1960s mystery location.

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Gold

What strikes odd about that picture, is the “running line” seems off to the right under the minor bridge, where as the main arches support sidings.

is this a dockyard or warehouse siding location thats been truncated ?

Whilst its not salford, it reminds of salford, where the mainlines were raised above the siding network below.

That might date it later 1960’s.. maybe the headcode was a brake van railtour or something like ?

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

That might date it later 1960’s.

Narrowing the date the loco on the bridge has the lamp iron in the lower position on the smokebox door so from 1963 onwards. By the end of 1963 over half of the Jintys had already gone, the largest number remaining being in northwest England.

I think the bridge the train is passing over is actually two bridges, as a plate girder of that shape wouldn't have supporting piers (unless it was supported due to becoming weak, but that would probably be girders rather than masonry piers).  So it's possible there's another bridge of different construction just behind - perhaps a double-track line later four-tracked?  The signals also suggest a four-track main line, and the train is I think something more than just a local.  The line below definitely has the air of a former main line now reduced to a few rusty sidings.  

I can't offer a location, but I'm thinking maybe one of the lines that passed under the WCML in the Wigan-Preston area?  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

I think the bridge the train is passing over is actually two bridges, as a plate girder of that shape wouldn't have supporting piers

Another clue.

The bridge crosses at an angle of less than 90 degrees, we are looking straight down the nearest siding but we can see the Black 5 (?)s smokebox door.

Also the two signals are possibly directly opposite each other.

EDIT

I also thing we are facing west(ish) due to what shadowing is visible.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold

Theres substantial sidings, but only few lines used, even the points for the “main line” are set looking like only 1 line is used.

Both locos have OHLE flashes.

The bridge parapet looks wide.. possibly 4 tracks on top.

Stock behind the black 5 is LMS inc Portholes.

To me it feels like the lines to the right curve upto that mainline.

The line the Jinty is on feels like a truncated closed line, with barely used sidings to the left.

If thats correct, then there must be reason access has been retained to what feels like a closed line... so probably a yard, commercial premise, shed ? of some kind, but maybe once was a line between rivals (LNW to L&Y or MSC or something like that ?)

my guess is its around 1966, based on the above, and both 9 and T are synonymous with local trip freight, so probably not too far from Chester, Edge Hill or Sutton Oak.

Edited by adb968008

I am wondering if it is a mineral line in the Lancashire colliery fields between Wigan/Bolton and the Chat Moss route.

There are several examples where the mineral lines go under main lines (but sadly none I have seen that look like this particular one).

I would agree that the main line with the Black 5 is 4 tracked which cuts down the number of locations, unless of course it is a junction!!

10 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I am wondering if it is a mineral line in the Lancashire colliery fields between Wigan/Bolton and the Chat Moss route.

There are several examples where the mineral lines go under main lines (but sadly none I have seen that look like this particular one).

I would agree that the main line with the Black 5 is 4 tracked which cuts down the number of locations, unless of course it is a junction!!

The most obvious place would be the Lower Ince area of Wigan, with the L&YR Pemberton Loop (Pemberton - Hindley bypassing Wallgate station) on the bridge, or just possibly the same area with the Whelley Line on the bridge. There was a plethora of colliery lines there at ground level, and these were laid, shifted or lifted fairly frequently as the coalfield developed, but I don't recognise the bridge from any photos of the area.

2 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

The most obvious place would be the Lower Ince area of Wigan, with the L&YR Pemberton Loop (Pemberton - Hindley bypassing Wallgate station) on the bridge, or just possibly the same area with the Whelley Line on the bridge. There was a plethora of colliery lines there at ground level, and these were laid, shifted or lifted fairly frequently as the coalfield developed, but I don't recognise the bridge from any photos of the area.

Oddly I've just been scanning Ince, I thought I had a possible match on a foundry but the four tracks were split by an embankment and on two bridges - so not a match.  But there are so many little lines around that region/

Edited by woodenhead
  • Agree 1