60 years since the Severn bridge disaster. Drone footage.

2 hours ago, doilum said:

The barges were built ( and operated?) by Harkers of Knottingley. They were the basis of the model moored in the foreground of Great Burden the NPRMS n gauge layout.

Going by the names quoted in the report with the suffix H would point to them as part of Harkers own fleet which would have been built at their Knottingley ship yard. 

Once upon a time Knottingley was deemed important enough to have it's own library (and sports centre, swimming pool etc etc...) which had a good archive of Harker material in the local history section. I'm not sure what happened to it as my good lady wife had moved on by then.

• RMweb Gold

Not being familiar with the Severn rail bridge and I was wondering why it was built?  The Severn tunnel was the obvious choice for the GWR and it’s services to and from South Wales but I don’t understand why the bridge was built.

With the junction at Gloucester, the South Wales services would divert via Chepstow therefore negating the need for the bridge.  Obviously there was a need but I hope someone could explain it’s existence.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Going by the names quoted in the report with the suffix H would point to them as part of Harkers own fleet which would have been built at their Knottingley ship yard. 

Arkendale.h was built at Richard's Ironworks in Lowestoft in 1937, Wastdale.h by Sharpness Shipyard in 1951.  Harkers owned the Sharpness Shipyard, using it as a maintenance base for their Severn fleet.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 1

As has been said above, the Severn Bridge was primarily built to take coal traffic to Sharpness from the Forest of Dean. That traffic never materialised in the anticipated volume.

It was begun after the tunnel (in 1875) but finished well before (in 1879).

The bridge was never intended to be a major through route – indeed, it was not really capable of being one, even leaving aside the fact it was single track and the weight restrictions. Traffic from the north for south Wales would naturally go via Gloucester. Traffic from the east for south Wales also had to go via Gloucester because there is no triangular junction at Stonehouse (although I suppose a reversal at Standish Jct might have been possible, if an operational nuisance). Traffic from Bristol for south Wales might in theory have gone via the bridge, but that would have required a reversal at Berkeley Road.

Of course once the tunnel opened, such coal traffic as there was to Sharpness could have gone that way, but until the Badminton Line opened at the start of the twentieth century, that would have necessitated a reversal in Bristol as well as a reversal at Berkeley Road. Even once the Badminton Line had opened, it would have been a rather circuitous route and still required the Berkeley Road reversal.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, doilum said:

Once upon a time Knottingley was deemed important enough to have it's own library (and sports centre, swimming pool etc etc...) which had a good archive of Harker material in the local history section. I'm not sure what happened to it as my good lady wife had moved on by then.

I know the collection of Bagley glass was in Pontefract museum a couple.of years ago. I would assume the Harker material is either at Wakefield museum of the new West Yorkshire archive in Wakefield. 

Your right though Knottingley is a shadow.of its former self 

23 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Arkendale.h was built at Richard's Ironworks in Lowestoft in 1937, Wastdale.h by Sharpness Shipyard in 1951.  Harkers owned the Sharpness Shipyard, using it as a maintenance base for their Severn fleet.

Adrian

Thanks for the extra info Adrian

35 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

The bridge was built to allow Forest of Dean coal to be shipped from Sharpness docks ...........

There's now a railway preservation scheme at both ends of the bridge ........ could they get together and emulate the Great Central with a reunification project ? ........................................................................................ maybe not !

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, 2251 said:

As has been said above, the Severn Bridge was primarily built to take coal traffic to Sharpness from the Forest of Dean. That traffic never materialised in the anticipated volume.

It was begun after the tunnel (in 1875) but finished well before (in 1879).

The bridge was never intended to be a major through route – indeed, it was not really capable of being one, even leaving aside the fact it was single track and the weight restrictions. Traffic from the north for south Wales would naturally go via Gloucester. Traffic from the east for south Wales also had to go via Gloucester because there is no triangular junction at Stonehouse (although I suppose a reversal at Standish Jct might have been possible, if an operational nuisance). Traffic from Bristol for south Wales might in theory have gone via the bridge, but that would have required a reversal at Berkeley Road.

Of course once the tunnel opened, such coal traffic as there was to Sharpness could have gone that way, but until the Badminton Line opened at the start of the twentieth century, that would have necessitated a reversal in Bristol as well as a reversal at Berkeley Road. Even once the Badminton Line had opened, it would have been a rather circuitous route and still required the Berkeley Road reversal.

So, guessing from what people have said, it’s loss to BR after the accident was no great thing, and gave BR a justifiable reason to close it and sell the remains off for scrap.  I wonder if the accident just speeded up the eventual closure?

Edited by jools1959
Typo

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

So, guessing from what people have said, it’s loss to BR after the accident was no great thing, and give BR a justifiable reason to close it and sell the remains off for scrap.  I wonder if the accident just speeded up the eventual closure?

It would not have survived Beeching

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, doilum said:

Try googling " River Severn Tales" by Chris Witt.

It's Chris Witts with an "s"*.  He published a book specifically about the disaster on its 50th anniversary: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Severn-Bridge-Disaster-25th-October/dp/0953271137/ (also available as a Kindle e-book).

This book covers a number of mishaps on the Severn, including the Severn Bridge disaster: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disasters-Severn-Chris-Witts-2002-07-01/dp/B01LPE2RWS

Tales of the River Severn is rather older and a bit trickier to find: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-River-Severn-Chris-Witts/dp/0953271110

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/focus/community/content/archive/chriswitt.shtml

52 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

It's Chris Witts with an "s"*.  He published a book specifically about the disaster on its 50th anniversary: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Severn-Bridge-Disaster-25th-October/dp/0953271137/ (also available as a Kindle e-book).

This book covers a number of mishaps on the Severn, including the Severn Bridge disaster: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disasters-Severn-Chris-Witts-2002-07-01/dp/B01LPE2RWS

Tales of the River Severn is rather older and a bit trickier to find: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tales-River-Severn-Chris-Witts/dp/0953271110

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/focus/community/content/archive/chriswitt.shtml

Thanks. Late night clumsy typing!

• Friendly/supportive 1