Waterwheel motor and gearbox

Hello everyone,

Any recommendations of a motor/gearbox combo that’s commercially available for running a waterwheel at a scale speed?

I have previously used a multi ratio gearbox and motor from maplins (brightly coloured green and orange gears). This needed the speed reducing further with a resistor to get the desired effect from a 12v supply.  Was quite noisy and the gearbox large.

Does anyone know any improvements on this?

Thanks

Edited by BangRoad
Typo

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

Belt and pulley is not only the quietest you're going to get, but also should allow you to get some ridiculously low speeds with minimal losses due to friction. You should be able to turn suitable pulleys out of wood or plastic and use rubber bands for drive, or try the mamod type springy wire drives. I have experimented with making belts out of strimmer cord but it isn't happy with small radii that you would have to use on the motor shaft.

10 hours ago, AdamsRadial said:

Belt and pulley is not only the quietest you're going to get, but also should allow you to get some ridiculously low speeds with minimal losses due to friction. You should be able to turn suitable pulleys out of wood or plastic and use rubber bands for drive, or try the mamod type springy wire drives. I have experimented with making belts out of strimmer cord but it isn't happy with small radii that you would have to use on the motor shaft.

Agreed. Rubber O rings might be a source of useful belts. As a belt connected motor does not have to be as perfectly aligned as one driving fine gears it might be possible to mount the motor in a rubber sleeve.

Taking the fine gear option, look at the work of Giles on his radio controlled lorries, cars and cranes. These tiny units come from China at a ridiculously low cost and are extremely smooth running.

Faller used to do a motorised waterwheel which did pump real water around.  The motor was available separately.  I'm not sure what is still available, and their motor will be more expensive than a Chinese option, but their site might be worth a look.

The smaller the wheel the faster the RPM.  The one in "The Eagle has Landed" film must have been doing between 30 and 60 rpm, between one and two revs per second.   Obviously the Laxley wheel goes a lot slower.  There are servo ,motor gearboxes with stupid reductions which operate central heating valves from a stepper motor and get chucked away, Handy if you have a mate who is a plumber, as I do and he gives them away.  I have stripped loads of them for the intermediate gear which is really useful for all sorts of stuff.  I will see if I have a compete one and if I can match a DC motor to it.  Ideally the water wheel will be perfectly balanced and concentric and need negligible force to turn. Our  local (12" to 1ft) Pub water wheel was neither and quickly stopped working, though it was fun to watch as the unbalanced wheel crawled round half a turn then raced forward only to slow again!

These N20 motor/gearbox units from China via ebay can be had at various ratios - they are sold by their speed rather than reduction ratio. I used 2 in a loco and found 300rpm to be OK but you can obtain them with slower speeds too. Being 12V DC they can easily be throttled down with a controller. Very powerful for their size.

WP_20181202_15_13_25_Pro.jpg.d8cdc145c08133ef605f1c7d5c50b0c0.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...