We are railing - Britain embraces the joys of the humble train

Darius43

Generally a pleasant read, but I think the last line is one of the most important in there - how many of the people who have picked up modelling over lockdown are going to stick with it? As an aside, is the photo deceptive or is the Hogwarts Express headlight really that bright?

Edited by DK123GWR

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DK123GWR said:

Generally a pleasant read, but I think the last line is one of the most important in there - how many of the people who have picked up modelling over lockdown are going to stick with it?

I'm not sure - but I could imagine the number being slightly higher if there were to be some model railway related TV programmes on in the near future.

I wonder if Channel 5 (or one of their spin off channels) have any plans to show "box set" repeats of GMRC in the next couple of months - or, better still, commission some new series, once "Corona" finally becomes less of a menace.

Also, I wonder if there might be some other model railway related programmes about to "come down the tracks" on any mainstream free-to-air channels.

I certainly hope so - but, right now, few people would have any way of knowing.

As for the Hogwarts Express headlight, I wonder if their target audience would really be too worried about its brightness - or about the exact colour of the light from the LED used.

In all honesty, I'm also not worrying too much about this - or the fact that a former GWR loco got painted in a less-than-official colour scheme to appear in the films. After all, this might well have helped to ensure its survival - and possibly get some young people interested in trains.

Huw.

• Agree 2

I as in Costco today and they had a large quantity of the Lionel/Hornby O gauge Potter sets on display, and in the short time I was in there, several had been put in trollies.

I have not seen train sets in there before as they only have fast movers on the shelves. It is even a featured product on their website. It shows there is increased interest. 

https://www.costco.co.uk/Toys-Baby-Child/Toys/Construction-Toys/Harry-Potter-Hogwarts-Express-and-Polar-Express-Train-Set-With-37-Pieces-4-Years/p/2006132

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1