On 25/10/2020 at 22:29, waggy said:

Back in the 80's i had a Prototype Models card kit based on Heckington Station  building not sure if it's still available also had one of their signal box kits, not sure if it was Heckington.

The Heckington station kit is still available from Freestone Models and also crops up regularly  on Ebay (there's one on there at the moment).  I believe the signal box is a model of that at Stamford and is perhaps narrower than usual due to the restrictions of the site (proximity of the river).

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

I took a trip to Heckington yesterday and decided to photograph Great Hale Drove level crossing which is just east of the station.  The crossing has automatic half barriers and is a mixture of a modern LED single aspect and semaphore signals.

6EAB5B1E-FE4A-49E0-8A7E-8817919410B5.jpeg

9975B454-6571-4725-8BCD-38E2CF9CC523.jpeg

E0BCA3C8-7CBB-43FC-BB44-46E0BA69D29C.jpeg

EE8D1562-5F75-4B78-9E3D-AC3226F7ADA4.jpeg

9711F317-5A1B-4BE4-A889-11096D98183B.jpeg

30BE8568-41D8-4E5C-89CE-BE1FE37A4F1B.jpeg

• Like 4
  • RMweb Gold

Also yesterday, managed to get a Prototype Models GNR/LNER Heckington station kit which will be built and used mainly as a footprint and a guide for a scratch built version by the same guy who’s building the signal box,

7 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

Also yesterday, managed to get a Prototype Models GNR/LNER Heckington station kit which will be built and used mainly as a footprint and a guide for a scratch built version by the same guy who’s building the signal box,

That is definitely a step forward

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

My Heckington station kit arrived today.  To say that it'd going to be a challenge is somewhat understated :o.  It's printed on strong card but with no pre-cut marks and the instructions are "minimal", a Metcalfe kit this isn't :blink::blink::blink:

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, 2750Papyrus said:

No, nor is it Superquick, but it does make a nice model, particularly if you improve the roof  coverings and details such as gutters and drain pipes.  

I plan to use Ratio or Wills detailing parts instead of trying to cut out guttering and down pipes etc.  I’ll see what’s available regarding replacing the roof and and windows.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, David Bell said:

Looks like the basis of a good model with some work. All the best with it.

Cheers

David

I keep looking at the kit and then a certain part of my anatomy puckers up, and I put it away :wacko:.

• Funny 1
  • RMweb Gold

I think I’m going to use one of my modelling friends advice and scratch build the station from plastic card and use the kit as a guide.  I’ve built card kits before, mainly Superquick and Metcalfe but I’ve always felt that they lack the “feel” of a building as it’s all very flat, no relief on brickwork etc.

Has anyone ever scratch built a station, or any other building using this technique?

Edited by jools1959

Hi Jools,

I have done a bit of that before. It is a good way of producing something which will be an improvement on the card kit.

You need to plan carefully the various layers of plastic you are using to build up the effect you are looking to create. All doable though. I am sure a lot of folk on here will have done something similar. Good luck with it

Cheers

David

• Like 1
  • RMweb Gold

I know that this is a bold statement but I’ve decided that once I’ve bought two EWS, DB Schenker or DB Cargo Class 66’s (either Bachmann or Hatton’s) for my RHTT train, I’m not going to buy anymore rolling stock until my Heckington layout is nearing completion.  

I just feel that for the East Midlands Trains passenger services, I have four Hornby Class 153’s, two Realtrack Class 156’s and a single Bachmann Class 158, and I think I’ve got it covered though, I would love to have another Realtrack 156.

For the Boston steel train, I’ve got DBC Hornby Class 60 and Hornby railroad Class 66, 66109 in the PD Ports livery, plus thirteen Bachmann BYA’s.  I know that the Hornby Class 66 doesn’t compare with Bachmann and Hatton’s models but the livery looks good and if you put lights in and sound, it should scrub up well.  If Hatton’s ever do this version in their next batch, I’ll quietly retire the Hornby version.

I have a test train, top and tailed by Bachmann Class 37’s, 37025 and 37099 with two Hornby Mk2’s and a Britannia Pacific ”Mentor” car.  I also have on order a Accurascale Class 37, 37409 and a Revolution Trains “Caroline”.

I think with what I’ve got and the layout size, I will have a busy operating session.

Edited by jools1959
Spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, great central said:

EMT livery HST for the summer dated extra?

I did think about the HST but it’s too big for the layout and trying to find any of Hornby’s East Midlands Trains power cars and coaching stock is now near on impossible to find without spending silly money.

• RMweb Gold

I’ve just received a set of pictures from Britannia Pacific to say that my Network Rail Test Coach “Mentor” is finished and ready to ship.  It will go with my two Hornby Mk2’s.

DBAC3912-3BEC-4B73-86BA-AD5C6AE3009C.jpeg

AC3CA8FC-0610-4CAE-B403-1F8B0A44E30A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • RMweb Gold

I had a conversation with a friend regarding Heckington and he suggested that I move it to the present day and East Midlands Railway, rather than East Midlands Trains.  We got further into the discussion and as he pointed out, I’m having my units sent away to either be renumbered, weathered or both, so renaming them to EMR shouldn’t be that difficult.

I was seriously tempted, mainly because all my photographs are taken in the 2020 EMR period and was my Hornby 66109 repainted into it’s PD Ports livery before or after EMR took over.  After looking through Flickr, it’s safe to say it was repainted April/May 2019, so it scrapes in.

I think I’ll stick to my original 2018/2019 EMT time period mainly on costs, but I just know that idea is going to keep pecking away!!!

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, great central said:

But then you'll have to dispose of all your other units and get a load of purple 170s, now that would be boring. Or maybe just the one cos they'd all look the same?

I’ve decided to keep with my East Midlands Trains stock because less work when renumbered and weathered.  The only reason I considered EMR was I could get a former Hornby LNER HST, rename it for EMR.  But in reality, it’s too big and I can use the money spent on that, could be used on the layout.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As nothing much is happening on the layout as I'm still awaiting point motors, signals and a few other bits, plus to be honest it's too cold to go into a garage and start banging about.  So, I thought I'd show you two of the East Midlands trains Class 153's I've recently had back from GC Weathering.  I'm planning to run them as a pair, 153311 is DCC fitted but no sound and 153355 is both DCC and sound fitted.  The DCC work was done by Digitrains and have been speed matched.

I've got another two at GC Weathering, 153374 will remain as it is but dirty, the other is to be weathered and renumbered as 153383 and named "Ecclesbourne Valley Railway - 150 Years".  Both have DCC and sound fitted and probably run with one or both of my Realtrack 156’s.

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 2
  • RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, EWS FAN said:

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress of this layout as it takes shape.

Hopefully progress will advance pretty quickly once I’ve got the DCC Concept’s point motors, the trestles and a few other bits and pieces but I think it’s got to warm up as well as the guy doing the track laying says it’s too cold :unsure:.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After what seems an eternity, my DCC Concepts point motors have finally arrived.  Once this lockdown has been lifted, I will take them as well extra track, signals and other items to Lincolnshire so then the guy laying the track and wiring it all up can crack on.

4E1E4489-5501-4F32-B954-C6D0651A9AFF.jpeg

• Like 1