3D Printed Pre-Grouping Wagons 4mm-7mm

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, woko said:

Apologies chaps its been a while since I have posted anything on here, that think called work has been getting all my attention! I will get back to working on some more stuff hopefully in April, I still have these GNR wagons to finish, and the odd SECR 4 plank nestled among them! IMG_2243.JPG.9d56fffc8ada618277e353f0db520782.JPGIMG_2241.JPG.2ae4dac0bc87922d218fb13b8f7a4a1c.JPG

Good to see you back posting Rob. I can recommend retirement for getting rid of that pesky work thing! 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

Good to see you back posting Rob. I can recommend retirement for getting rid of that pesky work thing! 

Thanks Andy

Retirement sounds amazing, though sadly I think im a good 20yrs away from such delights :( 

I need to catch up on how the Minories layout is progressing and looking forward to getting cracking on some scenery for that bad boy!

On a secondary note I have a whole heap now of 100mm and 75mm thick Insulation Styrene left over from insulating my garden studio if we need any for scenery building, however I think its all mostly going to be brick work, and buildings I imagine?

11 hours ago, woko said:

Apologies chaps its been a while since I have posted anything on here, that think called work has been getting all my attention! I will get back to working on some more stuff hopefully in April, I still have these GNR wagons to finish, and the odd SECR 4 plank nestled among them! IMG_2243.JPG.9d56fffc8ada618277e353f0db520782.JPGIMG_2241.JPG.2ae4dac0bc87922d218fb13b8f7a4a1c.JPG

I like the look of that clerestoried van as well as the SE&CR open.

The guard rails on the cattle wagon seem to have gone a bit awry. Perhaps, if possible, it would be better to just to provide grooves for fine wire to go into, then you would be able to achieve reasonably strong straight rails.

All the best

Ray

10 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

I like the look of that clerestoried van as well as the SE&CR open.

The guard rails on the cattle wagon seem to have gone a bit awry. Perhaps, if possible, it would be better to just to provide grooves for fine wire to go into, then you would be able to achieve reasonably strong straight rails.

All the best

Ray

Yeah you are right Ray those cattle wagon guard rails are all over the shop I need to fix that on my second run, just not enough supports... schoolboy error! 

On 26/10/2020 at 16:37, Skinnylinny said:

I say, those are rather tasty! It's nice to see more 3d printed pre-grouping Southern stock. @TurboSnail of this parish has done some very nice SECR wagons and an LBSC Open A, and I've drawn up a few LSWR ones too, both for the Photon:

CattleWagon3.jpgLSWR_Open.jpg

I've gone for printing NEM pockets on my wagons, using the dimensions found here: http://www.doubleogauge.com/standards/couplings.htm and they seem to work well for me, although I make the coupling slot a little bigger (by about 0.2mm in height and width) to compensate for light bleed in the Photon.

My query is how easy is it  to fit the wheelsets & bearings? Obviosly from the pictures you can,but the resin being  more brittle than. plastic,I wondered how well it flexs,or are there tricks/tips to do it? Also what minimum thickness do you recommend for your plank sides/ends? TIA

Just now, paul9415 said:

My query is how easy is it  to fit the wheelsets & bearings? Obviosly from the pictures you can,but the resin being  more brittle than. plastic,I wondered how well it flexs,or are there tricks/tips to do it? Also what minimum thickness do you recommend for your plank sides/ends? TIA

In my haste, I forgot to add ,what  superb work & I will be following this  thread with great interest

Thank you! I usually draw up holes slightly larger than the bearings (I usually do a 2.2mm diameter hole) for the top-hat bearing to pop into. Depending on the resin being used, and how much it's post-cured, it is possible to print pinpoint holes for the wheels to just pop into, although how long they'll last I don't know. I try not to cure until completely rigid and brittle, as a little flex gives a lot of strength and makes the prints a bit more forgiving of rough shunts/clumsiness. I also try very hard not to flex any more than absolutely necessary to fit the wheels in, even if that means the pinpoint scraping against the inside of the axleguard as it goes in.

I usually draw up assuming 1mm thickness for structural sides, 0.8mm for things like axleguards, and I work on a minimum of 0.5mm wall thickness. I have managed to print 0.3mm "wires" but not reliably, and they're very tricky to remove from the supports without damage. 

• Like 1

Just a thought i'd had for placing wheelsets in printed axles is to have a small rounded indent at the rear of the axlebox/W iron from the bottom to the bearing. This gives more clearance for the pinpoint of the wheelset when fitting into the bearing- almost allowing it to slot in to reduce bending of the axle boxes. 

Hope i've explained that idea well enough.

As above though I very much enjoy seeing the work on this thread and if things become more comercially available ill be snapping up a lot of lswr stuff I imagine.

Edited by TeakDB

• 5 weeks later...

Something a little different, SR 8Ton van, built apparently by the IWC and sold to the FYNR according to my southern wagons volume 2, although not something I would normally print, I do have a soft spot for this cracking little vent van

452881965_FYNR8TON2.jpg.34ce05ec3ff921df17d272299438740e.jpg1593830274_FYNR8TON.jpg.1acfcb34e3675c352f3f746f95d52729.jpg

• Like 8

7 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Woko.

More temptations.

Have you done any test prints yet ?

All the best

Ray

Hello Ray

Hope you are all good chap, I haven't no, my printers are still packed away sadly, though moving closer to getting them set up as the electrics should be hopefully going in next week all being well! And then its just cosmetics. But itching to get printing, crazily I have 34 wagons, and 27 carriages to print now!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, woko said:

Hello Ray

Hope you are all good chap, I haven't no, my printers are still packed away sadly, though moving closer to getting them set up as the electrics should be hopefully going in next week all being well! And then its just cosmetics. But itching to get printing, crazily I have 34 wagons, and 27 carriages to print now!!

How many hours of printer time will that lot take?

18 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

How many hours of printer time will that lot take?

Haha good question Andy, I have no idea how long the carriages will take haven't yet printed any, but the wagons at 4mm take around 3.5hrs, and double that for 7mm as the Stroudley brake took around 7hrs something if I remember rightly. So for 7mm stock which I know you are keener on is  a mere 238hrs give or take the odd printing mishap! I'm going to be a busy chap that is for sure!

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, woko said:

Haha good question Andy, I have no idea how long the carriages will take haven't yet printed any, but the wagons at 4mm take around 3.5hrs, and double that for 7mm as the Stroudley brake took around 7hrs something if I remember rightly. So for 7mm stock which I know you are keener on is  a mere 238hrs give or take the odd printing mishap! I'm going to be a busy chap that is for sure!

Just as well you’ve got several printers!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, woko said:

Hello Ray

Hi mister, it's been a while, which printer are you putting together? Did you get your Mono X up and running?

18 minutes ago, JCL said:

Hi mister, it's been a while, which printer are you putting together? Did you get your Mono X up and running?

Hello sir its been a good while, how is the building printing going?

i dont have the Mono x running yet, hope to set it up soon, but thinking of getting a saturn, or a Phrozen Mighty to try out to.

im wondering if Anycubic will produce a Mono XL 

• RMweb Gold

I have to say, fingers crossed, but I've had no problems with the mono, but it seems if you do, you're pretty much on your own - warranty or no warranty!

Getting the puppy and doing those tutorial videos put actual printing on the back burner, but I've just printed off the signal box again, this time with stairs, and I'm very happy with it. Once I've got the interior done, I'll put it on the buildings thread.

Closer to home, I've got a GNR 4 wheel coach done, and I've been thinking of how I'll print it. At the moment, I'm thinking chassis upside-down, with the coach body next to it at 45 degrees. It worked pretty well for the Armstrong Whitworth.

You certainly have quite the list of vehicles there. I think once you start production (if that is the route you're going), you'll take the world by storm. :)

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing that signal box @JCL looked great work chap, and the 4 wheeler. 

I think thats the case with all these budget resin printers unfortunately, its knowing how to fix them, and replace parts is good practise! Although very different my fdm printer was constantly out of action, had to strip that down many times. Good thing with these resin printers is they are a lot simpler in terms of mechanics, and essentially a screen. 

Im hoping they release a larger printer this year so i can tackle those six wheelers in 7mm

11 hours ago, woko said:

Looking forward to seeing that signal box @JCL looked great work chap, and the 4 wheeler. 

I think thats the case with all these budget resin printers unfortunately, its knowing how to fix them, and replace parts is good practise! Although very different my fdm printer was constantly out of action, had to strip that down many times. Good thing with these resin printers is they are a lot simpler in terms of mechanics, and essentially a screen. 

Im hoping they release a larger printer this year so i can tackle those six wheelers in 7mm

I would take it one at a time, as you will probably have to make adjustments judging by comments from other designers.

Its all beyond me.

All the best

Ray

2 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

I would take it one at a time, as you will probably have to make adjustments judging by comments from other designers.

Its all beyond me.

All the best

Ray

That is solid advice Ray, and just how I intend to go about it sir :)

• Like 1

Building more stock in the form of some LSWR Open wagons

4 plank SR 1309 10 ton

5 Plank SR 1310 10 ton

4 Plank Open for stone traffic SR version, need to find the differences for the LSWR version

8 Plank SR 1316 12/15Ton Open goods

LSWR_4PLK.jpg.ed109c3a2ab9f86f11118df15f900239.jpgLSWR_5PLK.jpg.ee562cdfac743ff3a62ba13bfd94903c.jpgLSWR_4PLK-STONE.jpg.b99cb64bceda7e93a26b3c4ddb7b35ff.jpgLSWR_8PLK.jpg.ec48c04b2efd651f2dde183c95295574.jpg

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Adding some more LSWR wagons to the inventory

LSWR 1409 Covered goods

LSWR 1401 Ventilated covered goods

LSWR 1462 8 Ton Refrigerator Van

LSWR 1483 8 ton Meat Van

1556577514_LSWR1409VAN.jpg.bd5c905426755abb43647e38ce599e96.jpg738539233_LSWR_VENTVAN1401.jpg.46b5307ccd318490a3cf1c77ea1a6c4a.jpg2085587560_LSWR_REFRIDGERATORVAN1462.jpg.4d61ad8c978c0b09a6d40b744ed46ca1.jpg1351886989_LSWR_MEATVAN1483.jpg.806830affb4d4961bc6bbe69f6c779ff.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...