Using Templot to build turnouts compatible with Peco Bullhead track

petejones

When you say compatible with, so you mean "able to join up to it"

Or do you mean using the same geometry

Or is it a question on how difficult is it to build a turnout.

A simple answer to all three is. Track building is a skill many can pick up easily and enjoy, it takes a little learning but can be very rewarding and opens up a great deal of new opportunities and does not need to be expensive. 

The two systems are very compatible with each other.

As said Templot makes life much easier in making working templates (plans) even copying existing designs or maps.

• Agree 1

Providing you use the same code rail as your Peco track, and you develop the skills for point building then it should be fairly straight forward.

You will need to identify the clearances for check rails and wing rails / crossing V.

It will be worth your while to buy or make some jigs so that you are building to a consistent standard.

Does all your stock have a consistent back to back and thickness of wheel flange?

Gordon A

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon A said:

Providing you use the same code rail as your Peco track, and you develop the skills for point building then it should be fairly straight forward.

You will need to identify the clearances for check rails and wing rails / crossing V.

It will be worth your while to buy or make some jigs so that you are building to a consistent standard.

Does all your stock have a consistent back to back and thickness of wheel flange?

Gordon A

Gordon

Providing you buy the correct gauge (which is harder than you think) to match Peco's standards, the track you can build will react to varying wheel makes exactly the same as Peco track.

Whilst Peco describe their track as finescale, this may not be the same as some track gauges also described as Finescale.

Also the track gauge you ideally require for chaired track may differ from that required/designed for copperclad construction

Also ensure if buying common crossings to get the versions with a 1.25mm flangeways. Not 1mm !!!!

Sorry to get a bit technicle 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, hayfield said:

When you say compatible with, so you mean "able to join up to it"

Yes, that's what I meant. I have some bullhead rail and turnouts, but I really could do with a couple of turnouts that are slightly curved.

• RMweb Premium

No problem at all,  if one turnout or piece of track is lower than the other, just pack up the offending piece has the rail head level with the other. On plain track allow around a couple of inches of level railhead either side of the joint, for turnouts ensure both have level railheads and transition on the plain track.

1 hour ago, petejones said:

Yes, that's what I meant. I have some bullhead rail and turnouts, but I really could do with a couple of turnouts that are slightly curved.

Peter

I assume its chaired track you will be building, firstly I would recommend the Exactoscale turnout timbers 4FT PTCO or the C&L point sleeper pack  SKU 4TT101B  both have a timber thickness of 1.6mm which matches Peco's timber height

The best chairs at the moment are the new C&L 3 bolt chairs 4CH 101A which also have the bridge and J chairs and functionable fishplates, you will also require the 4 bolt slide chairs 4CH 103A

The roller gauges you require are the 4mm scale 00 gauge Classic versions with the 1.25mm check clearances

The HiNi rail is less yellow than Pecos and through the post comes on 500mm lengths

• Thanks 1

I am using Exactoscale 1.6mm sleepers (EMGS), C&L new 3 bolt chairs and BH code 75 BH rail (EMGS) to make my turnouts. I use Peco flexi BH track with these with no problems.

A gentle curve on a B6 templot turnout print (1.25mm) will look realy good with the Peco BH turnouts.

I was a bit daunted by building track to start with but soon got the hang of it. Roller gauges, a couple of jigs and a well tinned soldering iron make life a lot easier.

A couple of roller gauges is all you need to start off with plus a piece of 1.25mm strip as a wing and check rail gauge, as 00 gauge has a fair bit of inbuilt tolerance.

Also keep an eye out on sites like eBay for surplus/unwanted chairs, rail and unwanted sleeper strip, but if possible steer clear of thin timber/sleeper strip

Might be worth building a couple of SMP copperclad kits first (fine for storage yards or overgrown sidings), just to learn the building process and a few simple techniques.  

• Thanks 1

I am really happy. Made a V5 curviform turnout from a Templot plan, i made the common crossing and filed the switch blades myself. This is the first time i have wired one up and added to the baseboard using Peco bullhead flexi track.

It works.

IMG_20201105_175341.jpg.667c7fe96e06be017e3cda9639d340e7.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if the question has been asked before, did a quick search but found nothing.

Does Templot have a catch or trap point plan? Or am I missing something? I would like to put one in the coal siding coming off the main line at Blandford.

tmp1121028.jpg.a14d286777f24a06553fe4798d2118dd.jpg

I don't know who to credit the photo to.

Maybe the best way to do it would be to model a non-working one with a switch rail?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, down the sdjr said:

Sorry if the question has been asked before, did a quick search but found nothing.

Does Templot have a catch or trap point plan?

Yes.

Specifically, you choose a new point template. I always use A's for catch/trap, so say A5 as size doesn't matter. Of course pick the hand you want, left/right.

Then, 'do' from drop down menu, and 'snap to catch' option.  Further down this drop down is the 'omit rails and joint marks'. Choose the turnout road crossing rail and you have a single bladed result. Move around and position , curve etc to taste on your track plan as normal, and save.  Job done, well as I do it anyway.....

Izzy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, down the sdjr said:

Where were you searching? There's a topic about catch points in the Templot docs including a nifty animated infographic:

https://templot.com/companion/catch_points.php

(And before the inevitable RMweb response -- it's about a physical set of catch points being used as trap points.)

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Where were you searching? There's a topic about catch points in the Templot docs including a nifty animated infographic:

"nifty" really doesn't do it justice! What a great demonstration!

Thanks.

Adrian

• Like 1