Heljan announce O gauge 73/1 and 27

AY Mod

Interestingly, all of the 73s are being offered as individually numbered locos -- not, as has been more normal for Heljan O gauge, mostly unnumbered with one or two numbered locos.

Is this a sign of O gauge evolving into something more like the mainstream OO RTR market? 

Paul

4 hours ago, Fenman said:

Interestingly, all of the 73s are being offered as individually numbered locos -- not, as has been more normal for Heljan O gauge, mostly unnumbered with one or two numbered locos.

Is this a sign of O gauge evolving into something more like the mainstream OO RTR market? 

Paul

Means if I want one then I'll have to renumber it....wasn't expecting that!

10 hours ago, Fenman said:

Paul

I believe it is as more people moving into the scale actually just want one they can plonk on the layout without having to buy transfers etc. however I’m sure it’s easy enough to renumber them as I want. But at least I’ll be able just to plug in a chip this time without hard wiring and it’ll be ready to go until I get round to the numbers

Edited by 47606odin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AY Mod said:

TBH as a 4mm modeller I’m more interested in the location of that photograph of  the ED on the warflats but I’m looking forward to seeing a 7mm because I feel diesels suit the scale.... unfortunately not my space or pocket ... but good luck to them.

Griff

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, griffgriff said:

I’m more interested in the location of that photograph of  the ED on the warflats

Andover area? Military, through roads, no third rail.

Edit. Apparently it was Oxford. Still think it was a good guess though!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Crisis Rail said:

Looks like it's definitely a move over to the "darkside" :D

Ian

Careful Ian. “The pull of the dark side is strong. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.”

I bought my first wagon just over a month ago. I’m now up to 9 wagons, a Dapol 08 and a Heljan 20. And both the 26 and 27 have been added to the shopping list. Help!

Anybody know how much Kidneys go for?

PJ10

• Funny 3

On 24/10/2020 at 14:14, Fenman said:

Paul

RTR stock is evolving - it's just the scenic side that still needs a reasonable amount of putting together.

Ian

• Agree 1

Marvellous news, and great to see O now being offered as RTR. It's been an expensive year for me, having a Dapol Evening Star 66779, Revolution DRS 37405 and now a Heljan GBRf 73107 on order! I'm going to need to build a bigger house to make room for these. Looking forward to becoming an O gauge modeller and I hope we see many more RTR! (I utterly hate decals). 

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Update today announced by Heljan I think on he progress of the 73 project. Hopefully some cad pictures

CAD images and further information now available to view at www.Heljan.co.uk 

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks good. If I may suggest, please take the time to do a digital livery sample in Dutch. Dapol got their bodyside windows very wrong in 00, and it really stands out when you try to correct their incorrect application of Dutch livery. Taking the time now will save the inevitable grumbles later if the proportions/locations aren't quite right. The same problem exists on the 00 33 sadly.

• Thanks 1

On 20/03/2021 at 12:24, SouthernMafia said:

Looks good. If I may suggest, please take the time to do a digital livery sample in Dutch. Dapol got their bodyside windows very wrong in 00, and it really stands out when you try to correct their incorrect application of Dutch livery. Taking the time now will save the inevitable grumbles later if the proportions/locations aren't quite right. The same problem exists on the 00 33 sadly.

On that note, while I don't know much about 73's, on every photo I have seen of one the small 'window shape grilles' on bodyside are in line with the bodyside windows, and are the same size. On the CAD image they look smaller and are positioned noticeably lower down. Don't know if they were like that on some examples, but like I say, it doesn't match any of the photos I've seen.

If it's wrong it would be a shame to miss it.

ED experts care to weigh in?  

2 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

On that note, while I don't know much about 73's, on every photo I have seen of one the small 'window shape grilles' on bodyside are in line with the bodyside windows, and are the same size. On the CAD image they look smaller and are positioned noticeably lower down. Don't know if they were like that on some examples, but like I say, it doesn't match any of the photos I've seen.

If it's wrong it would be a shame to miss it.

ED experts care to weigh in?  

The second sentence on the press release say's 'Final additions and tweaks are now being made prior to the design being approved (note the bodyside grille at the wrong height - this is being corrected now!).' so I would presume its already noted and being dealt with. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, D6775 said:

The second sentence on the press release say's 'Final additions and tweaks are now being made prior to the design being approved (note the bodyside grille at the wrong height - this is being corrected now!).' so I would presume its already noted and being dealt with. 

That's alright then! My bad...

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Press release:

**O GAUGE CLASS 27 ARTWORK APPROVED**

Announced last autumn at the same time as our retooled O gauge Class 26s, our new O gauge Class 27s are making excellent progress. Following a thorough review of the first samples, several modifications are being made to the tooling to improve what was already an impressive model. Headcode boxes, bufferbeams, cab front details and snowploughs are all receiving attention to make them more accurate or (in the case of the 'ploughs), easier to fit.

We've also now completed the artwork for the decoration of the models, reproduced here for you to study and enjoy. Thanks to Brian Daniels, Martyn Sanders and Class 27 expert Andrew Donnelly for their invaluable assistance with these models! 

No fewer than eight versions are in preparation, covering BR green and BR blue variants from the 1960s to late-1980s. Variations within the production include two types of bogie footsteps (with original extended top step or parallel sided), locomotives with or without steam heat boilers and their associated roof grilles and water tanks, two designs of windscreen wipers and vacuum or dual braked variants. 

As part of the evolution of our O gauge models, we're stepping up the quality of decoration across these new models, with lots of additional fine printed and painted details on the ends, bogies and underframe. 

A wealth of fine detail includes superb cab interiors, carefully designed bogies and underframe parts, etched grilles, wire handrails and a removable engine room window on each side as per the prototype. Standard features include plug-and-play DCC capability using the ESU LokSound XL pin decoder, provision for a smoke unit, separately switchable cab, tail and engine room lights in DC and DCC modes, illuminated headcode panels and a heavy duty all-wheel drive chassis with twin 5-pole motors and flywheels. 

In response to customer feedback, we're producing a mix of unnumbered and fully decorated locos, plus two factory weathered editions.

#2770 BR green with small yellow panels unnumbered

2770.jpg

#2771 BR green 5370 with full yellow ends WEATHERED*

2771.jpg

#2772 BR green with cream waistband & full yellow ends unnumbered

2772.jpg

#2773 BR Rail Blue with full yellow ends unnumbered (1970s)*

2773.jpg

#2774 BR Rail Blue with full yellow ends unnumbered (1980s)

2774.jpg

#2775 BR two-tone green D5382 with small yellow panels

2775.jpg

#2776 BR Blue D5389 with small yellow panels

2776.jpg

#2777 BR Rail Blue 27032 with Inverness Stag logos WEATHERED

2777.jpg

HELJAN UK stockists report strong advance orders for all versions of this impressive new model, especially the BR Blue variants. Reserve yours now to avoid disappointment! 
These classic BRCW Type 2s will be the ideal companions for our new Mk2/Mk2a coaches, due for release in 2022, and the latest batch of BR blue/grey Mk1 coaches which are expected to start arriving at HELJAN stockists in the UK this week. 

At current rate of progress we expect the Class 27s to be available in mid-2022, but look out for further updates as development progresses. Modified and improved engineering samples are expected to arrive for review shortly.

• Like 2