Insulating rail breaks on handbuilt track

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

So on my layout thread you will see that I am handbuilding track and turnouts. I am using the new peco bullhead track railjoiners. Although pricey, they are good.

But what do I do when i want an insulated break? I'm the past I've just left an approx 1mm gap. But I have had these close up.

I can't find an equivalent insulated railjoiners, so I am thinking to squeeze a drop of epoxy in the gap. Or maybe a sliver of plasticard. 

What do others do?

Ian

The nes C&L functional plastic fishplates not only work but look very good. they will rely on the strength of the track to keep them in one piece

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/4MM-FISH-PLATES-48-H-SECTION-PLASTIC-FOR-24-TRACK-JOINTS-p187976080

Non insulating 

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/4MM-FISH-PLATES-48-H-SECTION-PLASTIC-FOR-24-TRACK-JOINTS-p187976080

They look a bit more substantial than the previous offerings that were 2 separate parts that used to fall off.

There will always be expansion on rails as many have discovered over the years. :) 

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I've used Super Steel epoxy in the gaps (in plastic based track) on Wentworth Junction, all seem to be OK so far.

Hi Michael yes I am thinking the same on the track I have already built.

I slip a piece of black microstrip into the break, dipped into epoxy.  Leave overlength, cut off when set and trim level with the top and sides of the rail.

I'm not that organised to be able to determine where all the gaps will be once I've laid the track so tend to cut gaps retrospectively with a razor saw.  I also use this technique on insulation gaps in points.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1