Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Customising Stock in Irreversible Ways

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, not sure if I can find the other bits to put this right.

100_5827a.jpg.60b0728de38e20b7712a222189433b45.jpg

BR Mk1 Diagram 30 Griddle Car made from leftovers of other conversions. It now has the correct bogies a pair of Trix Commonwealth ones again left overs from another conversion.

Enjoy modelling, create something for yourself.

On 23/10/2020 at 18:45, Fat Controller said:

I once converted a Lima HO Class 33 to 00....

Do you still have it? I remember seeing a conversion to make it bigger in MRC back in the late 70s.

I wish today's modelling magazines had the same articles that we use to see in the MRC, very inspirational.

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/10/2020 at 18:07, woodenhead said:

Have you tried placing a Hornby Clan in a hot oven to shrink it down to 2mm scale? :O

Erm, that's clearly not going to work, everyone knows that when things get hot they expand. It would come out 7mm scale...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/10/2020 at 14:31, MJI said:

Just do it, the value is meaningless.

Agreed.

If the intention is to sell it later, then just leave it in the box.

As an aside:

My brother has a collection of EFE/Corgi (etc) buses and constantly tells me how much they are worth as he trawls the various "collector" publications/websites.

I ask him if he plans to sell them and his answer is "no".

My reply is that they are then worth nothing.........................

He's the one with an accountant brains and can't comprehend my valuation of them.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Oh dear, not sure if I can find the other bits to put this right.

100_5827a.jpg.60b0728de38e20b7712a222189433b45.jpg

BR Mk1 Diagram 30 Griddle Car made from leftovers of other conversions. It now has the correct bogies a pair of Trix Commonwealth ones again left overs from another conversion.

Enjoy modelling, create something for yourself.

Do you still have it? I remember seeing a conversion to make it bigger in MRC back in the late 70s.

I wish today's modelling magazines had the same articles that we use to see in the MRC, very inspirational.

That coach reminded me of one or two cars I've had.

The 33 disappeared many years ago, alas, along with other delights, such as the green, white metal, GWR railcar. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
7 hours ago, newbryford said:

My brother has a collection of EFE/Corgi (etc) buses and constantly tells me how much they are worth as he trawls the various "collector" publications/websites.

I ask him if he plans to sell them and his answer is "no".

My reply is that they are then worth nothing.........................

I know a trader who considers such things nothing more that loft insulation. Truth is, the majority were bought, looked at and then live in their box. It's rare to find anything in the diecast world increase in value.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 24/10/2020 at 21:00, Sir TophamHatt said:

And this is what it really boils down to.
I've ruined a fair few (although less than 5) locos by trying to "improve" them so it's a big risk for me personally.

Some people may say "it's just modelling" but it's also worth remembering that some people are not confident and others don't particularly want to model in the same way as they do.

Hi

Buy cheap second hand models and practice on those until you have the skills to attempt the mods on something more valuable.

Cheers

Paul

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just reduced the resale value of a rake of coaches, but increased their value to me as a bit of weathering makes them  look better on my layout.

2AE01B0D-FF00-4312-A337-37402B10FEFA.jpeg.6386ab118dff18fe76f2e205a1c71900.jpeg

Bottom coach  is out of the box, middle is starting the weathering, top coach has first layer of dirt - note they are not finished yet.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I model in EM so any RTR stuff is ruined the minute I put new wheel sets in. That aside I have no concerns over resale value, all stock/vehicles is weathered as required. It is how it looks on the layout that is the important thing. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

If the model you want comes out of the box, fine, but for me what I want never comes out of the box; that’s just the start of the process.  None of my stock is ‘as new’, ranging from major surgery such as removing top feeds on panniers to at least a wash of weathering to take the ‘new’ off.  All bar one of my locos have new etched brass number plates, some passenger coaches are cut’n’shuts and all RTR ones have new numbers, as do my brake vans which are Tondu RU.  

Because those are the models I wanted and the RTR is just a means to an end, not the end itself.  Others have different ends and different means, it’s a broad church. 

• Agree 2

On 26/10/2020 at 00:44, JDW said:

Erm, that's clearly not going to work, everyone knows that when things get hot they expand. It would come out 7mm scale...

That's how you convert a Clan into a Britannia.

For me, I used to be a can't-reduce-the-resale-value type, but in more recent years I've changed my mind. These days, the models I value the most are the ones I've customised in some way, purely because they're mine. No one has anything quite like them, and I derive satisfaction from putting the work in to make them so. They're probably worth nothing to a collector, but I bought them for me, not them. I only really hesitate on models that are so nicely decorated that I don't want to risk damaging the overall aesthetic. Consequently, I have quite a few engines that just happen to be ex-works.

• Like 2

Hi all,

I have been ruining the resale value on a lot of models the past few months by my efforts to upgrade and rebuild them. But after the initial OH MY GOD What Have I Done moment with the first one, I thought What the hell and went merrily on my way hacking and painting. But these are things I wanted and the thought of what if I want to sell them has not come into it.

One way to look at it is I do not smoke. Some one who smokes spends thousands of pounds a year on it. And what do the get for their money  A pile of ash and a bad cough if they are lucky. I at least got what I wanted. I mean I started out with this and ended with that. Some examples are this Hall, N15and SECR tank. Not sure if any one else would ever want them, But I want them and that is good enough for me.

black old hall 2.jpg

black hall 12.jpg

S15.jpg

DSC_0925.JPG

Triang Saddle tank.jpg

DSC_0876.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, HonestTom said:

These days, the models I value the most are the ones I've customised in some way, purely because they're mine.

I think this is it.

While I'm happy to keep the boxes for stock, am I going to sell it in my lifetime?

No plans to at the moment.  Ergo, customise away.

I guess some customisations (IE, internal lighting, weathering, passengers) may actually increase their value from the initial purchase anyway.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It may, to modellers, if it is well done, but of course collectors want NIB.  Had to smile yesterday evening browsing 'Bay looking at a wagon claimed to have never been taken out of the box, but photographed outside of it!

• Like 2