Bachmann class 45....running issues

pheaton

• RMweb Gold

Hi All,

Ive got two Bachmann 45s (Later versions) both have the same issue, stalling.....the track and the wheels are scrupulously clean, the track has droppers to each section. But both 45s run like absolute pigs. They are both a 21 pin chassis fitted with a loksound 3.5 neither will do a lap without stalling at some point, whereas other locos will do a lap without an issue. Before I consign both of these loco's to eBay...and they are both one off resprays (45149 with the correct mismatched ends and 45150 with Tinsley name) is there anything else I can do to improve running?

I followed @Phil Bullocks advice and removed the spring from the rear wheelsets on each bogie...and thought this fixed the issue but clearly not.....

any other ideas before I pull my hair out further...

Thanks

Simon

Have you cleaned the pick ups?

My Peak runs fine then has it’s moments, I find dismantling the bogie and popping out the wheels and cleaning the pick ups (mine are the the ones that touch the back of the wheels) made a big difference. 
I used a fibreglass pen to clean the pick ups, be careful not to bend them, although they will bend back. 
I also tend to clean the backs of the wheels too. Once reassembled check that pick ups still make contact with the back of the wheel, push the wheels side to side. 
good luck. 

Stu

• Informative/Useful 2

Thinking aloud here as I don't own any Bachmann 45s, but how many of the wheels are pickup wheels, is it fair to assume it's only the centre two axles?  If so that can't be helping matters.  I know that some of the early Bachmann 66s were 4 wheel pickup only.  I added additional pickups to the remaining axles and running improved somewhat.  Maybe it's possible to add additional pickups where possible?

Al

• 1 month later...

I have recently acquired a Bachmann 45 and although it runs OK on my layout  (sidings on a shelf) , the 'right hand end' wheels/motor makes a weird chattering noise, like miniature magpies are having a fight. What's more perplexing is that the noise only occurs when it is travelling from left to right. 

I initially thought it was the driving  wheels slipping under load (6 coaches with added foam above the odd axle to stop them wiggling over a Kadee magnet), but I have heard it happen to the light engine, and I assume it would still slip if it was pushing the coaches from right to left?

Any thoughts?

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 9C85 said:

I have recently acquired a Bachmann 45 and although it runs OK on my layout  (sidings on a shelf) , the 'right hand end' wheels/motor makes a weird chattering noise, like miniature magpies are having a fight. What's more perplexing is that the noise only occurs when it is travelling from left to right. 

I initially thought it was the driving  wheels slipping under load (6 coaches with added foam above the odd axle to stop them wiggling over a Kadee magnet), but I have heard it happen to the light engine, and I assume it would still slip if it was pushing the coaches from right to left?

Any thoughts?

My Hornby 56 made a chirping noise, in both directions, but louder in one than the other. I cleaned out all the white grease in the gear train, used a small amount of new PTFE gear grease and it was silent again.

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

30 minutes ago, GordonC said:

do they stop on any particular point on the lap of the track? i.e. if its on a curve, could the curve be moving the wheelset to lose contact with the pickups?

It's a shelf layout with switchbacks. All the curves are very gentle and all the turnouts are large radius. The loco doesn't stop.  It runs smoothly but the noise is a bit disconcerting. 

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2020 at 19:32, pheaton said:

Hi All,

Ive got two Bachmann 45s (Later versions) both have the same issue, stalling.....the track and the wheels are scrupulously clean, the track has droppers to each section. But both 45s run like absolute pigs. They are both a 21 pin chassis fitted with a loksound 3.5 neither will do a lap without stalling at some point, whereas other locos will do a lap without an issue. Before I consign both of these loco's to eBay...and they are both one off resprays (45149 with the correct mismatched ends and 45150 with Tinsley name) is there anything else I can do to improve running?

I followed @Phil Bullocks advice and removed the spring from the rear wheelsets on each bogie...and thought this fixed the issue but clearly not.....

any other ideas before I pull my hair out further...

Thanks

Simon

What a pain! Sorry the fix hasn’t come up with the goods. Other thing to check is pony truck is not taking too much weight and can float....

We have a fair old fleet and no specific issues.... but 4 wheel pick up on a 3 axle rigid bogie is fundamentally flawed!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I had similar issues a year or so ago with a Bachmann Class 40.  The electrical pickup is via collars on the wheel axles that engage with a conducting bar fixed to the side of the bogie housing, rather than wiper pick-ups on the insides of the wheels.  The newer pick-up method is less than reliable IMHO.   This may also be in use on the latest Bachmann Class 44/45/46 and so may be the reason for the problems reported by the OP.

Pete22 came up with a fix on RMWeb (see link below) that solved the problem for me when I copied his method.  Some soldering is required.

Additional Class 40 pick-ups

Cheers

Darius

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Darius43 said:

I had similar issues a year or so ago with a Bachmann Class 40.  The electrical pickup is via collars on the wheel axles that engage with a conducting bar fixed to the side of the bogie housing, rather than wiper pick-ups on the insides of the wheels.  The newer pick-up method is less than reliable IMHO.   This may also be in use on the latest Bachmann Class 44/45/46 and so may be the reason for the problems reported by the OP.

Pete22 came up with a fix on RMWeb (see link below) that solved the problem for me when I copied his method.  Some soldering is required.

Additional Class 40 pick-ups

Cheers

Darius

I'm pretty sure the latest Class 45 still has the wiper contacts - certainly my most recent bought in 2015  -  D108 (Cat No 32-681) has. Agree the current Class 40 needs the pick ups modifying, also the Ivatt diesels which have the same arrangement. Never had the problem with Dapol diesels which use a similar method to the Bachmann 40

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some phosphor bronze strip from eBay for about a fiver. I added it to my Peak and two class 40s. It wasn't a major job at all. On the Peak it didn't even require soldering - just slip it under the existing pickup strip and glue into place and this gives four more wheels picking up.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Same issue with an arrival yesterday, brand new but a poor runner.  Cleaned wheels ran in for an hour and it ran better.  However it needed a wee tap to restart it on most occasions when I stopped it.

Am getting a replacement for mine, hopefully it will be better.  Not keen to add pick ups etc on a brand new loco.