Stored Locomotives in UK

leopardml2341

Years ago, when I were a lad, locomotives that were 'Stored Serviceable' were simply indicated by an (S) and likewise 'Stored Unserviceable' by a (U) in the locoshed book. I think latterly they were allocated to 'loco pools'?

I don't go 'spotting' anymore but I do wonder how many loco's are (S) or (U) and how that is influenced by the current climate. How are they indicated now and is a list available in the public domain?

Hoping someone can help.

TIA :)

ps mention of (the alleged) strategic reserve is forbidden :D

Edited by leopardml2341

Yes there are many locos stored, this is generally obvious from pool codes. Some FOCs have different layers of stored status from warm stored through to what are effectively withdrawn stripped shells 

I believe that sometimes locos awaiting parts or on long term maintenance get put into the top tier of warm store as this helps availability figures and have seen Suggestion  around it being a way around paying NR registration fees but no idea if that’s true or spotters fake news

there are loads of websites that still track loco stays, for example WNXX

http://www.wnxx.com/fleetstatus/index.htm

There have been Freight locos stored this year due to Covid though I think generally most are now back in traffic 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the (S) and (U) had gone by wayside after 1997 as the freight companies and TOC’s deemed what was serviceable, what was not and did their own interpretation.  I remember back in the early 2000’s that EWS had either a 31 or 47 listed as stored serviceable yet at the time was in many, many pieces in a skip at Wigan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also these days some companies don't like saying what state their locos are in and codes mean nothing unless it has a listing that include "HN" (Harry Needle) which means it's fu@@ed lol.

Reminds me of the time I was doing parts recovery at Booths and one day I turned up and three grotty 47s from Tinsley had turned up that were long out of use scrappers, I ask what loco had dropped them off and the foreman said "the front one"

• Like 5
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Nothing new.... all of this went on in the late 60s when there was a surplus of power on the WR. Members of Class 03 14 and 22 were stored at Worcester and went one of three ways... back to traffic, sold to industry or for scrap.

Not aware that any were used from 85A whilst in store but they certainly were elsewhere .... D845 used for engineering trains around Bristol, and a couple of Class 14s being used on similar workings north of Hereford 18 months after the entire class had been withdrawn.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

73101 still shows up on TOPS reports, indeed I saw it on a list today, ive copied it below..

73101  GBSD  ELGHARLTN   ELGHARLTN                      U

It was withdrawn in 2002.., preserved several years, heres it in 2018.

(not my image / flickr url)

Eastleigh Works  73101

preservation, storage and service are often blurred.

DRS has a 37704 stored unservicable at the SRPS steam railway, but its running trains, whilst SRPS has a preserved 37025 working for Colas on the mainline...

Edited by adb968008
Edited 114 for 025
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

DRS has a 37704 stored unservicable at the SRPS steam railway, but its running trains, whilst SRPS has a preserved 37114 working for Colas on the mainline...

I think you’ll find it’s 37175 as 37114 was scrapped 01/08 at EMR Kingsbury 

• RMweb Gold
On 29/10/2020 at 19:26, jools1959 said:

I think you’ll find it’s 37175 as 37114 was scrapped 01/08 at EMR Kingsbury 

Actually its 37025.

I was just wishing it was 37114 ;-) Dunrobin Castle was a favourite of mine.

Here it is, approaching Wimbledon, full greens onto Platform 6 heading up from Woking, heading to the Carriage sidings at Wimbledon...

The problem was, full greens means Clapham and Waterloo, so good job the driver brought it to a stand, and redirected it to p5...

not bad for a withdrawn loco, just coincidence but i think it was 175 at the back...

Edited by adb968008
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

They’ve also got 37175 as well.  I’m not sure if Colas have bought it and hiring 37025.  If you look on my Class 37/0 section of my website, you can see 37175 at the SRPS restored in BR Blue.

rail-pictures-2009.smugmug.com

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

They’ve also got 37175 as well.  I’m not sure if Colas have bought it and hiring 37025.  If you look on my Class 37/0 section of my website, you can see 37175 at the SRPS restored in BR Blue.

rail-pictures-2009.smugmug.com

Well enjoy it whilst it lasts.. a 66 was on the NMT last month as a trial for the SE and SW NMT trains.

66’s are a blurry one too.. exports are they withdrawn ? And imports.. Rush Rail 66 from Sweden is it new ? And then theres 66999.. import and export... Some of GBRFs 66 are renumbers of EWS’s.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Actually its 37025.

I was just wishing it was 37114 ;-) Dunrobin Castle was a favourite of mine.

Here it is, approaching Wimbledon, full greens onto Platform 6 heading up from Woking, heading to the Carriage sidings at Wimbledon...

9F45E5CF-AABA-4413-97D2-89C02AE73206.jpeg.8541d73ae561e89aae460c2750db8137.jpeg

The problem was, full greens means Clapham and Waterloo, so good job the driver brought it to a stand, and redirected it to p5...

not bad for a withdrawn loco, just coincidence but i think it was 175 at the back...

Or City of Worcester...... ;);)