Inspiration for an 8x8 Trainset Board

MiniMan64

On 27/10/2020 at 10:12, MiniMan64 said:

Wow, fantastic, what a response! Thank you all. 

I see so many amazing proper modelling on here I thought the idea of something very train-setty might be ignored. 

You've got the board shape spot on Keith, it was somewhat dictated by the size of wood available from B&Q and the size of the loft hatch if I'm honest. The loft space is good, boarded out and everything, it's not a room per say but we've been using it as a 'play' space for a while, we used to just set loops of track up on the floor. The rolling stock is a motley collection of steam, a large contingent of GWR but also the ever present Scotsman, a treasured but awkward to run City of Chester (first model) and a collection of speedy Hornby 0-4-0's. We don't run massive trains, probably 4 carriages max. 

This is the layout as it is now:

Small-Loop-Layout-5.jpg

Hello.

I remember you commenting on my 'trainset' [as in we both want something probably not overly popular here!!!] thread a while back, looking for an update, so here it is :)

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 17.12.34.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow, that’s great, lots of driving options there, makes me want to expand my baseboard and I’ve not even really got going yet. 

I’m afraid mine has not advanced this month, life has been too busy.

There is a proper Thomas and Percy under the tree for the boys though, time for an upgrade! 

• 5 weeks later...

So an update. Life has got busy and trying to build a proper layout, especially with the raised section, has proved difficult especially with the new lockdown and working from home. 

With the arrival of Thomas and Percy at Christmas (very popular!) I’ve decided to simplify things for now, two larger radius loops, two smaller radius loops and we can add a few sidings along the way so everyone gets to drive trains. 

keep it simple, have some fun, and maybe add some interest and scenery along the way. 

• Friendly/supportive 1