3D Printed Pre-Grouping Wagons 4mm-7mm

18 minutes ago, TurboSnail said:

Here's one of the steel-framed Open As that @BlueLightningbuilt as a test of my design - I think I've since fixed most of the errors! I've done both the Metropolitan and BRCW versions, but unfortunately can't remember which one this is.

image.png.8575ca432042de94daf516a94ddbd529.png

Looks great chap! I love how you managed to get all the LB&SCR lettering on the Axle covers, im looking forward to having a bash at painting some wagons up, though not keen on those precision paints, much prefer the Vallejo or Tamiya acrylics which go on so nicely, so will try to match the grey using the closest colour i can find in any of those ranges! Thanks for sharing dude, lovely stuff!

36 minutes ago, woko said:

Looks great chap! I love how you managed to get all the LB&SCR lettering on the Axle covers, im looking forward to having a bash at painting some wagons up, though not keen on those precision paints, much prefer the Vallejo or Tamiya acrylics which go on so nicely, so will try to match the grey using the closest colour i can find in any of those ranges! Thanks for sharing dude, lovely stuff!

You'll have to ask Gary what the colour is, I'm not much of an LBSC guy! I just made these wagons as I felt I could justify a few secondhand examples finding their way to my Kent colliery layout. Several happy customers though, so it's nice other people could use them too. 

The lettering is overscale (it won't print legibly otherwise), which is a bit obvious in the close-ups, but I prefer that to having nothing there, and it looks much better at normal viewing distances with a bit of weathering to highlight the surfaces. 

The lettering should just about be visible on this SER machinery wagon too, so it is possible to get it to work.

image.png.df8f58b34ef51236d225c760e50d0166.png

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 minute ago, TurboSnail said:

You'll have to ask Gary what the colour is, I'm not much of an LBSC guy! I just made these wagons as I felt I could justify a few secondhand examples finding their way to my Kent colliery layout. Several happy customers though, so it's nice other people could use them too. 

The lettering is overscale (it won't print legibly otherwise), which is a bit obvious in the close-ups, but I prefer that to having nothing there, and it looks much better at normal viewing distances with a bit of weathering to highlight the surfaces. 

The lettering should just about be visible on this SER machinery wagon too, so it is possible to get it to work.

image.png.df8f58b34ef51236d225c760e50d0166.png

That looks really good, and yes the lettering goes along way to in my book! I see you have got the NEM pockets in to, which is something i need to sort out

44 minutes ago, woko said:

That looks really good, and yes the lettering goes along way to in my book! I see you have got the NEM pockets in to, which is something i need to sort out

Word of warning - NEM pockets don't fit every wagon, particularly older ones with smaller wheels, as the coupling tails clash with where the axles need to go. The solution being either to have the couplings stick out really far, or (my preferred option) use the pocket as an alignment guide but shorten it, clip the coupling tails short and just glue the coupling in place. Had that issue with this, my ballast wagons, and the SER 4-plankers.

Edited by TurboSnail

Dear all,

I’m going for a slightly different design approach.  I don’t build in w-irons as I prefer the look of etched ones (especially when the MJT ones don’t need any soldering if you are of a nervous disposition), but I do make sure there are inserts in the over thick solebars (to help stop warping) for the W irons.  This approach also allows 3 point compensation or springing - not that I always bother.  

CACABCB4-8608-4BF7-B95A-72B28E23D46F.jpeg.a5a0c7ecea82ee3b76c1269646b262ad.jpeg

Here is a broad gauge 3 plank convertible’ wagon showing how I do the W-irons.  

I also have made use of etched under frame details for timber solebars and use white metal buffers (for strength)

689B8FFA-743D-42EA-A510-CB2B7D14CFE1.jpeg.6aba301bb452b85778b58fba03fa8a76.jpeg

(You can see from the right w iron Of this ‘narrow’ gauge GWR 2 plank wagon that I did bother with compensation this time.). You will also note the absence of brake gear - I normally use white metal ones from Wizard or ABS.  This is to help add as much weight as possible before hitting the lead shot or sheet (on some of my designs like the CMR iron bodied China clay tippler there’s very little space for ballast if the wagon is modelled empty.  

I also don’t worry about couplings per se.  Admittedly my eccentricities extend beyond EM and broad gauge to include Alex Jackson couplings so NEM would be a bit pointless... Also, and I realise this is contentious, but why make such beautiful designs and fit a hideous and not very effective coupling system - there are lots of different options many of which aren’t nem compatible.  You could, for example,  design in pilot holes in the buffer beam for the rather good sprat and winkle system - and I’m fully aware I’m not practicing what I preach! 

Essentially, I’m trying not to constrain my designs too much so someone whose tastes in certain aspects differ to mine can be accommodated.  They are definitely not going to be ready to paint, but hopefully a quicker route than kit building.  I’m not selling mine at the moment, but I do want to make sure that if I ever did, people like me would buy them.  

But of course when I start reducing things to 2mm so they can be used by my son on his N gauge I reserve the right to do things differently again!

Some of my pre-group prints:

DE47538A-67B5-47CD-97B3-4D26C2491EBD.jpeg.18293876cc855bc81d87437cd60db517.jpeg

A broad gauge 6w fish wagon with guards caboose.

AA764FD2-E0F4-44A9-B483-90450E11D6DC.jpeg.6da125321e423538bb4183a839458060.jpeg

A broad gauge 3 plank wagon.

66F1D95C-5D84-474B-B4F9-085B8B7D0F61.jpeg.3794851fee91aeeab090e68e5723d604.jpeg

A cleminson set up for 6w wagons/coaches.

24EE4CC2-F7C2-4EA7-A2FA-5FBAAB98B075.jpeg.974e80ab6aac2c487eabc2122e9a818a.jpeg

An early attempt at the CMR China clay tippler.  The current design has better hinges for the end door.

DF026286-17B4-4E19-A1A3-6C4F4B2D7B5C.jpeg.53726790bacfdc457f63d09fae1b6822.jpeg

A GWR E19/20 convertible brake tricomposite (with BG under frame - the ‘narrow‘ under frame is being done at the moment.

See 

for more trials and tribulations.

Regards

Duncan

Edited by drduncan
Diatribe against the tension lock coupling :)
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Dear all,

One of the (many) things I haven’t mastered is springs.  I’d like to include them integral to the solebars (like some of the old D & S kits did in white metal) but the springs seem too thin to get enough meat to differentiate between the individual leaves of the spring. So how do you do yours?

Thanks

Duncan

Edited by drduncan

On 31/10/2020 at 11:08, drduncan said:

Dear all,

One of the (many) things I haven’t mastered is springs.  I’d like to include them integral to the solebars (like some of the old D & S kits did in white metal) but the springs seem too thin to get enough meat to differentiate between the individual leaves of the spring. So how do you do yours?

Thanks

Duncan

I make alternate leaves 0.2mm narrower for 4mm scale, so top leaf wide, 2nd narrow, 3rd wide,4th narrow, 5th wide etc etc. 

FULLDSXT2347.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

yes indeed that is a lovely single bolster Quarryscapes, good work sir!

I have been cracking on this week and printed up a few more prototypes

Some of the amendments didn't make this pass so apologies if you still see some glaring mistakes, and schoolboy errors!

LBSC 5 Plank open 1920s

LBSC 8 Ton Poultry Van missing roof ventilators

LBSC 15 Ton Ballast Wagon

Hoping to have the 7mm Scale revised Lantern Stroudley Brake printed this week, now I have one of those Anycubic Mono's the speed is so much quicker, and I actually think the printing quality is better! Im waiting before I get one of the larger build bed resin printers as I have a feeling there will be a few upgrades and amendments as the big 3 battle it out to sell their machines! Especially now EPAX have the E10 with upgradeable 4k-5k screen out mid November!!

IMG_2060.JPG.c31c099ec51d1fad7f15eafba4c450ee.JPGIMG_2066.JPG.be94a36cabafe86a90b21f5e8d179500.JPGIMG_2063.JPG.424439c996db88fe500282c4e0b1f7ff.JPGIMG_2065.JPG.687da9088187f4b681130de690fb103c.JPG

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

One of the (many) things I haven’t mastered is springs.  […] So how do you do yours?

I've tried getting tiny grooves between them but it just doesn't look right in 4 or 7mm scale, they appear too coarse. After all there is no real groove between leaves, they are absolutely tight together, the impression is given because the edges are very slightly rounded. Many etched or cast kit manufacturers don't capture the leaf detail of springs very well either,  So for carriage springs, while I draw each leaf in CAD so I know they look right, for 3D printing I don't put any detail on the surface of the leaf spring at all. Because of the shape and profile of the ends of the leaves the eye is deceived into thinking the surface detail is there. At least that's my intention! This is the drawing for a NSR Saloon underframe spring and I'm quite happy with how it turned out in 3D in either scale.

Springs_on_NSR_6whl_31ft_chassis_draft6_low_steps_for_4mm.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi there, this thread has been a really interesting read already.

I’ve had a Mono X on order since early September, and there’s been quite the lead time on them (and it’s coming to Canada) so hopefully it won’t be long now before it arrives. I’ve a couple of GN wagons (gas tanks, open, etc) I previously printed on a Moai, but that printer is pretty finicky and the prints were ok, but I’m hoping the new one will be more straightforward.

Out of interest, for the vans, are you printing the roofs as well, or using styrene?

With another hat on, I do the website for the GNR Society, where we have a list of GNR models available in 4mm and 7mm scales. If you are selling your models and would like their models adding to the lists, please send me a DM and I’ll have them added.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JCL said:

Hi there, this thread has been a really interesting read already.

I’ve had a Mono X on order since early September, and there’s been quite the lead time on them (and it’s coming to Canada) so hopefully it won’t be long now before it arrives. I’ve a couple of GN wagons (gas tanks, open, etc) I previously printed on a Moai, but that printer is pretty finicky and the prints were ok, but I’m hoping the new one will be more straightforward.

Out of interest, for the vans, are you printing the roofs as well, or using styrene?

With another hat on, I do the website for the GNR Society, where we have a list of GNR models available in 4mm and 7mm scales. If you are selling your models and would like their models adding to the lists, please send me a DM and I’ll have them added.

A Mono X sounds exciting chap, Im thinking of ordering one next week, still unsure whether to plum for the new Epax instead with the upgradeable 5k build screen and plate! 

Im printing everything, roofs the lot! Now I have switched from FDM to Resin it seems there isn't much you can't print now! Whether it remains intact is another story ;) As this stuff is super brittle obviously! 

Im working on the GNR range now, have a few bits n pieces i will model, and would love to stick them on the listings, i'm primarily making this stuff for the Club, and my dad, and plus myself, I did think I would possibly sell some pieces, but i'm not sure yet, really depends on the interest, but as i make this stuff, if anyones interested in any of these models then happy to be contacted to sort something out! I really enjoy making this stuff, especially the O Gauge stuff, it comes out amazing, and the Mono X will be awesome for this stuff i suspect :) 

So once I have these GNR wagons up an running happy to stick them on your site sir :)

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

Dear all,

Thanks

Duncan

Hey Duncan sorry I missed this earlier, luckily another chap replied :)

I model mine in a 3D application, rather than use CAD, I did some test experiments with test printing to see how to play with the gaps, i find you have to exaggerate these gaps to get it to look right, rather than go for reality as the detail wouldn't read! So in answer to your question a wee bit of trial an error with test printing and what looks right is my rather untechnical answer to this problem, let me know how you get on? 

Cheers

Rob

Another pass on the Stroudley Brakes at 7mm and 4mm, I need to check my FEP as i have noticed some faint rogue lines in the print at the rear on the sides! Its either that or something to do with my supports! Its not a huge issue, but would love to solve this! It may just need re-angling on the build plate. Plus I somehow missed some bolts off on the buffer plates, which was a schoolboy error so will fix on the next print all being well. 

I just managed to fit the 7mm version on the build plate of the Anycubic Mono, though anything bigger and I would have to cut the model up more! So perhaps its time to invest in the Anycubic Mono X! :)

The increase in print speed is fantastic now on these new Mono screens, and the body of this Brake took 7hrs on the Mono, compared to 11hrs for the standard photon!

However at last here we have the amended lantern window at the rear which hopefully reflects the original Brake, I might paint this one, as im eager to get painting! However I do need to spend a little time cleaning it up more, just primed it so you can see the details better.

2054651769_7MMSTROUDLEY5.jpg.1b832ef479c00c44118e32a355bc7eee.jpgSTROUDLEYS.jpg.c0a82f3aa9226ec62b9ab70105d8da23.jpgLBSC_STROUDLEYS.jpg.56d4f30fe0a711ed08e1c3be0f17d04c.jpg2097701199_7MMSTROUDLEY4.jpg.bffb8b924c3c4a1158ffb52b82520e88.jpg

7MM STROUDLEY3.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Fantastic!! Great to see the model finally printed!

Gary

Thanks Gary, it was your help that made it possible sir so much obliged chap :) I need to see about sending you a kit so you can make one up for your channel chap :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ianmaccormac said:

That looks brill! Super. Can't wait to see them on sale or will you send 'stl files if we have own printer?

Cheers Ian

Thanks Ian, im not sure yet whether to hand out the stl yet, plus I have no idea what a reasonable price is for this stuff, so any thoughts much appreciated,  im not looking to rinse folks, just make a bit of pocket money to help fund more printing :) 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well they look lovely!

After a two month wait, I've had a text message overnight to let me know the Mono X is on its way! I'll let you know when it gets here.

I'm currently reworking this GNR gas tank in Blender, let me know f you would like the stl when it's done. I just need to remove the longitudinal lines along the tanks and add holes in the middle for the bars to be slipped through. 

I think it might be a challenge to support. :mellow:

1160696870_GNRgas.jpg.bc87d6976cd3d60bc571089108557691.jpg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JCL said:

Well they look lovely!

After a two month wait, I've had a text message overnight to let me know the Mono X is on its way! I'll let you know when it gets here.

I'm currently reworking this GNR gas tank in Blender, let me know f you would like the stl when it's done. I just need to remove the longitudinal lines along the tanks and add holes in the middle for the bars to be slipped through. 

I think it might be a challenge to support. :mellow:

Thank you very sir, and that GNR Gas tanker looks cracking chap, lovely stuff, nice to see folks switching over to 3D applications than just CAD as well, not used Blender personally but hearing so many great things about it! And its free I may start learning it :)

Very kind of you to offer the STL, maybe I can do a swap with you when I have finished this GNR 18ft clerestory perishable Van, im also working on the 16ft Lard and Butter van which is my personal favourite, I did give these a bash a year ago, but i found that FDM didn't have the detail for a solid finish! So this is a new model now I actually have the proper drawings, the last one was a cheeky by eye jobbo!! Shocking i know! 

Let me know how you get on with the Mono X, im still very keen, though the Epax also looks good... maybe i will get both in time! You can never have enough printers ;)

gnr_18ft2.jpg.a5605eeaf715c5b389610a901401dd67.jpggnr_18ft.jpg.8140de634ee9804722b02c91a1420545.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, woko said:

Thanks Ian, im not sure yet whether to hand out the stl yet, plus I have no idea what a reasonable price is for this stuff, so any thoughts much appreciated,  im not looking to rinse folks, just make a bit of pocket money to help fund more printing :) 

In my experience, not much - my wagons go for £9, or less for multiple orders, which at first seems like a healthy margin but I've already had to increase that a couple of times as I learn more about the costs of power, resin, failed prints, decent quality FEP, PPE, IPA, kitchen roll and more... it adds up quick!

There is another cost it's worth thinking about too. The reason I'm not advertising kits much at the moment is mainly as the small but steady flow of orders I get (a couple a month at the moment) is do-able. Any more than that would take up time that I really need to unwind at the moment (on the flipside, I know what I'd be doing if I was on furlough right now!). But I don't want to be heading down the Post Office every couple of days, having to keep track of resin stocks etc. The printing noise also irritates my flatmate if I'm running it in the daytime! But if you're better set up to do it and can fit it into your life, I say go for it.

All this talk of Mono Xs and other fancy new printers... if only! My year-and-a-bit old Photon mk1 is pretty battered at this point but can still turn out decent prints. Maybe in another year or so I'll have saved up enough to upgrade, by which time the new printers on the market will have moved on again, no doubt!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, woko said:

Thanks Gary, it was your help that made it possible sir so much obliged chap :) I need to see about sending you a kit so you can make one up for your channel chap :) 

Always happy to help where I can! It'll be an honour to make one up on my YouTube livestream, I shall look forward to the chance immensely.

Gary

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Certainly on the printers - there's always a better one around the corner. Years ago I worked on a contract for 18 months, and me colleague spent the entire time looking at computer specs - he never did buy one. If it wasn't for a small inheritance, I would be attempting to keep the Peopoly Moai on life support, but it's been such a pain in the neck that I've put it in the shed out of the way.

@TurboSnail, are you still printing your wagon bodies separately to your underframes?

1 hour ago, JCL said:

@TurboSnail, are you still printing your wagon bodies separately to your underframes?

Certainly am - with my printer and the resins I use, bending the frames to get the wheels in results in either a) bent frames with loose wheels or b) broken frames. Other people with different setups may have different experiences! The other advantage is, several times I've been asked for just the bodies as people want to use etched axleboxes or different chassis bits, I think it's slightly easier to modify a separate part like that.

• Like 2