Heavymetalwagons workbench

This is my first post/thread about what I'm doing at the moment .it'll probably not get updated much !!.but here goes 

I do tend to flit about from one thing to another or get bored and move on (got a list of things I want to do and it gets longer !!) 

got these triang cemflos years ago before accurascale did there's and started one and give up lol 

but got back into having ago .just got another ten Gloucester's to build !!!

think I'll have another go at the reinforcement cleats .but as everything else was scratch built I'm happy enough so far (I call myself an amateur  p4 modeler)

PA270229.JPG.22c72a56fcb63c890fb2a1c13cfc5d6e.JPGPA270231.JPG.8ac6f1adc531d01edf19c81e3b148547.JPGPA270232.JPG.2878e3a29b3adb7d8d20c2fd9154ae76.JPGPA270233.JPG.55ecf7fffb4285271e1f9edff2a264d9.JPGPA270230.JPG.76e36cb25be550674c30b34b8cf8aad9.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

not much to report just finishing bits off .

did a test weathering using (now stay with me on this) real cement !! ,having seen the accu ones done with talc .first I did  thin grey paint then flicked cement on from a dry brush and wasn't really happy so I dabbed the paint on thicker and the cement stuck better and it seems to look better (well to me anyway) and one jam jar of cement will last a life time ! photo to follow 

I model 4mm 1978 (ish 4 years either way)

I like all the coil wagons of that era 

the mix of stock from unfitted 16 tonners to nice new air braked railfreight vans etc 

the private owner tankers (going  to do either the esso or bp bitumen 35t (airfix) tankers .

just started looking into doing some ferry tankers (may use those old lima things as a start point) .the good thing is you don't need to do a rake of 10+ of the same wagon  

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

did a little bit more at weekend .started another one and realized the recess in the ends on the triang one was a lot deeper than the accurascale ones !!! how I missed it on the first three **** knows (I'll never be let back into the p4 society at this rate) not going to change them I'll put them at the back lol.

• 2 years later...

just looked been two years since last post!!

have been busy honest been doing some tunny's and grampus wagons and these 

converted to p4 wheels .had problems with the drill bit cutting one way and making the axles out of square 

changed the end pipes and thinned the end plates down and a few other details 

the pcb was made using a Bachmann tanker underframe and had to make  "v" tank body as i didn't have any spares from an old Hornby body 

the last wagon is a procar 80 made from one of those lima/Hornby car transporters .happy with the top handrails 40 thou square rod and 0.3 wire ,each rail had to be cut and drilled .

nearly finished just paint and transfers to go ,going the paint in the toleman colours 

IMG_20221211_133045.jpg

IMG_20221211_133056.jpg

IMG_20221211_133122.jpg

IMG_20221211_133142.jpg

IMG_20221211_133154.jpg

IMG_20221211_133403.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

sorry the post was a bit brief =having one of those days !!.camera decided it doesn't like taking photos (worked ok last time)pictures grainy ??

had to take pic's on my phone in the end

finished my triang cemflo fleet at last (may build one more)

the procar 80 sides where built by drawing a plan out and taping to a ply sheet then the plastic strip pinned in place (at least if I'm wrong both sides are the same wrong lol)

into car transporters at moment .going to hack the Hornby cartic 4 into a better set may use the lima ones as Centre units .looking to do proper expermet/chequer plate for the floors but having fun finding fine scale versions at mo.(the slaters one looks way to big =better for 7mm).

will be doing mat transport ones as my farther worked for mat (yes i know revolution trains are going to do them in 4mm but always been on my to do list and what to see how mine compare)

also going to do the early comtic /autic sets may use the HO two car sets made by various manufacturers  

plus like the idea of building those loading ramps (the ones built from old coach underframes)=nice varied fleet  

Edited by heavymetalwagons
forgot stuff !!

• 5 weeks later...

finished the procor 80 just the weathering to do .quite like the cleanish look may just have to do a light weather (not like me)

started my most epic build to date the MAT cartic 4 set .did start by hacking the Hornby one up ,but decided to scratch build seemed easier in the end 

considering its just strip glued together it is quite strong (dropped at least once) and has stayed true and squire (well ish) so far 

got the mesh for the decks from ema supplies (not cheap),thought it was too fine at first but now fitted looks good to me and its aluminium really easy to cut

thread plate is from jtt supplies (n gauge) and is miles better than the slaters stuff  

the sides where made from 20th strip, think I'll have thicken up as per prototype to 40th 

got to figure out how to do the piggyback bogies to both look good and work well!!!

should keep me busy for a few weeks (more like months) sort of wish I'd started with a comtic/autic set first i.e less to build and looks an easier build anyway! 

IMG_20230110_142353.jpg

IMG_20230110_142536.jpg

IMG_20230110_142558.jpg

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

sorry its been 10 months since last post (i have been doing stuff honest)

finished the last of my PCA/PCB's 

two Hornby class 31's one a "rot" rebuild using a lima chassis and p4 wheels (not the nice easy alan gibson kits) but exactoscale wheels and brass tubing to get it all to work plus loctite

one also had a respray into blue. d5509 which Hornby got wrong anyway

A Bachmann 08 got cheap as a p4 non-runner and repaint

A dozen Bachmann/airfix presflo (still in the paint shop)plus not looking forward to doing all the lettering

A 17ton fly ash presflo conversion (as they ran with cement traffic in the 70's) fly ash is used to make cheaper concrete 

P1010014.JPG.764d89ba354f771e7df25a706b4de4cf.JPGP1010011.JPG.ee34e1c27b2aacadd86f09c3c8c8c539.JPGP1010012.JPG.17d272895434dbc3eafee9484c4019f5.JPGP1010015.JPG.e9bfb0c9d8a574d4c8167ae1c7b1178c.JPG

P1010013.JPG

Edited by heavymetalwagons
  • Like 6

A while ago after a lot of searching the web i managed to find some good "scale" mesh and checker plate 

the mesh is from EMA (the plastic weld company) i got EMS44100 called expanded metal sheet 1.0mm holes made of aluminum and really easy to cut (knife or scissors) but the holes are really fine can just get a 0.3 drill bit through (may try there 1.5mm next time) .will have to be REALLY careful when painting as i can see me clogging it up!!!

also got some checker plate made by JTT architectural 97455(ps-1055) tread plate N-scale from buffers .its a lot finer than the slaters stuff and looks nearer to scale to me.

finally again from EMA some expanded corrugated sheet 1mm ECS1 which looks like the decking on comtic/autic and air braked steel and coil wagons .its slightly ribbed and could be used as either mesh (on its own) or on top of a floor .the last two photo's P1010001.JPG.28d87dddc6b1bcf039ee8af3b0617caf.JPGP1010002_01.JPG.207d2089cbfab888f0ff7d73f55fbbae.JPG

the usual caveat applies (unless EMA wants to send me "free stuff")!!!

hope the photos help     

• 5 months later...

Just found this thread after doing a search for PCA wagons.

Having realised the the PCAs were built from 1973 I can have a small rake on Clackmannan Goods which is set in 1975. I tend to stick to unfitted and vacuum fitted wagons normally. Nice work on the PCB and the parallel PCA, I think one of each for will look nice amongst the ‘normals’ in a train.

many thanks for your comments 

you'll have to do the early ones 9*** numbers V tanks. but there's still plenty of variation =advert boards /frame only "big logo"etc /full tops data panels or some just had a large number only.

on my "ever growing list" is the French built ones with really rounded ends that must have been another test as they where soon moved to another traffic (ici i think)(pic in david larkins book )

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

wow 5 months since i last posted anything, mind you it's been winter anyway 

Cambrian "dancehall" straight from the kit ,one side unfitted grey the other drab olive P1010002.JPG.664175197e02ecefc25d45eadff08381.JPG  then a diagram 1760 brake van .started life as the Hornby thing (really just the roof /one end and the chassis kept )

the sides where made from slaters 20*79 thou strip with the edges scraped back although the grooves look a bit to big (real ones wound be 1/4 inch if that )hoping a couple of layers of paint reduce the grooves a bit .

the next project is a diagram 1748 shark (the other SR ones with the ploughs in the middle) again using the Hornby van and the same 20*79 method may try less or no scraping or find some really good plank sheeting at york show .

finally the 17t fly ash wagon still awaits transfers /weathering and final finishing  

P1010004.JPG

P1010006.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010007.JPG

• Like 2