Everything has now arrived for me to start on the Drummond class 45 0-6-2 tank.

Hi all,

Well as the title states Everything has now arrived for me to start on the Drummond class 45 0-6-2 tank. The 0-6-4 shunter will follow I hope. Ok I will admit now that they will just be close approximations of the originals. But they will be close enough for my purposes. As the old Wham song goes...Wish me luck etc........ :) 

DSC_0938.JPG

Drummond class 45.jpg

20200802_192630.jpg.95217912990a23f0d999d6f8bdf22705.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,

I am being hindered by lack of pictures. Londontram has very kindly found me so good ones. But I cannot seem to find any with a top down view or a view from the back. I might just have to go with an educated guess for what I cannot see.

It might be worth getting in touch with the G&SWR society who might be able to help. Also on here member uax6 (Andy) thinks he might have a drawing for one but needs to have a look for it.

Now there's an old saying that you should never model off a model as you could be building in mistakes that were built into the original model but due to the lack of other information I found this while searching the internet and even though it's a model it does give a better idea of what the rear end looks like and it's certainly better than a guess.

(Model Invertrains 7mm kit)

20201024_074644.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add content
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Hi Londontram,

Thanks for the picture. All I need now is decent picture of the cab roof. I can work out some of the details from this picture but not all, Please do not expect too much from this as I am not that gifted. Just a lucky amateur. This is the most difficult project I have tried so far. I will do my best.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

Hi all,

Here is the progress so far.

Hardest thing has been trying to sort out the shapes of the tops of the door frames. Put fillets of plasticard in and filed them as close to what they should be as I could. Still lots left to do.

So whats been done so far.

Removed all the moulded hand rails from round the cab and smoke box door,Plus the dart.

Removed the moulded whistle and the valves

Removed the chimney.

Removed the back steps as they are way too big for this engine.

Made 2 water tank filler caps.

Did all the beading and guttering on the cab roof.

Changed the front windows to round porthole type.

Added assorted bits of plasticard as you can see in the pictures.

That's it for now. More to show in a couple of days.

DSC_0939.JPG

DSC_0940.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I assume you have seen this previous thread ?

I have found 2 or maybe three negatives in my JJ Cunningham set of 16904 and 16926 which are side on and front 3/4 the third I can't read the number on and has a step under the bunker like on the NBR N15s so am not sure on that one. If they are of interest I can scan later on for you? - If only they had got to Annan there might have been more views (where JJ appears to have taken hundreds of negatives at)  

Ok folks,

I have been working some more on the engine this afternoon. She is now ready for the paint shop. Just waiting for the transfers to arrive. She is going to be this engine.

So this is what I have done.

Removed all the moulded hand rails from round the cab and smoke box door, Plus the smoke box dart.

New wire hand rails all around the engine. Made a valve type smokebox door dart and fitted them all.

Footsteps made and fitted where needed.

Removed the moulded whistle and the safety valves

Made a whistle out of plastic and fitted it.

Replaced the safety valves with GWR style cover.

Lamp irons fitted front and rear.

Break pipes fitted front and rear.

Coupling hooks fitted.

Sand boxes scratch built and fitted to front of engine

New rear wheel of correct type fitted

Removed the chimney. Fitted correct chimney

Removed the back steps as they are way too big for this engine. Put replacement ones of the correct size and shape on(Donated from an old Triang M7).

Scratch built 2 water tank filler caps.

Did all the beading and guttering on the cab roof.

Fitted small plastic fillets into the cab door tops and filed them in to more or less the correct shape

Filed down the lower part of the doors to look more like the Class 45.

Changed the front windows to round porthole type.

Glazed front and rear windows. May have been a mistake doing this as I will have to blank them off while painting.

Added assorted bits of plasticard as you can see in the pictures.

When you write it down it does not sound that much. But it has been quite intensive from my point of view.

Before any starts to count the rivets on this engine When I first mentioned building it in the Pugbash thread I did say that it was being made to be in the flavour off the class 45 and not an exact replica. There are too many slight differences to be able to make a 100% perfect copy. But I am happy with it so far.

I was going to put a cover plate over the lower front of the footplate to make it look more like the Class 45. But this where it attaches to the chassis so it is a no go at the moment. I may make a removable cover for the front if I get round to it. So many engines and so little time..... :D

20200917_135548.jpg.118cbe752d0199ad721bdd5d6bab1f07.jpg

DSC_0941.JPG

DSC_0942.JPG

DSC_0943.JPG

DSC_0944.JPG

DSC_0945.JPG

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I looked at JJ Cunningham, but failed to check the rest of my scanned negatives. So here are two more 1607916565_16904MRboxbehind.JPG.148bf314d4a2577642e674763f6c743e.JPG155728731_16906atCrewe.JPG.36f673f1a9df6a95f4f341f64afac9ab.JPG

Sorry none looking down for you, but these two appear to show a locker on the bunker bulkhead, whereas the one of 17 appeared to suggest there was not a locker. 

I have not got any more scanned negatives of this class, although there may be still one or two more negs of these somewhere. 

Enjoy

Duncan

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

Sorry, I looked at JJ Cunningham, but failed to check the rest of my scanned negatives. So here are two more 1607916565_16904MRboxbehind.JPG.148bf314d4a2577642e674763f6c743e.JPG155728731_16906atCrewe.JPG.36f673f1a9df6a95f4f341f64afac9ab.JPG

Sorry none looking down for you, but these two appear to show a locker on the bunker bulkhead, whereas the one of 17 appeared to suggest there was not a locker. 

I have not got any more scanned negatives of this class, although there may be still one or two more negs of these somewhere. 

Enjoy

Duncan

Hi Blanford,

Sorry my eyesight must be going. I miss read your original post. So please ignore my earlier reply. Many thanks for the pictures. The locker you talk about. Is this what looks like an oil drum hanging just behind the rear wheel. I am not sure what that is But due to that space being taken up with the couplings I will not need to model it. One thing has been solved for me. That there are 2 steps on the front of the water tanks and not one. So I will add the second set of steps tomorrow. There do appear to be several variations in this class. Some with the normal smoke box dart and some without the brass safety valve cover. Also the position of the water tank fillers and the hand rails that run along the top of the water tanks. Fortunately the engine I am basing mine one does not have the hand rails. Which is a blessing. I blunted 4 drill bits drilling holes into this engine.

The picture of the engine with the shunting steps shows this engine with an extra pipe going into the smokebox and running along the top of the left hand water tank. Any idea what it is. One last question did they paint over the brass safety valve cover or was it just dirty in the pictures. Hard to tell in black and white.

Again many thanks to all who have helped me with this project.

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, cypherman said:

Hi Blanford,

Sorry my eyesight must be going. I miss read your original post. So please ignore my earlier reply. Many thanks for the pictures. The locker you talk about. Is this what looks like an oil drum hanging just behind the rear wheel. I am not sure what that is But due to that space being taken up with the couplings I will not need to model it. One thing has been solved for me. That there are 2 steps on the front of the water tanks and not one. So I will add the second set of steps tomorrow. There do appear to be several variations in this class. Some with the normal smoke box dart and some without the brass safety valve cover. Also the position of the water tank fillers and the hand rails that run along the top of the water tanks. Fortunately the engine I am basing mine one does not have the hand rails. Which is a blessing. I blunted 4 drill bits drilling holes into this engine.

The picture of the engine with the shunting steps shows this engine with an extra pipe going into the smokebox and running along the top of the left hand water tank. Any idea what it is. One last question did they paint over the brass safety valve cover or was it just dirty in the pictures. Hard to tell in black and white.

Again many thanks to all who have helped me with this project.

Morning , 

I'm glad to have been able to help through my neg archive, especially as they were gone from normal service so long ago. .  I would suspect the pipe on 17 is the ejector pipe, you would have to assume it was routed under the cladding originally and that at a repair it was decided it made maintenance easier if it was on the outside of the cladding. 

As you say most of the photos are indistinct with regards to the safety valve cover apart from that of 06 which certainly appears to be painted. 

Best wishes

Duncan

Hi Duncan, 

Again thanks for the pictures. Between you and Londontram you have helped me a great deal in this project. Well I have done it again. Why get 1 N2 when 4 will do. I have just picked up another H/D n2 and a very nice Wrenn N2 in almost perfect physical condition. The motor needs a service and it is missing it's buffers, Hand rails and couplings. Everything I have in my spares box. And it was only £21.00. So a bargain. And it is also boxed.

Edited by cypherman

37 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Hi Duncan, 

Again thanks for the pictures. Between you and Londontram you have helped me a great deal in this project. Well I have done it again. Why get 1 N2 when 4 will do. I have just picked up another H/D n2 and a very nice Wrenn N2 in almost perfect physical condition. The motor needs a service and it is missing it's buffers, Hand rails and couplings. Everything I have in my spares box. And it was only £21.00. So a bargain. And it is also boxed.

Hmm I think I might give it a week or so before I look at getting one just to let cypherman get his N2 buying binge out of his system lol

Joking aside its coming on really well and I'm really enjoying this thread, keep the updates coming.

Steve

17 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

Your welcome, 

By the way the 'oil drum' is the brake cylinder 

Look forward to seeing your continued progress

Unfortunately as I said due to the rear coupling being in the way I cannot model this. A real pity as it is quite novel.

Hey Londontram you can start buying the N2's . My wife has said enough is enough.

Do you think I can bodge one of these......lol.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cypherman said:

Do you think I can bodge one of these......lol.

Now Cypherman you should know by now not to dangle these carrots in front of me now as to the Garrett. Maybe maybe not you'd need some 9F chassis which would need to be motorised and an awfull lot of plasticard. 

You might be better of doing the LMS Bayer Garet with a couple of Triang 2-6-2 tank loco chassis with the rear bogies removed. 

The chassis already comes motorised and if you cross wire them it would never stall. You'd still have to pretty much scratch build the body though. But then you might be able to use a Mainline parallel boiler Royal Scot body for the center section.

20201026_114104.jpg

Maybe two of these would be a good chassis choose

20201026_115115.jpg

Edited by Londontram
Add photo

Hi Londontram,

Perhaps I should just stick with these 2 then....... :). On a more serious note the LMS Garret was certainly more numerous and there fore more useful than the 2 I have. They are now about 30 years old but still run well. If I remember they were both DJH kits. But if I can find all the relevant parts I might have a go at a version of the LMS Garret. But it will have to go on what is becoming a long list of projects. I believe I have seen a version of this engine using 3mt chassis but using the old kitmaster kit as  base.

DSC_0946.JPG

DSC_0947.JPG

DSC_0948.JPG

DSC_0949.JPG

• Like 1

Look and ye will find.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Boxed-00-HO-Rosebud-Kitmaster-No-25-Beyer-Garratt-shell-only-no-motor/264911033112?hash=item3daded9318:g:2tgAAOSw37tflBiv

Unfortunately I have spent up for this month so the cost of the kit and 3 3mt chassis is beyond me at the moment. May be I should not have bought all those N2's. Ah what a gift hindsight is. But if one is for sale there will be others. I know this one has been built but I am sure that it could be dismantled enough for some one to use.

Kitmaster made a huge range of loco models that Airfix only made a couple of. They made a Scot and a Coronation which I am supprissed that Airfix did not continue making

http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/Locomotives.htm

Edited by cypherman
  • Like 1

Hmmm still a fair price but with 5 days to go I bet it doesn't stay that price for long,

if you did want to scratch build the square bunker version might be the simplest of the two to go for.

Anyway get back to your 45 Class you and stop going off at a tangent lol

Edited by Londontram
Add content