admiles

Could any of the wise heads on the site tell me if 27014 was boiler fitted?  I want to pre-order a Heljan 7mm 27 to model this specific loco and I’m not sure on which variant to get.  I’d be modelling it right at the end of its life if that makes a difference. 

Any info gratefully received!

Edited by admiles

5 hours ago, Rivercider said:

The Summer/Autumn 1986 Platform 5 Motive Power Pocket Book shows

27014 vb (vacuum braked and boiler fitted) it was the only vac only class 27 in traffic at that date,

cheers

Thank you! It was the last vac only 27 to be withdrawn I believe.

• Like 1

Just in case this is relevant to the period you are modelling and you weren't already aware, Derby Works turned out 27014 with numbers on the cabsides instead of the bodysides. This was only possible because the tablet catcher recesses had been panelled over. A quick search for 'Class 27 27014' brings up a very nice close-up 53A Models shot of its ex-works front end at York depot on 2/8/83, looks like it was on its way back to Scotland. It still retained its sliding cabside windows.

It may appear surprising that it was overhauled but not dual-braked, but in 1976 Laira's 25223/5 went through Derby and returned still vac-only, presumably because there was no local requirement for them to be dual-braked so the WR saved some money. Unfortunately this made them next to useless to other Regions when they got pushed out by Class 37s in 1980 so they went for scrap instead (25224 which escaped the South West a couple of years earlier did receive air brake equipment so lasted far longer). Either dual-braking of Class 27s had already been terminated by 1983 or the ScR instructed Derby not to bother with 27014 as its intended uses didn't require it, and they too saved some money!

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

Just in case this is relevant to the period you are modelling and you weren't already aware, Derby Works turned out 27014 with numbers on the cabsides instead of the bodysides. This was only possible because the tablet catcher recesses had been panelled over. A quick search for 'Class 27 27014' brings up a very nice close-up 53A Models shot of its ex-works front end at York depot on 2/8/83, looks like it was on its way back to Scotland. It still retained its sliding cabside windows.

It may appear surprising that it was overhauled but not dual-braked, but in 1976 Laira's 25223/5 went through Derby and returned still vac-only, presumably because there was no local requirement for them to be dual-braked so the WR saved some money. Unfortunately this made them next to useless to other Regions when they got pushed out by Class 37s in 1980 so they went for scrap instead (25224 which escaped the South West a couple of years earlier did receive air brake equipment so lasted far longer). Either dual-braking of Class 27s had already been terminated by 1983 or the ScR instructed Derby not to bother with 27014 as its intended uses didn't require it, and they too saved some money!

All interesting info thank you. I had noticed the numbers under the cab window. I'd be modelling it in it's last year of life. The sliding cab windows could be an issue if Heljan don't do this type. Are thy the same as the 26s?

49 minutes ago, admiles said:

All interesting info thank you. I had noticed the numbers under the cab window. I'd be modelling it in it's last year of life. The sliding cab windows could be an issue if Heljan don't do this type. Are thy the same as the 26s?

I would be very surprised if they were different to a Class 26. Perhaps a McRat expert could confirm.....?!

Here is a nice shot of 014 complete with yellow stag logo, Carlisle, July 1985. 

27014 Carlisle Station. 25-07-1985

The loco appeared in ex work condition at the 1983 Coalville open day,  It arrived along another in the autumn of 1982 (27041?)at Derby for overhaul, hence the number on the cabside. 

Edited by w124bob
  • Like 2