Will there ever be a re-run of the APT-E?

TravisM

30 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I missed out on the one and only run and I was wondering if there's ever likely to be another batch done?  Or has that door been firmly slammed shut?

Check out the APT-E thread (further down here in the Rapido section), but the summary is that in May Rapido indicated they were interested but it was up to Locomotion, and Locomotion are not interested at this time as they want to wait until Covid is over before even considering it.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, I didn’t see that thread before I wrote mine and I think it’s understandable that Locomotion are cautious about commissioning another run with the pandemic ongoing.

• 2 months later...

If they do another run, is the price likely to be rather less than the one grand range, like the ones currently on ebay?

Not that I'd be likely to buy one from somebody calling himself fluffybumbum even if I had that sort of money to spare!

Makes the one Olivias Trains is selling for £825 look like a real bargain.

7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If they do another run, is the price likely to be rather less than the one grand range, like the ones currently on ebay?

Not that I'd be likely to buy one from somebody calling himself fluffybumbum even if I had that sort of money to spare!

Makes the one Olivias Trains is selling for £825 look like a real bargain

Rails seem to have a few in stock, usually going for around the £750 mark. Spare coaches go for £150 to £200. Scary prices and always rising.

I think a re run would now cost more than the APT P Hornby are making but it is a better value model considering 2 sound chips - that's £200 right there...

On 16/01/2021 at 16:27, Michael Hodgson said:

Had a look at that Lot and it has sold.  Someone else has listed one for £1,100 :o

Surely Locomotion / Rapido should think about a re-run?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, letterspider said:

Had a look at that Lot and it has sold.  Someone else has listed one for £1,100 :o

Surely Locomotion / Rapido should think about a re-run?

It's either in this thread or another, but Rapido is willing but Locomotion isn't willing to look into the possibility until after Covid and lockdowns are history.

23 hours ago, letterspider said:

I'm not sure

Before launching a product you need to do market research, focus groups etc.

eBay sale prices are part of the picture and shows there is pent up demand

Do they? Asking prices are one thing. Getting them is another and just because one guy is willing to spend a substantial sum doesn't mean that there's anyone else out there waiting to do the same. Second runs of a model are often a nightmare. Economic sense and satisfying a pent-up demand don't often go hand in hand. The second run is likely to require a four-figure quantity and the pent up demand will probably be less than three figures. (CJL)

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, letterspider said:

In that case it looks like we won't be getting any reruns any time soon :(

And how do you jump to that conclusion?

Yes, as has been noted eBay or other auction type sites aren't accurate measures of demand - but that doesn't mean that there isn't demand.

As I posted above, Rapido are interested but need to wait on Locomotion to make a decision - and Locomotion are waiting until after Covid is dealt with.

At some point it is reasonable that Locomotion will look into the issue.

• Agree 1