Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Idle query: has anybody ever seen a Southern Region layout with OHLE in the goods yard?

• RMweb Premium

Apropos of nothing really, but I was re-assembling the pantograph on my Hornby Class 71 this afternoon (thinking why did they bother making it operational) when it occurred to me I don't recall ever seeing a layout with OHLE suitable for this model in over 40 years of reading model railway magazines;  does anybody recall seeing / reading about one?

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, johnofwessex said:

How many locations were fitted with overhead wiring for them?

According to a letter from David Monk-Steel in August 2016 HM the following had ''significant' amounts of OHLE:-

Hither Green, Tonbridge, Paddock Wood, Ashford, Dover, Bricklayers Arms, Angerstein Wharf, Plumstead, Hoo Junction, Rochester, Gillingham, Sittingbourne, Faversham, Snowdon colliery, Shepherdswell, betteshanger colliery.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Looking through Dagworth's useful link, quite a number. Originally Balcombe, obviously. The modern (?) era added The Brick, Hither Green, Ashford, Hoo Junction, Faversham, Snowdown, Shepherdswell, Deal, Dover. I'll check Moody for more. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Spamcan,

If I remember correctly it was 'Brockley Green' that I saw once at an exhibition.  It had OHLE in the goods yard.  An entertaining, and cleverly designed, layout operated by a truly friendly guy.  The really clever bit was the hidden return line.  I had never seen overhead on the SR before, so he talked me through it.

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi Spamcan,

If I remember correctly it was 'Brockley Green' that I saw once at an exhibition.  It had OHLE in the goods yard.  An entertaining, and cleverly designed, layout operated by a truly friendly guy.  The really clever bit was the hidden return line.  I had never seen overhead on the SR before, so he talked me through it.

Hope that's of use.

Regards,

Alex.

If you look at Dagworth's link to a previous thread, Judge Dread posted on there about his layout. These days he posts as John Wass.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 24/10/2020 at 21:16, Oldddudders said:

Moody (4th Edition 1968), despite lots of data about Kent Coast Electrification, makes no mention of freight facilities or services. 

No, I can't ever remember any at Plumstead, for instance (see above [waits for the photo to appear!]