DCC fitting for Lima Class 20

AMac

Hi, I have some old locos that I am converting to DCC. One of these is a Lima Class 20 (about 25 yrs old?) which was kindly given to me. The engine works fine.

I have seen a couple of videos on converting this type but they a re slighting different - essentially a simple pair of connections. However the version of motor I have has more connections. I believe there is a capacitor and a pin the goes through the motor casing -everything all connected. I am nervous about connecting up as I'm sure I'll leave an electrical connection between the rail pick up and motor because I don't know what's what here. I'd really appreciate advice on what is going on and more importantly, how to connect the decoder. The decoder I've bought for this conversion is a Hornby TTS Class 20 chip.

By the way, is this a can motor?

Kind Regards,

Alastair

20201028_235009.jpg

20201028_235103.jpg

Hi RedgateModels, 

Many thanks for your help. I didn't expect an answer so quickly! 

Yep too easy - I tend to over-think things especially when something is new to me. BUT just to make sure, are the motor terminal where I've marked in yellow below?

Terminal locations.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Yes, those are the motor connections. As RedgateModels said, grey and orange wires to those, red and black to the bogie pick-up contacts.

The wire coils, rods and the capacitor atop the motor can all go. 

Done a fair few if these myself, quite straightforward. 

Edited by CloggyDog

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, geoff said:

NO NO, that is the wrong way round. RED AND BLACK TO THE TRACK, GREY AND ORANGE TO THE MOTOR.

Geoff

I've corrected my erroneous post... should have waited until after my morning coffee to post, sorry!

Hi Geoff and CloggyDog,

thanks for confirming the terminals and help my understanding. I'm just getting back into railway modelling so I've done a fair bit of reading but still virtually no "doing"! 

Thanks again to all for all the advice,

Alastair