3D Printed Pre-Grouping Wagons 4mm-7mm

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

Certainly am - with my printer and the resins I use, bending the frames to get the wheels in results in either a) bent frames with loose wheels or b) broken frames. Other people with different setups may have different experiences! The other advantage is, several times I've been asked for just the bodies as people want to use etched axleboxes or different chassis bits, I think it's slightly easier to modify a separate part like that.

That’s true, very frustrating printing something only to break it trying to get the wheels in.

@woko - re: Cad vs 3D modelling apps - I think whether you like one or the other depends on your previous experience and how your brain works.

Blender has a steep learning curve, and building 3D models for print, I barely scratch the surface of what the program can do. The interface was one of the problems, but was changed in v 2.8 to be closer aligned to normal windows programs. Some people say it’s not as accurate, but dimensions to 5 decimal places is more than I need. The main thing is to set up your workspace first (measurement units, panel sizes, etc) and then save that as your startup file. Also, as you say, it’s always free, I can’t see it ever having its features reduced as has happened with Fusion 360.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2020 at 18:39, JCL said:

Certainly on the printers - there's always a better one around the corner. Years ago I worked on a contract for 18 months, and me colleague spent the entire time looking at computer specs - he never did buy one. If it wasn't for a small inheritance, I would be attempting to keep the Peopoly Moai on life support, but it's been such a pain in the neck that I've put it in the shed out of the way.

@TurboSnail, are you still printing your wagon bodies separately to your underframes?

Oh is the Peopoly Moai a bit ropey then? I have to say these new mono screens really rock, much faster than the standard colour screens, I picked up a Anycubic Mono brand new on ebay for a cheeky price just to try it out, im now thinking of selling my Photon because its been pretty awesome so far, though only had it running a week so hard to really tell yet!

On 07/11/2020 at 21:57, LNWR18901910 said:

Does the guy do LNWR wagons or perhaps freelance ones?

Yes the guy hopes to do LNWR, especially as the LNWR make some cracking freight, I haven't got any reference material yet, but hoping to getting round to it soon :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JCL said:

That’s true, very frustrating printing something only to break it trying to get the wheels in.

@woko - re: Cad vs 3D modelling apps - I think whether you like one or the other depends on your previous experience and how your brain works.

Blender has a steep learning curve, and building 3D models for print, I barely scratch the surface of what the program can do. The interface was one of the problems, but was changed in v 2.8 to be closer aligned to normal windows programs. Some people say it’s not as accurate, but dimensions to 5 decimal places is more than I need. The main thing is to set up your workspace first (measurement units, panel sizes, etc) and then save that as your startup file. Also, as you say, it’s always free, I can’t see it ever having its features reduced as has happened with Fusion 360.

Yes I agree, it is personal choice, what works best for you, some have more CAD minds, I tried CAD back in the 90s, but got seduced by 3D soon after and have been using 3D now for 20 odd years so have somewhat of a head start on this stuff, so imagine my absolute joy when 3D printing came along..... So you can model stuff on the computer and actually print it.....what!!! Its an absolute addiction now! 

• Like 1

On 07/11/2020 at 17:53, TurboSnail said:

In my experience, not much - my wagons go for £9, or less for multiple orders, which at first seems like a healthy margin but I've already had to increase that a couple of times as I learn more about the costs of power, resin, failed prints, decent quality FEP, PPE, IPA, kitchen roll and more... it adds up quick!

There is another cost it's worth thinking about too. The reason I'm not advertising kits much at the moment is mainly as the small but steady flow of orders I get (a couple a month at the moment) is do-able. Any more than that would take up time that I really need to unwind at the moment (on the flipside, I know what I'd be doing if I was on furlough right now!). But I don't want to be heading down the Post Office every couple of days, having to keep track of resin stocks etc. The printing noise also irritates my flatmate if I'm running it in the daytime! But if you're better set up to do it and can fit it into your life, I say go for it.

All this talk of Mono Xs and other fancy new printers... if only! My year-and-a-bit old Photon mk1 is pretty battered at this point but can still turn out decent prints. Maybe in another year or so I'll have saved up enough to upgrade, by which time the new printers on the market will have moved on again, no doubt!

Thanks chap for your honesty, £9 seems pretty reasonable for such lovely wagons, I was thinking £10 for 4mm and £30-35 for 7mm but its only initial thoughts so far if completely honest! 

And yes you are right Resin, FEP, IPA, and all the clean up materials, containers etc is crazy, a lot more than FDM, but then the print quality is far superior!

As a heads up the Mono is so much quieter than the standard Photon, so your flatmate should be happier, and its also quicker, and I think easier as taking the whole lid off is easier than the flip top case in my opinion, plus you can see the print better, and if its failed! The build plate is slightly larger than the Photon at 130x80x165mm so allows a little more on than the standard Photon. I picked up mine on ebay and it was super cheap if you look around for the deals!

13 minutes ago, woko said:

As a heads up the Mono is so much quieter than the standard Photon, so your flatmate should be happier, and its also quicker, and I think easier as taking the whole lid off is easier than the flip top case in my opinion, plus you can see the print better, and if its failed! The build plate is slightly larger than the Photon at 130x80x165mm so allows a little more on than the standard Photon. I picked up mine on ebay and it was super cheap if you look around for the deals!

I'll upgrade when and if I can then - but the Photon is still churning out fine prints for my own use (though having said that, I'm getting a lot of glitches lately). We'll see if a certain overhyped tech-related day of discounts in the near future can bring one down into my price range!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TurboSnail said:

I'll upgrade when and if I can then - but the Photon is still churning out fine prints for my own use (though having said that, I'm getting a lot of glitches lately). We'll see if a certain overhyped tech-related day of discounts in the near future can bring one down into my price range!

Best of luck dude, this printing lark is far from cheap I know that!

• Agree 1

I figured i would get my head down and do some modeling this evening and try to crack out some of these GNR wagons I have promised the club!

I still have some issues to fix on the Stroudley Brake, namely not being able to fit some wheel bearings in because its to narrow at present so trying to figure that out before I print some off to send out!

In the meantime here is a bunch of GNR wagons, Cattle Wagon, 18ft Clerestory Perishable goods van, 16ft Long covered goods van, and 16ft Clerestory Lard and Butter van

312820557_gnr_cattlewagon.jpg.ee9f221348e96f6574fe37b0b428eed0.jpg1229756498_gnr_18ft_clerestoryfishvan.jpg.326528107b1398926a9dfb5503e3e818.jpg853643781_gnr_16ft_coveredgoods.jpg.338e6e79364bad16a48598db4cfb8d49.jpg2122238708_gnr_16ft_lardnbutter.jpg.1270317406d32cb4b6dc7ae62e6e6c09.jpg

Edited by woko
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Got a GNR 8 Wheel brake to add to this little lot

Though I need to work out how to get the middle two wheels to go round curves! One suggestion is a sliding bogie for them, and I was thinking the other could be a flangeless wheel set, though not quite so realistic looking, by the time it is painted and weathered would it notice much? Also can you even get flangeless wheels, as I haven't looked yet?

Any thoughts much appreciated as I seem to be racking up a few issues now, what with not getting wheel bearings to work with my 4mm Stroudleys!

I have included some CAD images showing the model outlines and tolerances plus bevels i use when creating these models if its any use or of interest to anyone!

Anyway looking forward to printing this is 7mm on my new Anycubic Mono X when it arrives!!

GNR_BRAKE_04.jpg.e86439fca8760a8ee66adf9a332ddb1f.jpgGNR_BRAKE_02.jpg.7e2e75761ccec26b0b3726eaccadb274.jpgGNR_BRAKE_01.jpg.c0654b3486e0b27256ab674c3fe32a77.jpgBRAKE_LINES02.jpg.4b888dfd199cae0443b2fe5df121d4bb.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

41 minutes ago, JCL said:

That looks amazing! I've just spoken to @chris p bacon about it, and he has some thoughts on the wheels.

Cheers jcl i’d be interested to hear Chris p bacons thoughts on those wheels, i’ve started to try and design some sliding bogies but im guessing there will be a lot of trial and error on these! 

What about a form of cleminson? Make the centre two axles a bogie that slides sideways. Pivot the outer axles and link them with a ridged arm to the bogie so as the outer axle twists in the turn the arm pushes the bogie to one side to help the wagon round the turn.

DrDuncan

• Agree 1

On the subject of clever solutions to problems.  I remember some years ago at the MRC club rooms Leslie Bevis Smith showing me how the S gauge fraternity did compensation.  The solebar on one side was fixed, but the other was pivoted at the centre point, using the crib rail to disguise the 0.5mm to 1mm of movement.  It strikes me this would be easily done via cad and  allow compensation for those who like to print integral w-irons and axle box/springs etc.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, woko said:

Cheers jcl i’d be interested to hear Chris p bacons thoughts on those wheels, i’ve started to try and design some sliding bogies but im guessing there will be a lot of trial and error on these! 

3 hours ago, Paul Cram said:

Danny Pinnoch's solution was 2 bogies.

Ages ago when I visited Dan I forgot to ask how he did the 8W brake so I sketched out various ideas of sliding axles and settled on 2 small bogies as they seemed the most reliable.  

A few months later I had the chance to buy an 8W brake for about the same cost as when new (I've seen them hit £70+ on ebay) and found that Dans idea had been....2 small bogies!

I think I've got a sketch somewhere, but finding it is another matter...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Ages ago when I visited Dan I forgot to ask how he did the 8W brake so I sketched out various ideas of sliding axles and settled on 2 small bogies as they seemed the most reliable.  

A few months later I had the chance to buy an 8W brake for about the same cost as when new (I've seen them hit £70+ on ebay) and found that Dans idea had been....2 small bogies!

I think I've got a sketch somewhere, but finding it is another matter...

As Paul Cram mentions above I think you fellas maybe onto something, 2 bogies would work, I will take a look next week see if I can knock something up! Thanks guys that gives me something to get stuck into!

70 squid for a brake... thats not for a 4mm version surely?

Cheers

Rob

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drduncan said:

On the subject of clever solutions to problems.  I remember some years ago at the MRC club rooms Leslie Bevis Smith showing me how the S gauge fraternity did compensation.  The solebar on one side was fixed, but the other was pivoted at the centre point, using the crib rail to disguise the 0.5mm to 1mm of movement.  It strikes me this would be easily done via cad and  allow compensation for those who like to print integral w-irons and axle box/springs etc.

I believe this to be the tried an tested method, and It may well be my next port of call, but quite fancy seeing if I can get the double bogie idea working first as it seems fairly simple to grasp, cheers dude!

How is the printing going by the way? Have you finished your coach?

Cheers

Rob

The coach is going well.  I’ve modified the roof to include the gas lamps and I’ve done the narrow gauge under frame.  So that’s ready to print and to scale down to 2mm.  I’m not happy with the broad gauge under frame and I’m going to revisit it.

D

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, woko said:

70 squid for a brake... thats not for a 4mm version surely?

Yep! The highest I have seen a D&S 8W brake go for is £110.  There are silly prices for D&S on Ebay, but when you delve into it there are just a few bidders with very big pockets who seem to thrive on outbidding to win.