3D Printed Pre-Grouping Wagons 4mm-7mm

7 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Rob.

With regard to the wagon grey colour, they used a lead grey colour in Wainwright days and a darker grey in the Maunsell period. The darker grey is available from Precision, but neither they (or anybody else) does the lead grey. I sampled various shades and opted to use Precision's roof grey for Mk1 coaches, crimson ones only, not the standard one.

I have been looking at your prints with interest and would be interested in ordering a few if you make them available.

Any chance you might do the converted ex LBS&CR cattle wagon modified to vans as used on the Isle of Wight. I think that there were four of them and one is preserved in Train Story at Haven Street.

All the best

Happy New Year Ray

A lead grey sounds good, shall see if i can find any sources online, im using mostly tamiya and vallejo paints, as i prefer them personally, so will see if i can match this. I notice some of the  earlier SECR open wagons had black/darkened iron work, in my southern wagons volume. Did this carry through on the vans, and cattle wagons do you know? Im also assuming this lighter grey is the lead grey you refer to also.

I am thinking of modeling the FYNR 8 ton covered goods which looks a cracking little wagon! 

As for the converted lbsc cattle wagons i have not seen them, but if you have any ref happy to do it, as shouldn't be hard to do chap. Im going to start printing these wagons now in the NY, have a few orders already, selling the 4mm for £10 each if thats not to cheeky. So if you fancy any just ping me what you what sir, and i will see about rolling them out. 

Cheers

Rob

14 hours ago, woko said:

incidentally I have the small thin paperback book of Noel Coates on the L&Y are the actual volumes worth acquiring?

I notice a lot of the drawings in the paperback book omit a lot of these under frame drawings, rather like the Midland wagons volume 1 & 2 which is frustrating as I find this detail invaluable when modelling these early wagons.

The actual book volumes are probably worth getting, if you are interested in L&YR wagons, and can find them at a sensible price! The drawings are almost all copies of the original GA's which mean they contain a lot of detail, which can sometimes make them hard to read or interpret, and a few suffer from a little bit of damage. The L&YR draftsmen usefully included details of the brake gear, which those on other lines tended to omit. As you say, it is frustrating that most of the wagon books rely on the outline weight(?) diagrams, which although useful, do not contain enough detail to confidently make a model. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/11/2020 at 14:40, woko said:

Another pass on the Stroudley Brakes at 7mm and 4mm, I need to check my FEP as i have noticed some faint rogue lines in the print at the rear on the sides! Its either that or something to do with my supports! Its not a huge issue, but would love to solve this! It may just need re-angling on the build plate. Plus I somehow missed some bolts off on the buffer plates, which was a schoolboy error so will fix on the next print all being well. 

I just managed to fit the 7mm version on the build plate of the Anycubic Mono, though anything bigger and I would have to cut the model up more! So perhaps its time to invest in the Anycubic Mono X! :)

The increase in print speed is fantastic now on these new Mono screens, and the body of this Brake took 7hrs on the Mono, compared to 11hrs for the standard photon!

However at last here we have the amended lantern window at the rear which hopefully reflects the original Brake, I might paint this one, as im eager to get painting! However I do need to spend a little time cleaning it up more, just primed it so you can see the details better.

2054651769_7MMSTROUDLEY5.jpg.1b832ef479c00c44118e32a355bc7eee.jpgSTROUDLEYS.jpg.c0a82f3aa9226ec62b9ab70105d8da23.jpgLBSC_STROUDLEYS.jpg.56d4f30fe0a711ed08e1c3be0f17d04c.jpg2097701199_7MMSTROUDLEY4.jpg.bffb8b924c3c4a1158ffb52b82520e88.jpg

7MM STROUDLEY3.jpg

This picture of the rear of a Stroudley brake van, rarely captured on film, may be of interest. Sorry for the delay in posting, it came from a thread in the Brighton Circle talk room back in February which I had completely forgotten about.

image.png.ca5aea29aaaece220add4a5273847758.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Nick Holliday said:

This picture of the rear of a Stroudley brake van, rarely captured on film, may be of interest. Sorry for the delay in posting, it came from a thread in the Brighton Circle talk room back in February which I had completely forgotten about.

Nick,

You may find this picture of the rear of one of Rob's brake vans interesting, luckily I sent him that same picture a while ago, albeit in PM as I wasn't sure on copyright.

Gary

IMG_20210102_142802.jpg.165dab70cae3bb7ad93f0093d10d2332.jpg

Edited by BlueLightning
  • Like 1

Thanks @Nick Holliday for the picture indeed @BlueLightningkindly sent me that a while back which was a major help in Developing the back of the stroudley brake, which i might add has turned out rather well thanks for sharing Gary :)  PS, what are those lovely coaches in the background?

Oh and also i have hopefully fixed those GNR underframes for the 4plank, @Nick Holliday opted for the latter version in the end cheers for posting that cracking info, and im going to have a sniff around for those L&Y wagon books if possible, and need to find some books on LSWR, and SECR coaching stock next if anyone has any recommendations

cheers

Rob

• Like 2

For LSWR coaching stock, you won't go too far wrong with the Weddell "LSWR Carriages" book series - volume 1 is carriages pre-1900, volume 2 is 1900-1923, volume 3 is NPCCS (luggage vans, horse boxes etc) and volume 4 is freight stock and miscellaneous drawings. Volume 4 covers freight rolling stock that didn't make it to the grouping (As that was covered in An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, Volume 1)

The first two Weddell books can be a bit tricky to track down but they're very good with many dozens of drawings and details of changes to the vehicles through their lives.

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Thanks 1

On 02/01/2021 at 14:18, Nick Holliday said:

That PO wagon is also of great interest! Does the print have a bit more to the left, please?

1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

image.png.3061a17ba11ed758b10a12801937eb0f.png

Perfect, thank you, just the detail I wanted to see! Is the picture date-able fro the LBSC brakevans or any other information apart from the obvious dumb buffers making it pre-1913? Harecastle is north of Stoke on Trent on the NSR, the junction station known as Harecastle, where the lines to Crewe and Macclesfield diverge, is now called Kidsgrove. It's not clear exactly which of the Harecastle Colliery companies this wagon was operated by; a quite look-up in the last few hours suggests it could be same operator as "HARECASTLE", Harecastle Collieries Ltd, sketched and noted as red oxide livery by Bernard Holland in 'MRC' March 1970, operated from about 1905 to about 1932. However the design of wagon and livery with small lettering and a light coloured plank suggests to me it might be the precursor to that, Harecastle & Woodshutts Colliery & Coke Co, or the Lawton and Harecastle Company, which worked Harecastle Colliery in the 19th century, from the early 1860s. More research needed!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 02/01/2021 at 19:05, Skinnylinny said:

For LSWR coaching stock, you won't go too far wrong with the Weddell "LSWR Carriages" book series - volume 1 is carriages pre-1900, volume 2 is 1900-1923, volume 3 is NPCCS (luggage vans, horse boxes etc) and volume 4 is freight stock and miscellaneous drawings. Volume 4 covers freight rolling stock that didn't make it to the grouping (As that was covered in An Illustrated History of Southern Wagons, Volume 1)

The first two Weddell books can be a bit tricky to track down but they're very good with many dozens of drawings and details of changes to the vehicles through their lives.

Thanks Linny as always super helpful and much appreciated :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crackedmember said:

Hi,

Is the trouble you are having with the Stroudley Brake simply that the axles are too long.

Alan Gibson will supply wheels on shorter axles to fit Lima HO scale stock on request.

Thought you might like to know

Thank you sir, I believe Gary  @BlueLightning solved this when he got the wheels to work with bearings on the Stroudley so super impressed, but thank you for the info, I just need to find wheels suitable to work with 6 wheel coaches now, preferably with longer axles to allow them to slide back n forth when going round a curve

Cheers

Rob

On 05/01/2021 at 00:16, 5D_Stoke said:

Perfect, thank you, just the detail I wanted to see! Is the picture date-able fro the LBSC brakevans or any other information apart from the obvious dumb buffers making it pre-1913? Harecastle is north of Stoke on Trent on the NSR, the junction station known as Harecastle, where the lines to Crewe and Macclesfield diverge, is now called Kidsgrove. It's not clear exactly which of the Harecastle Colliery companies this wagon was operated by; a quite look-up in the last few hours suggests it could be same operator as "HARECASTLE", Harecastle Collieries Ltd, sketched and noted as red oxide livery by Bernard Holland in 'MRC' March 1970, operated from about 1905 to about 1932. However the design of wagon and livery with small lettering and a light coloured plank suggests to me it might be the precursor to that, Harecastle & Woodshutts Colliery & Coke Co, or the Lawton and Harecastle Company, which worked Harecastle Colliery in the 19th century, from the early 1860s. More research needed!

The photo may date to the late 1880's. The footbridge was built around 1885 and the photo appears in the builder's archive, so it might well be contemporaneous with its completion. There are very few photos showing the Stroudley brakes with their lanterns, which suggests they met an early demise.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 04/01/2021 at 22:49, Nick Holliday said:

image.png.3061a17ba11ed758b10a12801937eb0f.png

The wagon would appear to be on hire from the Birmingham wagon co and presumably built by them c1880 ±3 years. The Stafford Record Office has some records from that period – pity they're in lock down!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to do much 3d printing of late that thing called work has been getting in the way.

I have however been trying to knock up a bit more stock to print once the weather turns a little less colder and I can get in the garage again

LCDR Goods Break

SECR 15T 8plk

SECR 10 Ton Goods

SECR 6 Ton Goods

GNR 2 Plank

LCDR_Goods_Break2.jpg.1fcbc60a6fb92f92923b6fd91a6f426e.jpgSECR_15TON_8PLK.jpg.76b6c8f71f92c353de58cb54d015ca48.jpgSECR_10TON_GOODS.jpg.1ffed22309bb5012b9497a9cd0a0e0ab.jpgSECR_6TON_VENTILATED_GOODS.jpg.0269b8acae657e1496bbf0256f1ca52f.jpgGNR_2PLK.jpg.cdc98e2da6555ceb59f779e9c6028e6e.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Woko.

I have been watching your blog with much interest.

Looking at your Southern orientated range, especially the mouth watering SE&CR ones.

Any chance of these becoming available for sale in the future ?

1768941599_ChathamGuardsBreak.jpg.02ec2067a341bcc89b54b41665bd8a9a.jpg

My Chatham Kits version of the LC&DR Guards Break, brass and whitemetal.

This had a few omissions in the etchings which I had to add, although it did have virtually all the brake gear.

Yours looks good.

All the best

Ray

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Hi Woko.

I have been watching your blog with much interest.

Looking at your Southern orientated range, especially the mouth watering SE&CR ones.

Any chance of these becoming available for sale in the future ?

My Chatham Kits version of the LC&DR Guards Break, brass and whitemetal.

This had a few omissions in the etchings which I had to add, although it did have virtually all the brake gear.

Yours looks good.

All the best

Ray

Hi Ray

That ex LCDR Brake looks cracking sir you have done a great job, which reminds me I need to add a few details missing on mine, grab rail on the roof, and the chimney/flue to finish the model

I am hoping to get a few of these models out there for folks, I have a rather growing list now which is encouraging, however have yet to send anything out yet due to a busy start of the year, and my printer being in the garage and not liking the cold weather :) But as soon as I can I will contact all those who have kindly messaged me and see about fulfilling their orders, including the ones I have promised to club members :)

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

On 31/12/2020 at 12:06, Nick Holliday said:

Sorry to rain on your parade of excellent models, but have you got the brake gear on the four plank correct? The left-hand brake lever was introduced in the 1880's as the result of a Board of Trade injunction that all wagons should have brakes operable from both sides.  The commonest solution was to add a left-hand lever and a cross rod connected to the normal pair of brakes on the other side. The GNR did treat some in this rather knee-jerk way, but while most other companies seemed to have bitten the bullet and either provided sets of brake gear on both side, or introduced a mechanism to reverse the movement, such as the lift-link or the Morton devices, to keep both handles on the right.  The GNR seems to have embraced the left-handed approach more than most, and came up with an unusual scheme, in which single brake blocks were applied to diagonally opposite wheels. Hence the right-handed lever side had a brake block on the left hand wheel, rather as per normal, whilst the left-handed side also had the block on the left hand wheel, almost hidden behind the brake lever, with a central cross rod connecting the pair of brakes. I couldn't find any picture in Tatlow that showed the arrangement on the model. By 1904 the Board of Trade had discovered that the left-hand lever was potentially dangerous, and it was banned, so more orthodox arrangements had to be made, although it did seem to take quite a while before they were eradicated.

Is it possible to move the brake blocks more towards the wheels, as on this one at least it seems to be outside the axleguards?

I have recently come across your blog & am very impressed with your work. & would be interested in purchasing some of your  wagons, vans especially.

Regarding  the left handed brake lever,this was chosen for cheapness as it didnt require extra cost such as clutch  in the Morton system or a lift link for a  second right handed lever, which on an individual wagon might not seem a lot, but when you are talking in terms of 10s of thousands, this soon adds up. However in 1904 the BoT changed the rules that  all the brake handles had to be at the right hand end of the wagon, but , from memory,the companies with 20,000+  wagons were given  I believe 10 years to convert them  & then another 10 years   because of World War 1., so in many cases the near & life expired left handed wagons were simply scrapped rather than being converted.So I imagine, there were probably still a number of them still running in the early grouping years,but most likely in pre-group livery. I hope that helps  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/01/2021 at 22:55, woko said:

I haven't had a chance to do much 3d printing of late that thing called work has been getting in the way.

I have however been trying to knock up a bit more stock to print once the weather turns a little less colder and I can get in the garage again

LCDR Goods Break

SECR 15T 8plk

SECR 10 Ton Goods

SECR 6 Ton Goods

GNR 2 Plank

LCDR_Goods_Break2.jpg.1fcbc60a6fb92f92923b6fd91a6f426e.jpgSECR_15TON_8PLK.jpg.76b6c8f71f92c353de58cb54d015ca48.jpgSECR_10TON_GOODS.jpg.1ffed22309bb5012b9497a9cd0a0e0ab.jpgSECR_6TON_VENTILATED_GOODS.jpg.0269b8acae657e1496bbf0256f1ca52f.jpgGNR_2PLK.jpg.cdc98e2da6555ceb59f779e9c6028e6e.jpg

Very nice. The 10-ton van of the SECR is SR D1425, yes? Presumably the 6-ton one is one of the 15' vans that preceded SR D1424; I might buy some prints of those if you chose to sell them. What kind is the GNR wagon?

On 01/02/2021 at 11:17, paul9415 said:

I have recently come across your blog & am very impressed with your work. & would be interested in purchasing some of your  wagons, vans especially.

Regarding  the left handed brake lever,this was chosen for cheapness as it didnt require extra cost such as clutch  in the Morton system or a lift link for a  second right handed lever, which on an individual wagon might not seem a lot, but when you are talking in terms of 10s of thousands, this soon adds up. However in 1904 the BoT changed the rules that  all the brake handles had to be at the right hand end of the wagon, but , from memory,the companies with 20,000+  wagons were given  I believe 10 years to convert them  & then another 10 years   because of World War 1., so in many cases the near & life expired left handed wagons were simply scrapped rather than being converted.So I imagine, there were probably still a number of them still running in the early grouping years,but most likely in pre-group livery. I hope that helps  

Thanks Paul, I noticed in my LNER Vol 1 book a few of the 4plks in the photos are still sporting left hand brake levers, however I have the choice of both versions now so hope to have one of these painted up soon so I can see how it has come out!

And of course you be most welcome sir to order some wagons should you want to, hoping not long now I can hopefully get back to printing, although the more I make, the more i discover about perfecting the process which has been super useful, and rewarding.

On 01/02/2021 at 11:58, Guy Rixon said:

Very nice. The 10-ton van of the SECR is SR D1425, yes? Presumably the 6-ton one is one of the 15' vans that preceded SR D1424; I might buy some prints of those if you chose to sell them. What kind is the GNR wagon?

Hello Guy

Yes you are correct I checked and the 10ton is D1425 as you mentioned! And also correct on the 6 Ton vans I believe. The GNR 2 plank is a 10-12ton dropside Ballast Wagon which I have yet to do any test prints of. And you be welcome chap to those SECR wagons hoping to do some tests of them soon and post on here for final quality all being well. Though whilst im waiting i am working on some more coaches, a series of LBSCR Billington stock which im finding are surprisingly more fun to model than wagons :) 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, woko said:

Hello Guy

Yes you are correct I checked and the 10ton is D1425 as you mentioned! And also correct on the 6 Ton vans I believe. The GNR 2 plank is a 10-12ton dropside Ballast Wagon which I have yet to do any test prints of. And you be welcome chap to those SECR wagons hoping to do some tests of them soon and post on here for final quality all being well. Though whilst im waiting i am working on some more coaches, a series of LBSCR Billington stock which im finding are surprisingly more fun to model than wagons :) 

The Billington coaches would be nice to add to Hornby's 4 wheelers.

Ray

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, woko said:

i am working on some more coaches, a series of LBSCR Billington stock

Oh hello, you really have my attention now, I think I'm getting a bit of a reputation for LBSC carriages!

5 minutes ago, wainwright1 said:

The Billington coaches would be nice to add to Hornby's 4 wheelers.

^^ this is very true!

Gary

Edited by BlueLightning