.stl exchange

Sithlord75

A question for the 3D drawers out there - how many of you are willing to swap .stl files for strictly non-commercial personal use? 

I've done a couple of LNWR cattle wagon diagrams (D21 and D22) for me (and they satisfy my present standard of modelling fidelity - I accept others have higher standards!) and I've been asked if I would mind sending the .stl files on for others who'd like them - which I am going to do.  Because I used my modelling time to create them for me (and to be completely honest, my employer's time too - but I do need to have projects to teach with!!!) I don't feel I need compensating for my time - if it were a commission to do a drawing of something I have no use for that would be different!  I'd also like to acknowledge the modellers who have been kind enough to share some of their files with me.

Swap may not be the word for it - some have lots of files, some have a few, different interests etc but I figure it is worth starting a conversation.

Edited by Sithlord75
clarity
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2

I would be happy to share my designs (currently only one) with those interested. I don't think many would be interested in them though as they don't represent British rolling stock. Here is what I've done so far using Fusion 360 and a Photon S resin printer (I'm sure Keith Armes won't have any issues in identifying the prototype:

engine_front.JPG

engine_rear.JPG

Photo_20201015-1319_1744.jpg

Photo_20201015-1319_1745.jpg

• Like 8

Completely agree, Kevin! The designs I've done, I've done the work on for me, for my own enjoyment, rather than as any kind of commercial project. If others can make use of them too, they're very welcome to. So far, that's really just a few GER wagons and associated bits and pieces like axle boxes. I'd frankly much rather share STLs with people than go through the faff of doing and cleaning/preparing more prints to post. 

• Like 3

Very interested but I need a printer to play this game. A quick look suggests that a Mars Pro 2 would be most suitable (with predictable Elegoo availability problems) or maybe a Phrozen mini mono 4K but they are quite a bit more expensive. Christmas is coming but I don’t think FC pockets are that deep. 

Hi All.

I have a GWR China Clay wagon ready to go if anyone is interested? It fits a 2mmSA chassis although I cannot remember which one!

image.png.4197f7b20933cc5ca7c9c410763e5197.png

image.png.866c8b06c8cacdb475d6a7c481057519.png

image.png.f06b53812692fad9c32bb35a5ecc2e5d.png

Usual disclaimers, only for personal use, etc, etc...

Julia :)

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

It's a very personal decision, and I understand some people get very angry when photos thay post get used by others, not even acknowledging who took the photo, but for me, railway modelling is a hobby that I enjoy, and I am happy to help anyone without expecting reward or acknowledgement. Personally, if I did look to make money out of what I do, it would no longer be a hobby, and would become a chore.

So far, I have managed not to succumb to buying a 3D printer, although I do create models to be printed. As prices fall, it becomes harder to resist, but I know I would spend all my free time printing and not building my layout, if I did get one.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 25/10/2020 at 22:32, richbrummitt said:

Very interested but I need a printer to play this game. A quick look suggests that a Mars Pro 2 would be most suitable (with predictable Elegoo availability problems) or maybe a Phrozen mini mono 4K but they are quite a bit more expensive. Christmas is coming but I don’t think FC pockets are that deep. 

Dunno that you need a printer as such to play -@nebnoswal can advise if he is willing to play along with his stuff.  The arrangement we have is we take it in turns to purchase the resin/cleaner to go in it.    I think that is what @queensquare is planning to do as well.

D22.jpg.c0bdf507e329b76e4ffe18f4bb02e10a.jpg

374322243_BeerBarrels.jpg.aec62dfc07343bf6428c0374c6f35f0f.jpg

A couple of my things - the LNWR D22 Large cattle wagon (designed to go on 2-382) and some beer barrels.  I've found that while the barrels are joined for printing, a sharp knife down between them is enough to break the up.  This size fits as a load.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

both Julias  and your own Kevin  look good however both alas would be a sidetrack from my own interests

Colonel Stephens with a hankering to SDJR   although some Southern / BR motor bogie frames would be good :D

Nick B

Edited by nick_bastable

• RMweb Premium
On 25/10/2020 at 01:10, Sithlord75 said:

A question for the 3D drawers out there - how many of you are willing to swap .stl files for strictly non-commercial personal use? 

I've done a couple of LNWR cattle wagon diagrams (D21 and D22) for me (and they satisfy my present standard of modelling fidelity - I accept others have higher standards!) and I've been asked if I would mind sending the .stl files on for others who'd like them - which I am going to do.  Because I used my modelling time to create them for me (and to be completely honest, my employer's time too - but I do need to have projects to teach with!!!) I don't feel I need compensating for my time - if it were a commission to do a drawing of something I have no use for that would be different!  I'd also like to acknowledge the modellers who have been kind enough to share some of their files with me.

Swap may not be the word for it - some have lots of files, some have a few, different interests etc but I figure it is worth starting a conversation.

Hi,

Product Development Officer here.

This seems like a really good idea and I wonder if the Association could facilitate it in some way. I thought that we could create a list of drawings available for sharing, with an item description, the designer name and contact details, cost if any, and any other useful information. The list could be included on the Association website under Products or some other area. I will discuss this on Saturday when we have a Zoom Committee meeting and report back.

Does anyone think my proposal is worth looking at, and would anyone be willing to use the service?

Nigel Hunt

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nig H said:

Hi,

This seems like a really good idea and I wonder if the Association could facilitate it in some way. I thought that we could create a list of drawings available for sharing, with an item description, the designer name and contact details, cost if any, and any other useful information. The list could be included on the Association website under Products or some other area. I will discuss this on Saturday when we have a Zoom Committee meeting and report back.

Does anyone think my proposal is worth looking at, and would anyone be willing to use the service?

Nigel Hunt

I'd be happy to support the idea Nigel.  I'll start working on a list for you.

12 minutes ago, Nig H said:

Hi,

Nigel Hunt

Congratulations on your appointment Nigel and thank you for taking on the role. Something that I was aware the association is/was doing (because I was approached to help) is to try and replace the small whitemetal castings that are no longer feasible with printed replacements. This would appear to be a good way to augment the shop listings with relevant useful items. Ideally the list would include some thumbnail views of the item if space on the hosting site is available for such. Windows 10 has a 3D viewer for the file type 'built in' but it saves the downloading and opening of many files to find out it is what you were hoping for. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

Dunno that you need a printer as such to play -@nebnoswal can advise if he is willing to play along with his stuff.  The arrangement we have is we take it in turns to purchase the resin/cleaner to go in it.    I think that is what @queensquare is planning to do as well.

Sorry Kevin, I don't follow. The .stl file is only the geometry to create an instruction file for the printer so I would need a printer* to make any physical item. My head has told my heart for a long time that I do not need or want a printer because I don't need to be doing the resin pouring and cleaning if I can avoid it. nebnoswal and yourself are on the other side of the world so probably not practical to have things printed there and shipped here. The thread is about sharing the files rather than people printing models for others. I completely understand that people want to only print their own stuff too because modelling time is precious and printing for other people does not further your own projects. So this thread is changing the imbalanced thinking on that printer purchase, especially now the cheaper ones that are reportedly easy to use have a build area that will do a 70' coach.

*Read this in the sense of a physical device that I use myself or a person who fulfils the job for me (like a copy shop). 

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

I'd be happy to support the idea Nigel.  I'll start working on a list for you.

Hi,

It might be better to wait and see what the Committee thinks about this. There might be issues I've not thought about that put a spanner in the works- unlikely but you never know. I'm please with the response so far, thanks.

Nigel Hunt

20 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

Sorry Kevin, I don't follow. The .stl file is only the geometry to create an instruction file for the printer so I would need a printer* to make any physical item. My head has told my heart for a long time that I do not need or want a printer because I don't need to be doing the resin pouring and cleaning if I can avoid it. nebnoswal and yourself are on the other side of the world so probably not practical to have things printed there and shipped here. The thread is about sharing the files rather than people printing models for others. I completely understand that people want to only print their own stuff too because modelling time is precious and printing for other people does not further your own projects. So this thread is changing the imbalanced thinking on that printer purchase, especially now the cheaper ones that are reportedly easy to use have a build area that will do a 70' coach.

*Read this in the sense of a physical device that I use myself or a person who fulfils the job for me (like a copy shop). 

You sort of followed - I was suggesting if you had someone who was close to you in terms of physical distance who had a printer and was willing to let you have time on it, you wouldn't need to rush out and buy one and you could "play this game" as you put it.  Bit like Ben - he doesn't need to purchase as he comes over to my place once a week for Thursday night knitting club (and once a month for our LAG meetings).  I add his stuff to my print runs as it usually fills an otherwise unoccupied space on the print bed.  Sometimes I print two of his - one for me and one for him depending on if it useful to me (so I now have a LMS calf van, a couple of SDJR/LSWR/MR 10t covered vans and may end up with a SDJR 4 wheel brake).  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sithlord75 said:

You sort of followed - I was suggesting if you had someone who was close to you in terms of physical distance who had a printer and was willing to let you have time on it, you wouldn't need to rush out and buy one and you could "play this game" as you put it.  Bit like Ben - he doesn't need to purchase as he comes over to my place once a week for Thursday night knitting club (and once a month for our LAG meetings).  I add his stuff to my print runs as it usually fills an otherwise unoccupied space on the print bed.  Sometimes I print two of his - one for me and one for him depending on if it useful to me (so I now have a LMS calf van, a couple of SDJR/LSWR/MR 10t covered vans and may end up with a SDJR 4 wheel brake).  

Thanks for clarifying. I follow now.

Is knitting club where you’re learning to put together outside valve gear, flushed with the success of working steam locos down there?

2 minutes ago, richbrummitt said:

Thanks for clarifying. I follow now.

Is knitting club where you’re learning to put together outside valve gear, flushed with the success of working steam locos down there?

I suspect that doing outside valve gear may be more weaving club!!  I'll work up to a Jubilee and the Ivatt 2-6-2 replacement chassis I have.  I think I may do something easier like a J70 or Y6 first.  Knitting Club is the term used by some N Scalers in Canberra I know - I think it actually started with their wives - and we just appropriated it.

• Funny 1

I think this idea has even wider scope.  The STL file is basically the 3D model file, you still need "slicing" software to create the correct G code instruction file that is specific for your printer.  I use ultimaker cura, and you can scale the model to any size you want, and create code for most if not all printers including the cheapest filament printers.  This means I could use these STL files to make 4mm scale rolling stock just by printing them out double size.  And I suppose going bigger or smaller is possible too!  Possibly the best way to share STL files is to upload them to Thingiverse and then provide a link on the forum.  There is also quite a few STL files on there for model railways already, but the search engine is not the greatest.  Here is a few pages of "n gauge" for example:

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=n+gauge&type=things&sort=relevant&page=1

Edited by Titan
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

With some of the deals on the standard Mars (£185) or Anycubic Photon (£140), if you have any aspiration to do your own printing it’s a small investment these days!

It’s definitely a nice idea - the risk with sharing on Thingiverse or similar is that there’s nothing to stop people selling designs on, people may not have any issue with that, but it feels slightly against the spirit of things. 

Scaling STLs doesn’t tend to work that well - wall thicknesses etc don’t scale. Controlling it via something like the Association makes sense. 

Edited by njee20
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4