round doors by scribing them in. Grills will be represented with decals, as in N at scale distance it won't notice. I think the grills don't align with windows on the BSO, at least from my research they don't appear to. Lots of boxes to chop and add in the underframe, recesses high up on one end, integral tail lights the other and of course the massive roof silencer.

Jo

From compositing photos of the generator and normal version taken from similar angles the outer two grilles do appear to line up with the former windows. The middle one the grilles is where the double luggage doors were, offset to the outermost door edge. This makes some sense as it would require less work on altering the rather complex interlaced bodyside members.

BFKcomparison.jpg.15d0e8f289ff6c8b4f936a680cce2e0b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

That makes sense Bernard, it was a while ago I sized it all up so couldn't remember the intricacies. My initial plan was to glue on etched grills, but I just could not get them looking convincing, ironically the decals look neater!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

• RMweb Premium

Hurst Models did etched overlays for this coach.

It was a twin pack of  Royal Train Staff coaches 2905/2906. They sometimes come up on ebay or similar.

17105 was 2905.

2906 is now 977969 and regularly used in test trains.

(I really must finish my 17105.....

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2020 at 10:09, cheesysmith said:

Also needs replica B5 bogies. Got LED tail lights fitted. Is it still through gangwayed?

I think its possible for staff to get through it but the former van area is now an engine room .

Can't remember what type the engine is but its a 500hp V8 

I remember working a charter to Canterbury with it and helping to try and fix a fuel leak on it to no avail 

Spent the return journey switching aircon in and out on 12 coaches to prevent it overloading the ETH on a 37/4