BR JA (Class 73) Electro Diesels : Livery

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone help please?

I am trying to find when the prototype JA (73/0) locomotives lost their green livery.

As l understand it, the production version (JB or 73/1s) left the manufacturer in Blue, so only the earlier JA batch ever carried a Green livery. I am particularly interested in E6004 (Dapol model) The only evidence l has found so far is a photo of this loco on Hatton's website, which is believed to be dated around 1965. However the photo show the loco without the SYWP. Since the construction of the production batch was started in 1965, with all examples leaving the works in "Blue" surely E6004 upon next visiting to the works would have received blue livery. Or did it just get a wipe over and a SYP applied? Hence my question as to how long the Green livery lasted.  

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Bob C  

I ve since found a second photo on FlicR showing E6004 in Green, still  with no SY?WP at Strood in June 1966

Edited by Blobrick
update

I cant answer your question directly, but I do know that the SR were extremely slow in applying even small yellow panels to locos and units. Some Class 33s lasted until 67 in all over green.

BR made the decision to go to blue in the summer of 1966, but painting diagrams were not issued until later. Indeed when the first of the Class 33 push-pull conversions were getting close to completion around the end of 1966 there was a flurry of activity to finalise the livery details. They were the first 33s into blue. 

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, slilley said:

I cant answer your question directly, but I do know that the SR were extremely slow in applying even small yellow panels to locos and units. Some Class 33s lasted until 67 in all over green.

BR made the decision to go to blue in the summer of 1966, but painting diagrams were not issued until later. Indeed when the first of the Class 33 push-pull conversions were getting close to completion around the end of 1966 there was a flurry of activity to finalise the livery details. They were the first 33s into blue. 

Many thanks for your help, since writing the first part of my post l have found E6004 , still without SYWP running in 1966, so l m getting closer. I m hoping that the livery in question survived until 1969!

Cheers 

Bob C

E6004 was in plain green with stripe livery in March 1966. There is photographic evidence of the locomotive in green with syp on 15 April 67 and 3 March 1968.

It was overhauled at Crewe Works in December 1968, and that may be when it received blue fye livery.

Edited by 73080
typo correction
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, 73080 said:

E6004 was in plain green with stripe livery in March 1966. There is photographic evidence of the locomotive in green with syp on 15 April 67 and 3 March 1968.

It was overhauled at Crewe Works in December 1968, and that may be when it received blue fye livery.

Hi there 73080

Thanks for this info, l was hoping for 1969 but 1968 is fairly close!. Do you know if E6004 was the last JA to remain in Green livery?