Class 118

Has anyone converted any RTR DMUs into Class 118's? 

And if so, would they kindly like to share how they did it?

Note please! Not just a theoretical conversion of the Bachmann Class 117 (along the lines of "you could easily ....")  :rolleyes:

I'm especially interested in the Class 118's that operated in Devon and Cornwall, circa 1965-1970.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is something that I want to do but, as in so many things, courage deserts me.  The essential difference between 117 and 118 is the shape of the headcode box: flat top on 117, curved on 118.  It should be a simple re-profiling job ...

Chris

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I've done one, W51308/59475/51323 in blue full yellow, in 1998. I still have it. My method for creating the headcode boxes was to file the Lima 'face' flat and make up new overlays from 10thou plasticard with close reference to photographs to get that top curve looking right. Although bigger than Lima's the headcode panels themselves were still a little undersized, and I used SR headcode lettering intended for Class 33s/EMUs. These overlays were of course larger than the Lima boxes so all that was then required was filling in behind the top and sides with filler (Miliput in my case) and carefully carving and sanding down to size.

The DMS was created in time-honoured fashion by cutting out the unwanted guard's compartment and inserting parts from a spare bodyshell, two sections required per side, and adding the necessary seating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Here's the DMS end of my 3-car set, modified as described above. Buffers are filed-to-shape MTK plastic items. I have seven Lima DMU vehicles and meant to paint the interiors and SE Flushglaze them (they're all prepared), but never quite got around to it.....

WP_20201108_23_50_58_Pro.jpg.d332165b20433b6af2cda2fc401f0bae.jpgWP_20201108_23_49_41_Pro.jpg.0b0c9fba900e9af7bd9522cdf443106d.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

I have seven Lima DMU vehicles and meant to paint the interiors and SE Flushglaze them (they're all prepared), but never quite got around to it.....

Ah, I new we would come back to it eventually....... What sized round toit are you after?... suppose it depends on just how many Lima DMUs you have to hack modify!

Mind you, I should talk  - now I have less need for 117s I haver a pile to repurpose as 115s etc.

Now where did I put that stash of hacksaw blades?

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Ah, I new we would come back to it eventually....... What sized round toit are you after?... suppose it depends on just how many Lima DMUs you have to hack modify!

Mind you, I should talk  - now I have less need for 117s I haver a pile to repurpose as 115s etc.

Now where did I put that stash of hacksaw blades?

Cheers

Paul

Hah! I nearly worded it that way! The answer must be a big one I think......

Many years back I had a 4-car set intending to do a 116. Went off the idea and sold them. Not long after I couldn't resist a mint boxed blue power car for £25 at a show (it looked lonely) and now I have a blue 3-car set. Again. And enough parts to create the DMS. Oh dear. 

I wish I could visit shows and leave without buying anything!:nea:It has happened a couple of times but I got home feeling bereft, and guilty for not supporting local traders!!

• Friendly/supportive 1