Overhead Lighting for Layout. Recommendations needed.

I've never installed any overhead lighting to my layouts in the past but I'd like to do so to my present layout. It's about 5 feet long x 16 inches wide see 'The Yard' on the layouts section .

I'm after a warm daylight effect. I believe a warm effect works well when taking  pics of the layout? I stand to be corrected of course! 

What would people recommend in terms of types of bulbs, how many and where to purchase from? 

Thanks for your help!

Len 

I have a similar requirement, albeit much longer than your layout, as mine is along the back wall of a 15ft long shed. Additionally, it is situated below a partially overhanging 8-inch deep shelf which limits some options that might not apply in your situation.

I have been looking at the various flexible strip LED lighting as this can easily be fixed and is low-voltage (usually 12v or 24v). They come in various single types of daylight, warm white, cool white as well as RGB with a handheld controller so any colour can be produced.

There are a vast number of suppliers on the internet, but one thing I have picked up so far ~ and the most important ~ is the power source that you use MUST provide for CONTINUOUS USE and be of a high enough wattage/amperage for safe use. There have been reports of cheap power sources overheating and drawing very high currents and which in some cases have caused a fire.

The cheap offerings from "sheds" are probably best avoided. I'm looking towards buying from a speciality supplier that offers equipment for professional displays, exhibitions where these lights are on for extremely long durations without causing any health and safety issues. However, they will be considerably higher in cost than the cheapies you see promoted in "sheds" or on the various auction sites or market places.

Please bear these comments in mind when making your final decision of which lighting to go for, amd post your decion in due course so others may benefit from your research

Best Wishes

4Railsman

I used outdoor multi-colour LED floodlights for the shed layout which, whilst giving the desired coloured effects, are a bit too "spotty" so if I was starting afresh I'd probably go for the LED strip on a roll to give a more uniform spread of light.  Using LEDs with colour changing effects makes a great difference, I personally find the blue-white effect is best to simulate a nice sunny summers day, whilst the yellow-white gives a slightly overcast effect.  Orange is brilliant for simulating a nice summer sunset and looks good with illuminated rolling stock.

I've uploaded some photos taken under the artificial lights in the "Wednesford" blog which might help.

I also second the comments about power source, I had an electrician set up my rig and because it is in a shed, fed it from the section of my circuit panel set up with an RCB for outdoor power.

• RMweb Premium

I used a 2-colour LED strip for mine - it has alternate warm white and cool white LEDs on separate circuits. They're connected to a controller that can vary them individually, but I tend to just have both on all the time, which gives a nice daylight effect.

One thing I would say though, and this is contrary to some of what has been said above, but paying more from a UK supplier isn't always worth it. I've had very good quality strips from eBay direct from China, and I've had (for work) very expensive strips (like £20+ per metre) from a reputable lighting company that have been littered with failed chips. I think an awful lot of it is just luck of the draw.

• 2 weeks later...