Neuvic Entier

SNCF stephen

I had this topic penned out a while ago, but then my internet crashed and I lost it all and its taken me a while to get up the creative juices to have another go at it.

Some of you will know that I have been blogging about my French SNCF layout that I am currently working on, for those that do not then this will serve as a summary. I do enjoy the blogs but one of the things it lacks is the feedback that can be obtained through a topic. One of the things that has helped me move this project on has been the feedback I have received from the topic when it was on the old forum and so with this in mind I decided to produce this topic as a sort of summary of the layout. Rather than add all the detail of the blog this will be more of a summary where there will be more pictures of the layout as a whole entity than smaller component parts.

I think I have pretty much settled on the layout location which is in the Limousin region of France. The single track line forms the terminus of what is essentially a very large triangle junction off the Limoges to Ussel line. The Ussel end of the spur leaves the line near to Chatteuxneuf Bujaleuf station (which is perversely meant to serve the nearby town of Chatteuxneuf Le Foret, about 4km straight line distance away!). The Limoges end of the spur joins in a rather unremarkable location near to where the line runs next to La Maulde River.

post-6976-127506562615_thumb.jpg

The spur to Ussel was constructed first as a branch line that served several logging camps and passenger facilities were built soon after. These services expanded and due to the areas rich resources the line saw increasing use especially during the first and second World Wars. It was in between the wars that the spur to Limoges was constructed with a small halt on the edge of Chatteuxneuf Le Foret. Hunting has always been popular in this area and many of the passengers on the local train services come to Neuvic Entier for this reason. The current period I am modelling is the late 60’s/early70’s but I have enough stock to run a reasonable steam service and I am hoping to expand the collection of railcars to include even some very modern versions that are currently being operated.

post-6976-127506559694_thumb.jpg

The layout measures 5 foot by 1 ½ foot for the main section with a further 3 foot by 1 foot. A small removable fiddle yard has been constructed for the Limoges Spur, this is currently in the early stages of being landscaped.

post-6976-127506557246_thumb.jpg

The track plan is simple, although in retrospect I would have made some changes to make it more prototypical. It is still enjoyable to run. I used Peco Setrack because I had a lot of it spare from a previous project and its fairly reliable. I am intending on scratch building some French Semaphore signals in the near future so that the track does not look too bare.

post-6976-127506553951_thumb.jpg

The buildings come from a variety of sources manufacturers such as Pola, Faller, MKD, Kibri, SAI and Peco. I have scratch built two buildings so far and the intention is to make another two buildings. I found building from scratch time consuming so I am customising my technique to get quicker buildings. I intend to put filament lights into a number of the buildings at some stage in the future.

post-6976-127506558421_thumb.jpg

There are over 120 trees on the layout, a lot of these come from Woodland Scenics with other manufacturers including Busch and those terrible little wirey ones that do the job but will eventually get replaced.

post-6976-127506552956_thumb.jpg

Rolling stock is mostly off the shelf and is usually just what I can find on Ebay. French Rolling stock is especially expensive and the Picasso Railcars that were made by Del Prado are highly sought after. I have been lucky enough to acquire two of them and so far I have fitted a motor to one. These railcars will be the backbone of the passenger movements. Other notable stock is a Piko 66000 locomotive, a Hobbytrain shunter and two Fleischmann steam locomotives.

post-6976-127506561597_thumb.jpg

Future plans for the layout include repainting the road system, adding power lines, expanding the town, smartening up parts of the town, replacing trees as well as some of the other projects mentioned earlier in the post.

Archived