Hazardous Material Handling - Pre-1977 rules

dave1905

I gave a clinic on the Oct 25, 2020 OpSig (Operations special interest group) Virtual Meetup on hazardous materials handling rules for pre-1977 US railroads.  I have a link below to the handout for that clinic.  Might be of interest to some on this forum.

https://wnbranch.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/HazmatHandlingOct25.pdf

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Interesting to see the 1941 placards, obvious ancestors of today's hazmat/hazchem ones. For several years I held UK Hazchem qualifications for road transport, 'packages' and tankers, so had regular training for road regulations; this article simplifies things neatly for modelling purposes & operating procedures.

The next question, of course, is what is the relevant info for us who model post-1977...? ;)

Maybe a clinic for next year.  :D

On E-bay you can find relevant special instruction pamphlets for various railroads.

Basically after 1977 the railroads standardized on 5 cars of cover for loaded cars, went to the diamond shaped, color coded  placards.  After 1983, the UN number placards started to be introduced and the plain placards were phased out for the most part (but are still valid).

The TIH/PIH rules gradually became stricter, they changed to be a placard on a plain white background, the concept of a "Key" train started in the mid 1980's (one or more TIH/PIH or 20 or more loaded placarded tanks) and then in the 2000's all the post 9-11 stuff (most of which doesn't affect a typical model railroad).

• Thanks 1