1960s mystery location.

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Gold

I saw a news report last week that said a "Drive in movie" event at Chester Football Club had to be cancelled. The screening  was to be held was to be held on the car park, the screen was in England and the portable toilets were in Wales, so the whole thing was called off. There are streets in that area were one half of the street get free prescriptions and the other half, depends where the border lies.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, nigb55009 said:

I saw a news report last week that said a "Drive in movie" event at Chester Football Club had to be cancelled. The screening  was to be held was to be held on the car park, the screen was in England and the portable toilets were in Wales, so the whole thing was called off. There are streets in that area were one half of the street get free prescriptions and the other half, depends where the border lies.

That was what made me look at the Saltney map because of the fact that the Welsh border runs through Chester's western suburbs

The Anchor was also mentioned because it's customers come mainly from Chester but had to close because it's in Wales

EDIT

If you look you can see hardly any of Chester FC ground and car park are actually in England, so I'm not sure the news story is quite on the ball!

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=53.18968&lon=-2.92280&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 1

Location of Chester Football club - is it in England or Wales? - a good pub question when they are open again. 

And why my RMweb location is as I have set it out.  I live in one of the few places with its railway station - when it was open - being over the border in another country from the village it served.  And I live just down the road from Chester FC. (AM)   

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

Location of Chester Football club - is it in England or Wales? - a good pub question when they are open again. 

And why my RMweb location is as I have set it out.  I live in one of the few places with its railway station - when it was open - being over the border in another country from the village it served.  And I live just down the road from Chester FC. (AM)   

Hay on Wye Railway station was in England, as was it's goods yard but Hay is in Wales.

The border was not, until Covid regulations, very obvious but now has a warning sign about Welsh regulations as you cross from England along Newport Street.

BTW the goods shed still exists, alas the trains don't!

https://goo.gl/maps/PHoHuDmCyRUY1ZKB8

• Like 1

And to add the story further, the former line I am talking about here on the Welsh border was originally part of the Great Central Railway - trying to get their cut of the coal traffic in North East Wales. (AM)   

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, ardbealach said:

The border runs through Chester's ground car park, there was a news item about it on one of the sports sites recently, but I have forgotten which.

Edited by john new
Corrected info, see later posts.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

So no converging junction at all!

9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

We all saw what we wanted to see:

• Some saw Widnes or St Helens
  • Some saw Lancashire (me included)
  • Some saw 4 lines
  • some saw diverging junctions

I've just been doing some studying on unconscious bias and our approaches to this image demonstrated perhaps that we all jump to conclusions and then look for the evidence to support it.  I never strayed for example far from the Lancashire coal field, I was very close to the true location but then veered back north and back to Ince.

No converging junction and actually three bridges, two added when the line was quadrupled. 

My first approach was to think of places I know with an LMS line crossing another less important line. Places I was involved in through work tended to rule out London and the Midlands. I couldn't think of any matches from my regular travels either. Next criteria were post-1963, junction or 4 track with different bridges, Jinty allocated in the area, mechanical signalling.

That led me to check out Liverpool, which didn't throw up many possibles, Widnes dock area came close but didn't fit all criteria. I worked on lines round St. Helens and Warrington c1970 but another blank. I had checked Carlisle and down the west coast docks to the Mersey as the lack of skyline suggested either flat land or sea. A brief diversion round Manchester didn't find it. Just about the only LMS lines left to check were Chester and North Wales. DOH!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

The border runs through Chester's ground. There was a news item about it on one of the sports sites recently, but I have forgotten which.

Mentioned earlier.

The ground is entirely in Wales as is most of the carpark (check the NLS side by side map link I posted earlier)

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=53.18968&lon=-2.92280&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Note the border on the RH map.

They were to hold an open air cinema in the English part of the carpark with patrons using the ground's loos, which it turned out are in Wales and therefore off limits.

That was obviously ruled out, but now the problem seems to have been solved by putting some Portaloos in the English part of the carpark!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Mentioned earlier.

The ground is entirely in Wales as is most of the carpark (check the NLS side by side map link I posted earlier)

Note the border on the RH map.

They were to hold an open air cinema in the English part of the carpark with patrons using the ground's loos, which it turned out are in Wales and therefore off limits.

That was obviously ruled out, but now the problem seems to have been solved by putting some Portaloos in the English part of the carpark!

Thanks for the update. I may well have misremembered what I had read, I had recalled it was something about crowds being allowed/not allowed in various bits and your note explains it.