test printed ok 

Nick B

Hi Nick are these for sale? Also what do you use as third rail? Cheers

Darren NSE DAZ

• RMweb Premium
44 minutes ago, NSE DAZ said:

Hi Nick are these for sale? Also what do you use as third rail? Cheers

Darren NSE DAZ

Darren they are drawn for 2mm using code 40 flat bottom rail   would / should work for N but scaled up to 4mm etc  would really require more details

Not for sale but available foc for Non commercial use 

Nick B

• Like 1

I've done a few more RCH coal wagons - so now have 1923 7 plank with end doors, bottom doors and side doors (or which ever combination you want so long as you want side doors!) and 5 plank with side and bottom doors (or no bottom doors).  I've made a start on the 1907 versions - 7 plank as above with even or uneven planks.  I haven't done any 5s but if you are wanting same drop me a line.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Apologies for not posting an update earlier, but anyway the Association website will soon have a place where 3D print files can be exchanged. The plan is to include author's name, product details and contact details. Once its up and running and a few products have been listed, we'll have a review and decide whether and how to carry on.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nig H said:

Hi,

Apologies for not posting an update earlier, but anyway the Association website will soon have a place where 3D print files can be exchanged. The plan is to include author's name, product details and contact details. Once its up and running and a few products have been listed, we'll have a review and decide whether and how to carry on.

Nigel Hunt

Fantastic idea.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I'm ready to take details of files you are willing to share now. This is something like how it will appear on the Association website except that the five fields listed at the bottom will appear in a table.

Members 3D print register

Listed below are details of 3D prints that various members have offered to share with other members. If you are interested in something, then contact the member to discuss the item further and arrange for the file to be sent to you. The author of the design should be able to provide all the technical detail you need to know to print the item on you 3D printer. Most members' offerings are likely to be free but authors will be have the right to charge should they so wish.

Please note that in providing this information, the Association does not give any guarantee as to the quality or suitability of any of the products, and the arrangement is purely between the author and the acquiring member.

Members wishing to use this service to list items should send the details listed below to me at products@2mm.org.uk and I will arrange for the information to be listed on the Association website in the Products, small suppliers section.

Name of author

Description of product

Contact details

Website link/ irl (if any)

Comments

So, you can start sending the information to me and it should appear on our website in the next few days. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about this.

Nigel Hunt

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NinOz said:

Will access to the items be limited to 2mm members only?

I'd imagine as the Small Suppliers is not on the Members Only you'll be able to email the supplier and see if you can have the file.  The difficulty may come if you want something which relies on extra bits from the 2mm Shops to complete - then you'll need to be a member or have access to someone who can get it for you by virtue of their own membership.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, -missy- said:

Excellent idea!

I would love to see details on what bits are required to complete the kit too. I.E. what chassis, wheels, etc....

Julia :)

Hello Julia,

Thanks. I thought it best to list only a bare minimum of information to make it easier to update and to avoid cluttering up the web page. The additional information you mention should be available from the author. Concerning NinOz's query, access to the information will be freely available to member and non-members, and I don't see why authors should object to sending files to non-members.

Regards,

Nigel Hunt

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Sithlord75 said:

The Small Suppliers section of the Website has been updated to include the embryonic list.  Come on in, the water is fine!

The website has the embryonic list.  If a few more contribute the page will be enhanced, the layout improved, etc..   

So, start sending details of share-able cad files to Nigel Hunt.   

- Nigel  (Webmaster).

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Valentin said:

Would the email address be the one published on the 2mm Scale Association website, in the contact section?

It's the one in the paragraph above the list. The reference to Nigel Ashton in the contacts section needs changing to Nigel Hunt, but the emails end up with me.

Thanks to Nigel Cliffe for sparing his time to set this up and show me how to transfer the data to him. I hope other members will soon starting listing some products. Please send comments about this facility to me and I'll consider whether any changes might be made.

Nigel Hunt

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not sure if it helps anyone, but if anyone wants to make use of the STLs and doesn't have a 3D printer (like me!) I use WeDo3DPrinting.co.uk based at Sheffield.  Far cheaper than Shapeways, great service and quality - and if your local (and its not Covid time) you can call and pick your prints up in person.

No connection other than as a customer, but Ive been very impressed with them.  The can also do laser cutting too - worth a phone call if your looking at either/both options.

Rich

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Kylestrome said:

For those having trouble finding their website :scratchhead::

https://shop.wedo3dprinting.com

PS. It doesn't look like they do SLA printing.

Thanks, sorry I should have added that!  The first time I had something printed with them, I spoke to Simon and explained what it was for and the size etc, and he advised the best way, commenting I think you'll find its a better finish than Shapeways - I'd mentioned I'd printed things with Shapeways previously - so accepted his recommendation and was very happy with the result.  Was it better?  I wouldn't like to say, but it was certainly equal to what I'd had printed previously - and not only cheaper, but quicker too!  About three days from emailing the files to the post arriving!

One of the prints, which was a floor for a van, is seen in the attached image.  The finish was very good in my view, but of course, it is all personal opinion!

Rich

IMG_2128.jpeg

Edited by MarshLane

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My timid adventure into 3D CAD has produced these three sets of chimney pots, which were kindly printed for me by Tony.  I thought they had been put on the website, so I attach them here if they are of any use.

Octagonal chimney pots x6.stl

round chimney pots x 6.stl

Tapered chimney pot x6.stl

Jim

• Thanks 2

HI.

Ok, here are my thoughts..

1. Maybe it would be easier to have something simple like a common dropbox account or similar? That way members can upload / download files etc anytime of the day / night without having to email it to get uploaded onto a website?

2. STL files are excellent for printing but rubbish for anything else. I am not a fan of the filetype and just generate a STL file purely to print. Maybe using a more user friendly format like STEP would be better? It it should give people more flexibility to adjust the files to suit a particular printing methodology, or to add it onto another part. Unless the person uploading the file doesn't want people to play with it?

Julia.

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

perhaps  the page has note  yet been updated   ?

I supplied my information some weeks ago, and they have not been added to the website. I expect @Nigelcliffe has been busy with other, more pressing things.

As I understand it, the website listing will just show who has what to share, and is not going to act as a repository for models, but I would be happy if a repository could be set up somewhere suitable.