DJM 02 Class replacement motor

Jim104

I think the reason it does not like DC feedback is because the motor has so little inertia/momentum that it slows down when the current stops flowing to allow the controller to sample the motor's back EMF. Assuming it doesn't already have one, would it be possible to put a flywheel on the motor? (I doubt if there is room.)

In theory a flywheel would solve the problem but I have to admit I've never actually tried this :)

thanks for the reply AndyID I have never ventured under the bonnet on one the 02's yet. Will try and find the instruction sheet that came with it and have a look. Its such a shame as it is a delightful model in all other respects.

In the Eighties when everyone loved Portescaps this was an issue with the smallest one. I seem to remember people putting a bulb in the circuit to cure the problem. I can't remember the wattage, or even if it was in series or parallel (I suspect parallel). I wonder if a small bulb (not an LED) used to give a firebox glow would be enough to prevent the problem?

18 minutes ago, Jim104 said:

David, have you actually used these in a DJM 02 tank? ??>

cheers

James

No, but I have used one on a BPRC Dapol/MR Sentinel with excellent results, and, as I say, it does fit in a High Level gearbox. I'd be surprised if you can't find one in that range that will fit in the 02.

On 30/10/2020 at 08:51, Barclay said:

In the Eighties when everyone loved Portescaps this was an issue with the smallest one. I seem to remember people putting a bulb in the circuit to cure the problem. I can't remember the wattage, or even if it was in series or parallel (I suspect parallel). I wonder if a small bulb (not an LED) used to give a firebox glow would be enough to prevent the problem?

Barclay a result!   Fitted an amber colour light bulb from an old Ekon signal and now the 02's have firebox glow and run perfectly on my feedback controllers (Trax). Micro surgury to fit it but worth the struggle.

Happy bunny now that I do not have to consign the models to ebay!

• Round of applause 2