Heljan 61xx

70E

I am looking to purchase and fit an ESU Loksound L sound decoder purely for plug and play rather than re-wiriing (not my skillset) and just wondering if anyone out there has done the same and what type/size speaker would you suggest.

Also, although none were preserved what sound file would you recommend Coastal DCC, SWD etc?

• 1 month later...

To my knowledge 6106 is preserved at Didcot it was running  until it ran out of ticket and is now cosmetically restored only. The 6100 series of GWR Prairie Tanks was a group developed from the 5100 and 4100 series and had a higher boiler pressure.  If you want a recording that would be close if not identical you could use a recording from them as a number have been returned to working order.  The boiler pressure should not make much difference to the sound perhaps a larger bark  but  a 12.5% difference in boiler pressure would be like comparing a 6100 series after a climb with a 4100/5100 series on the flat would anybody know the difference? 

• 1 year later...
On 27/10/2020 at 20:07, gooderz said:

Soundfile by myself available via the Chinnor Railway

Can I ask you what decoder and smoke unit you used?

I have a Heljan 61xx and want to fit to dcc and put sound and smoke generator into it. As the loksound v4 is not available now wanted to know if the v5 will fit and work

4 hours ago, Billybobbooth93 said:

Can I ask you what decoder and smoke unit you used?

I have a Heljan 61xx and want to fit to dcc and put sound and smoke generator into it. As the loksound v4 is not available now wanted to know if the v5 will fit and work

Esu v5 L with esu smoke unit.

I'm actually trying to sell this 61xx.

A fair amount of wiring and surgery wad needed

Shame I should have messaged before I bought mine although be it I got it from a shop shutting down so paid 350 for a new loco.

Thanks for info as was really struggling to find dc stuff as most has now gone dcc so was looking at going dcc, only down side is dcc conversion and getting a controller is about another 3-400. Also there dosnt look much space for stuff.