Vulcan Severn & Wye 0-6-0T

jazz

I am building the Vulcan Foundry 0-6-0T.  The loco was called Severn Bridge and was absorbed into the GWR.  My question in does anyone know what and if the GWR gave it a running number. I am westernising it with safety valves and chimney etc as happened when these locos ended up with GWR, LMS, SR ect.

This is the loco in question when running the the Severn & Wye.

865248516_vulcan0-6-0.jpg.43f1f0f9639663770bd08dd61bc3a963.jpg

vulcan 0-6-0.jpg

Edited by jazz

3 hours ago, 5050 said:

Is there any info in the multitude of books on the S&W?  I'll have a peep in my editions of the ones on the early days.  Also, how about the books on the GWR absorbed engines?

I have the Russell book of the GWR locos, it's not in there.  I do know it was built in 1880 and withdrawn on 1906 and was in the GWR stock list.

3 hours ago, 5050 said:

Is there any info in the multitude of books on the S&W?  I'll have a peep in my editions of the ones on the early days.  Also, how about the books on the GWR absorbed engines?

3 hours ago, 5050 said:

2 hours ago, Phil Traxson said:

Just looked in Russells GWR Absorbed Engines and it has a list in the back purporting to be a list of all absorbed engines in 1925 and there is no mention of any Severn & Wye railway loco's  at all.

Just now, jazz said:

I have the Russell book of the GWR locos, it's not in there.  I do know it was built in 1880 and withdrawn on 1906 and was in the GWR stock list.

Thanks for looking, this particular loco was withdrawn in 1906.  I can only find the Vulcan build list.

1 hour ago, Co-tr-Paul said:

1126A to MR stock ?? S&W taken over jointly by GWR and LMS.

Further edit,  This was Forester  which later became MR 1608. Guess had similar history to OP loco ??

Hi. In 1895 the loco was taken over by the GWR. It had the usual GWR fitting attached to her.  I cannot find a GWR number though, Hence my query.

Severn Bridge, and her partner, Gaveller, are covered in RCTS Part 3.  Absorbed in 1895, Severn Bridge, or 1354, had received a new boiler from the Vulcan Foundry in 1895, which reused her old tubes. The pair spent the rest of their working lives at Lydney, 1353 scrapped in October 1903 and 1354 in February 1906, their names being retained. Given the short life they had, it seems unlikely that Swindon would have bothered much with them. There are no photos of them in GWR guise in the book. The other three Vulcans went to the Midland and they all survived until 1920 and beyond, although they were heavily rebuilt with standard Midland boilers.

• Informative/Useful 2

Thanks Nick.  I guess that means I can use a little modellers license and just do a very small amount of GWR mods. (Mainly just the safety valve bonnet and changing the wooden brake blocks)

1354 is then and maybe the name plate too.