3D Printed Pre-Grouping Wagons 4mm-7mm

4 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

The Billington coaches would be nice to add to Hornby's 4 wheelers.

Ray

Billinton - No G!

The Hatton's range are generally a close match to Billinton stock, apart from the brake third!

Edited by Nick Holliday

I have an Elegoo Saturn for trying to print bodyshells 

im completely new to it though so have no idea what im doing ha.

Attempted to print this pre grouping coach from thingyverse and it semi worked out on the second attempt, but some minor warping has occurred.  
Been advised to angle it upwards more with even more supports.  Fingers crossed that will help.
Using elegoo ‘abs like’ grey resin

any tips welcome! 

1575932C-2D23-4FF9-AC13-5B6018471F12.jpeg

3EF2FA21-8664-43ED-8F3D-BB0308203E87.jpeg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Oh hello, you really have my attention now, I think I'm getting a bit of a reputation for LBSC carriages!

^^ this is very true!

Gary

I am primarily SE&CR with a layout of Hawkhurst an ex-SER station set around 1911 as I have a couple of nice photos of the station taken in that year. I have a whole load of D & S LC&DR 6 wheel brass kits to build for the branch train and hop pickers specials (for which I have photos), so something SER would also be of interest for a bit of contrast.

Those pictures I mentioned also show some features not visible any others, including the original Mackenzie and Holland signals which I also have to build. So in theory, I could also backdate to an earlier period without having to alter too much.

Ray

8 minutes ago, Erixtar1992 said:

Attempted to print this pre grouping coach from thingyverse and it semi worked out on the second attempt, but some minor warping has occurred.  
Been advised to angle it upwards more with even more supports.  Fingers crossed that will help.

any tips welcome! 

You know more than I would.

That does not look too bad. What is it based on ? And why so many vents on the roof ?

The sample would make for a good grounded body with a bit of sag in places.

Should be plenty of advice on here, so keep practicing.

Ray

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I have a whole load of D & S LC&DR 6 wheel brass kits to build

Slightly jealous of this, I have been after getting a rake of those for ages. my only short SECR stock is some Ratio kits I bashed into SER 4 wheel birdcages

You know more than I would.

That does not look too bad. What is it based on ? And why so many vents on the roof ?

The sample would make for a good grounded body with a bit of sag in places.

Should be plenty of advice on here, so keep practicing.

Ray

Must admit im unsure, just saw it and thought ooh nice lol

yeah, ive given it to a mate who has done this with it.  It looks pretty cool i think! 

5305BD0E-0C6D-4997-918A-2F7A50B425CD.jpeg

12 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Slightly jealous of this, I have been after getting a rake of those for ages. my only short SECR stock is some Ratio kits I bashed into SER 4 wheel birdcages

If you have a word with Danny Pinnock he may still be able to do you some of the 6 wheel kits, but he was running low on the castings and no longer has the moulds for them as they went to ABS.

Ray

• Thanks 1

The best way to 3D print coaches is to print the sides and ends flat then put them together like a kit. This is only possible if you have designed the coach yourself or if you can download the sides and ends as stl files. This method will also be very fast as the Z hight will only be the thickness of the sides and ends and you will not need any supports. The roof can be plasticard that is heat formed in hot water over a roof profile and the roof vents could be 3D printed at the same time as the sides and ends.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, animotion said:

The best way to 3D print coaches is to print the sides and ends flat then put them together like a kit. This is only possible if you have designed the coach yourself or if you can download the sides and ends as stl files. This method will also be very fast as the Z hight will only be the thickness of the sides and ends and you will not need any supports. The roof can be plasticard that is heat formed in hot water over a roof profile and the roof vents could be 3D printed at the same time as the sides and ends.

I have an old Pyrex glass rolling pin that I use for shaping roofs and it works well.

Not sure if they still make them.

Mind you a wooden one would work as well, but you do not want too large a diameter.

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
Extra info.

I have an old Pyrex glass rolling pin that I use for shaping roofs and it works well.

Not sure if they still make them.

Mind you a wooden one would work as well, but you do not want too large a diameter.

Ray

If the roof is to be formed in plastic it's a good idea to scibe where the rain rails are going to go so that some Evergreen microstrip can be inserted into the grove afterwards aswell as drilling the holes for the roof vents.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

Billinton - No G!

The Hatton's range are generally a close match to Billinton stock, apart from the brake third!

Thanks Nick... apologies my fault for adding the G, I keep forgetting, also I wouldn't mind chatting to you about your enormous ref library, I have just finished that rake of coaches, fancy starting something else, wondered what you might have some drawings of  coach wise, especially the smaller 4-6 wheel coaching stock, I'm keen for anything LSWR, SECR, MR, L&Y, LNWR, CR, and GCR, or GWR etc as once I get printing again in spring, I hope to run some out, and maybe swap a print for some drawings chap! Cheers Rob

5 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

any tips welcome! 

Hi Erixtar, cracking stuff chap, if you are having warping issues you may need more supports, i tend to use lots of fine supports in chitubox, plus something JCL taught me is adding in bracing inside the model to give it strength! Secondly splitting the mesh up into smaller components often helps also, I tend to print roofs separately, along with underframes so I can add in the wheels easier

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, woko said:

Thanks Nick... apologies my fault for adding the G, I keep forgetting, also I wouldn't mind chatting to you about your enormous ref library, I have just finished that rake of coaches, fancy starting something else, wondered what you might have some drawings of  coach wise, especially the smaller 4-6 wheel coaching stock, I'm keen for anything LSWR, SECR, MR, L&Y, LNWR, CR, and GCR, or GWR etc as once I get printing again in spring, I hope to run some out, and maybe swap a print for some drawings chap! Cheers Rob

Don't forget Mike King for drawings of anything Southern, he has a mass of drawings.

All the best

Ray

On 24/01/2021 at 22:55, woko said:

SECR_6TON_VENTILATED_GOODS.jpg.0269b8acae657e1496bbf0256f1ca52f.jpg

BTW, it looks like you modelled this one off the 4mm-scale drawing in Bixley+, and you interpreted the spring hangers as narrow T-pieces, about as long along the solebar as they are high. I did that too, the first time I tried to model an SER "express" wagon from those drawings. In fact, the horizontal length of the hangers is much greater than the height, as per this drawing:

467147161_Screenshot2021-02-03at17_36_23.png.8c0aaeaadee9e07ee3ae1a7f81b9f418.png

Note also that the horizontal bits of the hangers are asymmetric and their arrangement on this wagon is odd. On coaches and NPCS where there is more space, the two-bolt side faces away from the spring on both side of the axle. On this wagon the solebars are too short for that and one of the hangers is turned round to have its two-bolt arm above the spring.

Amazing what comes out when you get a drawing better than a 4mm-scale one. And this HMRS drawing isn't even a GA.

You might also want to check the length of the spring. And the buffer guides, which were usually the longer coach-type on express-goods stock.

Edited by Guy Rixon
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Dunno if this is any help to you re SER coaches:

107474824_Screenshot2021-02-03at18_08_15.png.7052259630bf2a650a2dc863149f4566.png

It's a SER/SECR oil axlebox, as used from c.1880 until c.1905 on a bunch of 4-wheel and 6-wheel coaches and NPCS. 5-foot spring, 10 plates, spring hangers as measured from the GA of a Grande Vitesse van. Bodged up from various HMRS drawings. 

If the CAD is any use to you, send me a PM.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

Dunno if this is any help to you re SER coaches:

It's a SER/SECR oil axlebox, as used from c.1880 until c.1905 on a bunch of 4-wheel and 6-wheel coaches and NPCS. 5-foot spring, 10 plates, spring hangers as measured from the GA of a Grande Vitesse van. Bodged up from various HMRS drawings. 

If the CAD is any use to you, send me a PM.

Thanks Guy, this is super useful, and the image above helps explain as I was honestly unaware how different these axles are, I can look at fixing these when I go to print these up. I need to do a few adjustments to the mesh to get it to print quality before anyway so thank you for this dude most helpful

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/02/2021 at 02:50, Erixtar1992 said:

any tips welcome! 

Well I think that looks great!

As @woko said, you need to do something with the supports inside to shore up the roof, or make the walls slightly thicker. You have a lot of supports in there already, so perhaps some thicker ones in places? Or print the roof separately as has been suggested. That should stop the slight buckling on the side. Also we all like things to line up properly, and we tend to place the models on the build plate parallel to the build plate sides. @MikeTrice and I have found on the Anycubic Mono X that this causes those steps on the bottom part of the coach. If you rotate your model about 10 degrees on the Z-axis, it should help remove them, or at least, make them less noticeable.

Have a look at Mike's Anycubic thread in this part of the forum as he's put a few photos up to illustrate this.

Edited by JCL
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/02/2021 at 10:50, Erixtar1992 said:

any tips welcome! 

Hi,

I also have a Saturn and am using  'ABS Like'  a few weeks ago I was nearly there, but seem to have got further away from a good print. All my stuff now is pulling off the supports and sticking to the FEP, I have added about 50% more supports than I started with, and am slowly increasing the exposure time, without success. Would you be so good as to share your settings either in Chitu or Lychee so I can hopefully see where I am going wrong Please. 

This is where I was:

20210101_133802.jpg.91e0fdcd8014b56be69617f0f4e2adb0.jpg

This Is where I am now:

20210221_190716.jpg.0ba85d75fbbdbe12d43fbc7cf38395d1.jpg

It's driving me mad!

Regards,

Neil

Edited by neilkirby
typo
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Hi @woko

I've just found this blog, and I'm nothing short of amazed, glad to see wagons from various pre-grouping companies being modeled! I hope you don't mind but I have messaged you about a possible order for a number of GN & GE wagons ;)

I hope that is okay? 

Thank you

Tom

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Norton Wood said:

Hi @woko

I've just found this blog, and I'm nothing short of amazed, glad to see wagons from various pre-grouping companies being modeled! I hope you don't mind but I have messaged you about a possible order for a number of GN & GE wagons ;)

I hope that is okay? 

Thank you

Tom

Were hoping for some SER/SE & CR ones.

Ray

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

Were hoping for some SER/SE & CR ones.

Ray

It'll be worth the wait, it's a shame as a younger modeler looking at the former 4mm D&S kits and how much they're going for online has meant I'm glad 3D printing has become a way to get access to examples which D&S used to make in kit form. 

Thanks 

Tom

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies chaps its been a while since I have posted anything on here, that think called work has been getting all my attention! I will get back to working on some more stuff hopefully in April, I still have these GNR wagons to finish, and the odd SECR 4 plank nestled among them! IMG_2243.JPG.9d56fffc8ada618277e353f0db520782.JPGIMG_2241.JPG.2ae4dac0bc87922d218fb13b8f7a4a1c.JPG

• Like 9

On 22/02/2021 at 13:16, neilkirby said:

Hi,

I also have a Saturn and am using  'ABS Like'  a few weeks ago I was nearly there, but seem to have got further away from a good print. All my stuff now is pulling off the supports and sticking to the FEP, I have added about 50% more supports than I started with, and am slowly increasing the exposure time, without success. Would you be so good as to share your settings either in Chitu or Lychee so I can hopefully see where I am going wrong Please. 

Have you adjusted the end sizes of your supports?  I remember once adjusting the ends of supports in Chitubox for work on my Shuffle and I had reduced the diameter at the conical end of the supports to 0.15mm when the Shuffle and Phrozen ABS Grey resin had a minimum size of barely 0.2mm.  I turned out a few prints like yours until it dawned on me what was going on.

Jim.

Edited by flubrush

7 hours ago, flubrush said:

Have you adjusted the end sizes of your supports?

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the tip, I will check that out. Since I posted this I tried a print in standard resin and it came out perfectly formed, but too brittle. I am going to try mixing the 2 resins 50/50 and see what happens,  if this works it won't be a bad thing as if anything the flexible is a little too flexible.

Regards,

Neil