Microset/sol with Railtec transfers?

Pillar

Hi All,

I have some Railtec waterslide transfers which I'm about to apply soon. I was intending to use Microset/Microsol to secure them as I've done in the past for other brands of waterslide transfers, but I've seen a few people mention that Railtec do not recommend using Microset/sol with their transfers. Can anyone confirm this or perhaps offer a reason why? I haven't seen a reference to it on Railtec's website.

Cheers,

Liam

The accompanying leaflet recommends to avoid MicroSet/Sol, and instead to use soluble PVA in normal tap water. Some modellers have used MicroSet/Sol ok, and others haven't. But really, unless you're bedding in over uneven detail then plain tap water will do the job absolutely fine. Other modellers have sporadically reported success with other softeners but there can be numerous variables behind the methods used from one modeller to the next which will impact the end result (not least how the model was prepared, brand of paint used, method of application etc), so the soluble PVA seems to be the blanket safest bet.

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I've used Micro-Sol & Micro-Set with Railtec transfers; I found the transfers got very soft very quickly - much more so than either Fox or Micro-Scale. If you do decide to use Micro-Sol/set, use them sparingly and be ready to wipe the fluid away if things start going wrong!

Steven B.

• Informative/Useful 1

For best results apply with water to a previously glossed area,either polished with T-cut (remove all residue afterwards) or apply some acrylic Klear to the area first apply the transfers and once dry seal with another light coat of Klear.

Once sealed they can then be over coated with enamel varnish if desired.

HTH

• Agree 1