3D Printed Pre-Grouping Wagons 4mm-7mm

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy Ney Year folks

Adding some extra wagons to the collection over christmas, the LBSCR Gun powder van is a bit of a leap of faith as I only have the drawings to go by in Southern Wagons Volume 2 as there appears to be no photographs of this wagon to check the details.

Hoping to add a few Horseboxes from the LSWR, and LBSCR, along with a few extra bits in the future, however depending on how busy 2022 is

SOUTHERN_WAGON_UPDATE.jpg.fdc117d6ad4b09d7549363e60c452829.jpg

• Like 4

As long as you don't pinch the LSWR horsebox I've nearly finished, or the LBSC one I want to do! 

803648669_LSWRHorsebox.PNG.bd09a562ee97fd6e394bcd89ea22c5e7.PNG
LSWR 16' Horsebox of 1899

I also want to re-draw-up the LBSC D53 horsebox which I've made as a laser-cut kit, for 3D printing.

Those look rather good, I will definitely be in the market for some of the LSWR bolsters!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That looks lovely @Skinnylinny cracking work, you can have whatever you like, and the horseboxes should I get round to doing them ;)

But I was going to make a couple of other LSWR wagons before jumping onto the GCR stuff, but I can't decide between the LSWR Road truck vehicles 1642/1645 and the LSWR Machinery Wagon 1674 or maybe knocking up some LSWR 12T Ballast Hoppers 1734 and Ballast Plough Brake 1737 any thoughts?

18 hours ago, woko said:

But I was going to make a couple of other LSWR wagons before jumping onto the GCR stuff, but I can't decide between the LSWR Road truck vehicles 1642/1645 and the LSWR Machinery Wagon 1674 or maybe knocking up some LSWR 12T Ballast Hoppers 1734 and Ballast Plough Brake 1737 any thoughts?

Hmmm, none of those are things I personally need, although I imagine a Road Truck vehicle might be more useful to some. The engineers' train would also be interesting.

The thing to remember is that ordinary open wagons vastly outnumbered anything else in the pre-grouping period, so a couple of variations on those (wooden versus steel solebar, for example, and with or without sheet rails, or different brake types as applicable) would really make for a good representation of a pre-grouping goods train.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

40 minutes ago, Skinnylinny said:

Hmmm, none of those are things I personally need, although I imagine a Road Truck vehicle might be more useful to some. The engineers' train would also be interesting.

The thing to remember is that ordinary open wagons vastly outnumbered anything else in the pre-grouping period, so a couple of variations on those (wooden versus steel solebar, for example, and with or without sheet rails, or different brake types as applicable) would really make for a good representation of a pre-grouping goods train.

Thanks Linny that is super useful, I think for me personally I love all the different goods vehicles, the more unusual, the more interesting, however as you quite rightly mention that the majority of goods trains would be open wagons, so a few more couldn’t hurt thank you

On 02/01/2022 at 17:04, Skinnylinny said:

As long as you don't pinch the LSWR horsebox I've nearly finished, or the LBSC one I want to do! 

803648669_LSWRHorsebox.PNG.bd09a562ee97fd6e394bcd89ea22c5e7.PNG
LSWR 16' Horsebox of 1899

I also want to re-draw-up the LBSC D53 horsebox which I've made as a laser-cut kit, for 3D printing.

Those look rather good, I will definitely be in the market for some of the LSWR bolsters!

The artwork always looks better than the printed object which can catch people out when they are expecting the 3D printed object to look as good as the computer rendered object. From experience some of the items on your horsebox I think will be a challenge unless you have say an Invisiontech 3D printer at your disposal. I never try and print things like handrails because invariably they never print straight and are too easily damaged. What do you mean by laser cut kit for 3D printing ? Looking forward to seeing the 3D printed result.

Tom

8 hours ago, animotion said:

The artwork always looks better than the printed object which can catch people out when they are expecting the 3D printed object to look as good as the computer rendered object. From experience some of the items on your horsebox I think will be a challenge unless you have say an Invisiontech 3D printer at your disposal. I never try and print things like handrails because invariably they never print straight and are too easily damaged. What do you mean by laser cut kit for 3D printing ? Looking forward to seeing the 3D printed result.

Tom

Thanks for the interesting thoughts, Tom. I haven't actually put handrails or wire-type parts on this, and things like the lamp irons, alarm gear and brake gear are solid with the body. I've deliberately left out the floor and interior wall to reduce suction-related warping (easy enough to slot some plasticard in from underneath afterwards, as I've put locating ridges in). The brake standards I know from experience will print well as I've done them on an open carriage truck. 

1821568434_3Dprintedwagons(2).jpg.a6bc58402b8035dac451a6206c21271e.jpg

As you say, wire/handrail type parts are much better done with wire, hence the cattle rail bars and sheet rail on the rear open being wire. Where I have to represent handrails, I either leave holes for knobs, holes for bent handrails, or printed stand-offs for wire handrails to be glued to, depending on what's needed. This latter approach can be seen on my LSWR birdcage brake van.

image.png.0c538c65b8f8e51c270b52d2b15c7426.png

As for the laser-cut model, it's not 3D printed, but laser-cut from MDF and card. Before I got hold of my printer, I did a fair amount of designs to use a laser cutter which was available at the local hacklab/makerspace.

723814046_24Composite.jpg.95f2c73bec6fddec9db7fe0be8199d99.jpg
1807466965_24Composite6.jpg.7a63817faf3082a27e5efcabf5cb178f.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Linny what 3D printing technology are you using? Do you print the bodies as one piece or in kit form. I try and avoid printing the whole body in one go if I can avoid it as there is less chance warping when you do so. As the print time is taken up on the Z axis printing a body in kit form can be say ten time faster but you need a bigger build plate for some items. I don't no what size your build plate is but mine is quite small but in 4mm could manage a wagon in one go. A six wheel coach I would have to do two or three runs. I first started using Shapeways for my stuff but wasn't happy with some of the results I was getting. Maybe they have improved but I did notice the other day that some items I had printed in frosted detail material was starting to deteriorate, maybe this was because I hadn't painted it but made me think about the deterrability of 3D printer resins but that is a whole other area which I chose not to touch right now.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'm using DLP resin printing (on an Anycubic Photon). How I print things depends on what I'm printing - the LSWR gunpowder van here was printed in one piece, but with interior reinforcement and filleted internal corners to reduce warping due to differential shrinkage. I also decided in this case to omit the roof because the roof of this particular vehicle was completely smooth with no detail, so a piece of plasticard, suitably curved, would give a superior finish to a printed roof. There is some slight bowing to the solebar, and I now generally go for separately-fitted buffers where possible (turned metal ones being finer, stronger and less liable to warp!). 

20210112_111916.jpg.c73c19bd9516afc15d54a5361bb27402.jpg

The photo also shows just how small some pre-grouping wagons were, another advantage to fitting one-piece models on the build plate!

I have found coaching stock to be harder to print reliably, especially compartment stock where the columns between windows are narrow and weak. In some cases, I print solebars and axleguards separately from the body, although I have found that this can cause problems if any part doesn't print dead-straight. Much easier to not have any gaps by not having separate components!

1158878180_D1309FirstPrint.jpg.a2607277bc8395b6f6e44f149b41f511.jpg

Shapeways was the reason I bought my own printer - I was disillusioned with the quality of prints I was getting from Shapeways, and seeing the crystallisation of the Frosted Ultra Detail plastic cause my painted models to develop a glittery surface was horrifying!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Suffolk Dave said:

These look wonderful! I'm sure you must have been asked before, so apologies in advance, but do you plan sell these in 4mm? 

Thanks Dave for the kind words, very much appreciated.

Yes hopefully I am now thinking of putting these on Din's new site when he has it up and running, along with a lot of the coaches and buildings I have modelled all being well. As soon as I know more I will post here. 

Cheers

Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Rob.

On your various cattle wagons, did you consider putting grooves in the back of the upright timbers to take the safety bars rather than printing them as part of the side. That way some brass or nickel silver wire can be inserted which can be more scale thickness and stronger than if printed.

Looking forward to those 4mm kits.

All the best

Ray

On 23/11/2021 at 18:46, woko said:

A few more wagons to add to the collection.

Mostly GNR Bolsters, and a SECR Dancehall brake i'm hoping to get printed up and painted for chrimbo!

GNR_DOUBLE_BOLSTER.jpg.282ab1479c3ad8d14173f3df947dde94.jpgGNR_SINGLE_BOLSTERS.jpg.4127c0a5ed0591beb0c32d43705b25ac.jpgSECR_DANCEHALL_BRAKE.jpg.6bf62171deabfc3cf6738fcfa27c74f7.jpg

Hi Rob.

You do not seem to have got around to printing the Dancehall brake van yet. I note that yours is a Southern built one.

Here's my take on that using the Cambrian kit and adding the half plank to the bottom of the sides..

All the best

Ray

1183097724_CambrianSECRWagons2.JPG.66bdc3a774ae7e1ad78d2288e29bcf21.JPG 

Edited by wainwright1
Correction
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, woko said:

Thanks Dave for the kind words, very much appreciated.

Yes hopefully I am now thinking of putting these on Din's new site when he has it up and running, along with a lot of the coaches and buildings I have modelled all being well. As soon as I know more I will post here. 

Cheers

Rob

Excellent! I shall look forward to that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Rob.

You do not seem to have got around to printing the Dancehall brake van yet. I note that yours is a Southern built one.

Here's my take on that using the Cambrian kit and adding the half plank to the bottom of the sides..

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray, Some lovely wagons there, and thanks for that information I was unaware there was a difference, so will look to put that half plank in at some point before i print it.

As for printing the cattle wagons without the bars, i'm probably not going to remove them at the moment, they are easily cut off if required, but I may get round to amending or providing versions without them in the future for folks who would like to use brass or metal rods instead. I'm currently looking to finish all these CLC, MS&LR and LD&ECR Coaches im working on :)