3D Printed Pre-Grouping Wagons 4mm-7mm

35 minutes ago, Fen End Pit said:

They look very nice, what did you print them on?

David

Thanks David, so this is my first attempt at resin printing, prior to that i was using fdm printer, but now a resin convert. Im using the anycubic photon,  but need a bigger build bed for the 7mm versions, so thinking of getting the mono X next, what are using for your lovely resin prints?

Those look excellent! A gap in the market for early wagons too, which 3D printing seems a great way to fill.

That being so, it's a slight shame to see LB&SCR stock being double-handled. However, the more the merrier and these seem great additions! I'll be following closely to see where your project leads :)

All the best, looking forward to updates.

Schooner

Ps...who's planning a layout which requires significant goods stock, c.1850-1880, from the GER, LNWR, GNR, GWR, MR, ECR and NLR plus a smattering from the Southern companies...just saying... :)

Edited by Schooner
Spejjing
  • Like 2

I say, those are rather tasty! It's nice to see more 3d printed pre-grouping Southern stock. @TurboSnail of this parish has done some very nice SECR wagons and an LBSC Open A, and I've drawn up a few LSWR ones too, both for the Photon:

CattleWagon3.jpgLSWR_Open.jpg

I've gone for printing NEM pockets on my wagons, using the dimensions found here: http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/couplings.htm and they seem to work well for me, although I make the coupling slot a little bigger (by about 0.2mm in height and width) to compensate for light bleed in the Photon.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 hours ago, Schooner said:

Those look excellent! A gap in the market for early wagons too, which 3D printing seems a great way to fill.

That being so, it's a slight shame to see LB&SCR stock being double-handled. However, the more the merrier and these seem great additions! I'll be following closely to see where your project leads :)

All the best, looking forward to updates.

Schooner

Ps...who's planning a layout which requires significant goods stock, c.1850-1880, from the GER, LNWR, GNR, GWR, MR, ECR and NLR plus a smattering from the Southern companies...just saying... :)

Thanks Schooner for the kind words, im kicking off with the LBSCR mostly because the chaps want to make an O gauge layout focusing on them, and the GNR, who I intend to tackle next, already have a clerestory fish van, and a cattle wagon to prepare for printing! But I figured i would make these in 4mm first, that way I can send them over to my dad who has a few locos to pull this stuff now! But im definitely interested in bashing out some LNWR, GER, plus MR pretty soon, perhaps even some NB stuff! Who knows perhaps if there is some big demand for certain wagons, then happy to model them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

I say, those are rather tasty! It's nice to see more 3d printed pre-grouping Southern stock. @TurboSnail of this parish has done some very nice SECR wagons and an LBSC Open A, and I've drawn up a few LSWR ones too, both for the Photon:

I've gone for printing NEM pockets on my wagons, using the dimensions found here: http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/couplings.htm and they seem to work well for me, although I make the coupling slot a little bigger (by about 0.2mm in height and width) to compensate for light bleed in the Photon.

Thanks Linny those look great! Very lovely stuff indeed thank you for sharing! Those LSWR cattlewagons are beautiful. So printing the NEM pockets works ok? Just slide in the couplings and its all good? Didnt know about the .2mm so that is super useful thank you.

Thank you! The NEM pockets work fine - on short wheelbase models like wagons they can be mounted rigidly for couplings like tension locks, although if you're using something that forms a rigid bar, like Hunt couplings, you might be better printing the triangular sockets to allow your normal NEM pockets to swing sideways.

Don't want to burst your bubble but I'm already doing just that I. 7, G1 and S gauges. It's easier scaling down than up. We currently do over 150 pre-grouping models with another 25 in the pipeline.

Marc

3 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

Thank you! The NEM pockets work fine - on short wheelbase models like wagons they can be mounted rigidly for couplings like tension locks, although if you're using something that forms a rigid bar, like Hunt couplings, you might be better printing the triangular sockets to allow your normal NEM pockets to swing sideways.

Thanks Linny thats super useful, will give it a go! Mostly im making these for my dads layout who has nothing to run with his pre-grouping locos! So the NEM sockets should be perfect ta! I need to have a crack at those lovely LSWR cattle wagons to, did you print those coaches to in the background! 

3 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Don't want to burst your bubble but I'm already doing just that I. 7, G1 and S gauges. It's easier scaling down than up. We currently do over 150 pre-grouping models with another 25 in the pipeline.

Marc

Thanks Marc for the tip of downscaling, you most certainly haven’t burst my bubble, and I see you have quite the range chap, and some lovely wagons, something to aspire to :) 

Thanks!

The cattle wagon is a D1508 Medium cattle wagon - something you don't see outside of the pre-grouping period, as most railways moved over to large cattle wagons with a movable divider to subdivide them into small, medium and large (the idea being that a farmer would only pay for a small wagon if they only needed to move a few cattle, vs a large if they needed to move many). There are/have been kits for various LSWR large cattle wagons, but I wasn't aware of one for the Medium, so I decided to have a go at drawing it up.

I got a lot of my drawings of pre-grouping wagons from the first three volumes of An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons - they cover pretty much any wagons from pre-grouping companies that made it to the grouping in 1923.

The carriages behind the wagons (and, indeed, the LB&SCR van) are laser-cut from card and MDF to my own designs.  What you can see is an LSWR 42' third. I'm currently working on an LSWR set train consisting of 4- and 6-wheel carriages:

LSWR_Third_Lettered.jpg

24_Composite.jpg

24_Composite_6.jpg

As well as a rake of six LB&SCR Stroudley carriages:

Stroudley_Close_Up.jpg

But enough image spam of those! You can find out more from my thread in the pre-grouping section of the forum - there should be a link in my signature.

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

1 hour ago, Skinnylinny said:

Thanks!

The cattle wagon is a D1508 Medium cattle wagon - something you don't see outside of the pre-grouping period, as most railways moved over to large cattle wagons with a movable divider to subdivide them into small, medium and large (the idea being that a farmer would only pay for a small wagon if they only needed to move a few cattle, vs a large if they needed to move many). There are/have been kits for various LSWR large cattle wagons, but I wasn't aware of one for the Medium, so I decided to have a go at drawing it up.

I got a lot of my drawings of pre-grouping wagons from the first three volumes of An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons - they cover pretty much any wagons from pre-grouping companies that made it to the grouping in 1923.

The carriages behind the wagons (and, indeed, the LB&SCR van) are laser-cut from card and MDF to my own designs.  What you can see is an LSWR 42' third. I'm currently working on an LSWR set train consisting of 4- and 6-wheel carriages:

Those LSWR Cattle wagons indeed are very nice, and so are those laser cut LB&SCR coaches, I hope to start on some coaches next year once I have settled on a good sized printer to print them on! I need to make some LB&SCR, and GNR for the club in 7mm, but will do it 4mm to! The issue will be lining them, I have no idea how to go about that yet, seems tricky, but want to learn, as the lining really makes the coach!

I have those Illustrated volumes also, as well as a bunch of other wagon books which are super useful for building this stuff, and just bought the illustrated pictorial book of Southern Locos on amazon, they are knocking them out for 7 squid which is amazing!  I need to find some suitable coaching stock books also, and I fancy having a crack at modelling an Earle Marsh's I3 or a Billinton's Giant, but that is a little way off yet! But always good to have a dream!

For the LBSC carriage books, I can highly recommend the LBSCR Carriages book series by Ian White et al.. I have the first two in the series which deal with 4- and 6-wheel carriages in the first book, and vans and NPCCS (horseboxes, carriage trucks etc) in the second. I don't have the third (bogie stock) or fourth (not yet released) as they're not relevant to what I'm modelling, but the first two are excellent.

4 hours ago, Skinnylinny said:

For the LBSC carriage books, I can highly recommend the LBSCR Carriages book series by Ian White et al.. I have the first two in the series which deal with 4- and 6-wheel carriages in the first book, and vans and NPCCS (horseboxes, carriage trucks etc) in the second. I don't have the third (bogie stock) or fourth (not yet released) as they're not relevant to what I'm modelling, but the first two are excellent.

Thanks Linny that is very useful I will look out for those 

A few LB&SCR Wagon additions I hope to be printing up in the next week or so

Variation of the Stroudley Brake without Observation skyline

Ballast Wagon

5 Plank

8 Ton Poultry Van, with older type brake gear

8 Ton Fish Van

490109617_lbscr_stroudleybrake_v2.jpg.447736a07d18ab332632bee9e40a0c72.jpg696809687_lbscr_ballastwagon.jpg.19d71d90d3de86c3f9132777040a93f5.jpglbscr_5_plank.jpg.09a397263df9c7959425d69ac92bde99.jpg562582785_lbscr_8tonventvan_poultry.jpg.bbec9540d5fe619e4eed7a03bc6445a4.jpg1261787595_lbscr_8tonventvan_fish.jpg.480d14589fb8c68a3d282cc0803a0497.jpg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I have amended the Stroudley Lantern style brake thanks to the help of Bluelightning, who kindly showed me my back end was out on this baby! ;) So I have adjusted this now to hopefully represent a more correct version of the Brake! 3D imagery below, this is the 7mm version I hope to have a crack at printing this after finishing up the little lot above! stroudley_05.jpg.626568fd27d702d744b488c3961ed2c3.jpgstroudley_04.jpg.5eba0a5881ecc8c6452ba2343b737c18.jpgstroudley_06.jpg.28e80b918421cb8ab866c46f29afe0f1.jpgstroudley_07.jpg.93d413bac7a01a8f18923840d5b48fe8.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Very nice!

One point that you may need to check. Going from memory (which is always dangerous), I think the recesses on the guards doors should be shallower than the recesses on the rest of the framing. I have always assumed that this is to accommodate a drop light in the door, whereas the rest of the body is made up of planking on the inside face of the frames.

Best wishes 

Eric 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, burgundy said:

Very nice!

One point that you may need to check. Going from memory (which is always dangerous), I think the recesses on the guards doors should be shallower than the recesses on the rest of the framing. I have always assumed that this is to accommodate a drop light in the door, whereas the rest of the body is made up of planking on the inside face of the frames.

Best wishes 

Eric 

Cheers Eric that is a simple fix, I shall have a play about with this, and see if I can find any reference to help me get it spot on! I have also seen on some detailed models online a slight beading trim that sits around the Lantern base and the roof, don't suppose anyone knows if this was actually there? Otherwise I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can squeeze out a 7mm on my anycubic photon, I think it just about fits without having to cut off the buffers! Cheers for every ones help on this :) 

On 27/10/2020 at 14:52, woko said:

A few LB&SCR Wagon additions I hope to be printing up in the next week or so

Variation of the Stroudley Brake without Observation skyline

Ballast Wagon

5 Plank

8 Ton Poultry Van, with older type brake gear

8 Ton Fish Van

lbscr_5_plank.jpg.09a397263df9c7959425d69ac92bde99.jpg

Just a few points about the Open A. You have obviously chosen the final batch,  built by the Metropolitan CW&F Co. in 1920/1. The knees, which are unusually on the outside, look a bit too prominent, the brake gear appears the wrong hand, the bottom "plank" is only the thickness of the floor, on a steel framed wagon, so should be much thinner, and the headstocks are also steel, not the thick timber shown. Otherwise they look as if they'll provide a nice contrast to the earlier types of Open, from several other sources.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, woko said:

Cheers Eric that is a simple fix, I shall have a play about with this, and see if I can find any reference to help me get it spot on! I have also seen on some detailed models online a slight beading trim that sits around the Lantern base and the roof, don't suppose anyone knows if this was actually there? Otherwise I'm really looking forward to seeing if I can squeeze out a 7mm on my anycubic photon, I think it just about fits without having to cut off the buffers! Cheers for every ones help on this :) 

Mea culpa. I should have checked before offering an opinion, rather than after. 

The Stroudley brake vans have quite light beading on the sides, presumably with the frames on the inside. The beading on the doors is therefore roughly the same depth as on the sides. 

1863165472_Stroudleyvan1(2).jpg.db78c0b4146a62d59c1b3b2465940118.jpg

462219261_Stroudleyvan2(2).jpg.a59135aaa07c3a60545605014216e971.jpg

1344049036_Stroudleyvan2(3).jpg.0a8f6800dd80327d46ef23c52334991e.jpg

Earlier Craven vans had much deeper external frames and therefore the different depth on the doors. 

Apologies for leading you up the garden. 

Best wishes 

Eric    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Just a few points about the Open A. You have obviously chosen the final batch,  built by the Metropolitan CW&F Co. in 1920/1. The knees, which are unusually on the outside, look a bit too prominent, the brake gear appears the wrong hand, the bottom "plank" is only the thickness of the floor, on a steel framed wagon, so should be much thinner, and the headstocks are also steel, not the thick timber shown. Otherwise they look as if they'll provide a nice contrast to the earlier types of Open, from several other sources.

Thanks Nick some great feedback, I will go back and fix those elements, have already printed one prototype out as a test! But some simple amendments I can sort for the next attempt, much appreciated :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Mea culpa. I should have checked before offering an opinion, rather than after. 

The Stroudley brake vans have quite light beading on the sides, presumably with the frames on the inside. The beading on the doors is therefore roughly the same depth as on the sides. 

Earlier Craven vans had much deeper external frames and therefore the different depth on the doors. 

Apologies for leading you up the garden. 

Best wishes 

Eric  

Some cracking photos there Eric, im guessing this Brake had been turned into some kind of beach hut holiday cabin in the last few pictures? I'm finding there isn't a great deal of imagery online for these brakes, mostly what others have modelled, so your knowledge is key thanks for sharing and taking the time to post.

Cheers

Rob

• Thanks 1