DR5000 & iTrain - What loco decoders work for you?

Whetstone Bridge

I've only had my DR5000/iTrain (with DR4088CS monitors) layout running for a few weeks but as I learn more about automation, the more I realise some of the loco decoders just aren't doing what they're told.  Of the decoders I'm using, only the Lenz Silver+ (8 pin) and Dapol Imperium (21 pin) don't seem to do unexpected things.  Anyone with this setup got favourite decoders that I should try?  

WB

• RMweb Gold

It would be a good idea to say a bit more about what problems you're having and which decoders are involved. The only really key feature needed by automation is an accurate implementation of Back EMF in the decoders. I use exclusively Lenz (Standard+ 8-pin, Silver+ 21 pin) plus about a dozen or so Zimo MX600R and MX638D (21-pin) decoders. These all work very well with TC automation. 

All decoders are set to 128 speed steps, and all have both CV 3 and CV 4 set to a value of 2. TC handles the acceleration and deceleration. 

Edited by RFS

iTrain doesn’t specify or have a requirement for any specific decoders. I know of people using just about every make that exists but some present challenges if they don’t have a complete feature set - some of the TTS decoders have a limited number of CVs. and stopping accurately can be a challenge with them.

I have personally changed all my decoders to Zimo from a mixture of different types as I have found they have the best performance and they are generally cheaper :)

Can I suggest that you ask questions about iTrain in the iTrain forum as you will then get answers specific to iTrain? You should have been a login when you purchased the software though if you didn’t then an email to itrain@berros.eu will get you a login.