Instead of Helping Hands...

1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Has anyone got any examples of how they've used alternatives to this sort of "helping hand" device?

Blue tac (or similar product). Simple, cheap, and flexible in its application, so long as you care not trying to support objects too far off a surface.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

57 minutes ago, smokebox said:

Piece of stiff wire & a couple of croc clips

Great for soldering wires together

Credit to whoever came up with the idea

Do the croc clips not cut into the wire?

The quoted post has a suggestion of pegs, so I wonder whether some (laid down) mounted to a piece of wood could work in the same way.

• Like 2

Couple of wooden clothes pegs screwed to a bit of plywood possibly with a shallow groove to hold the wire should do the trick.
Personally I reckon the £1 that I paid for a "Helping Hand" in Poundland was one of my best buys ever.   Its just so versatile as you can configure it in so many weird ways.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, woodyfox said:

A small sheet of steel and numerous magnets with a really useful square egded one. Will hold work very steady for soldering etc... IMG_20201028_173306.jpg.9b1a02af1e8d0eed5537f94c898147ae.jpg

Cheers

I've never seen the magnet arrangement in the bottom left of the photo - do you recall where you got it please?

51 minutes ago, polybear said:

I've never seen the magnet arrangement in the bottom left of the photo - do you recall where you got it please?

Yes, i do recall. I found it in a shopping centre (on the floor). It had probably been dropped by a shoplifter (strong magnets are use to remove tags from clothing etc..) 

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I have used those helping hands for years without a problem If you think that the jaws are going to be a bit rough just put a little tissue in them to soften the teeth. Or even file the teeth down a bit so they are less sharp.

Tho I'm no DIY type,  I was so frustrated by this problem that I made myself one of these;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCyHRWCvUc

Looks like an alien from a video game, doesn't it? You can get the coolant pipe very cheaply on ebay. I made an immovable base with a sandwich of roofer's lead sheet between two sheets of ply, and only fitted two arms, anchored by Milliput.   The shrink wrap is a good idea if you're concerned about damaging delicate items. Do zap the inane music track before you start or it'll drive you mad.

Edited by PAL