• RMweb Premium

It's been a pleasure re-reading this thread. I'm so glad such a layout didn't go to waste and was sold to those kind enough to still share it with us.

The detailing of the scene (and story) of BT&S is excellent.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Couple of slightly blurry photos, now photobucket has decided it wants to play again. Should be pretty self- explanatory!

20170315_2107260.jpg

20170315_210829.jpg

20170315_211223.jpeg

20170315_211320.jpeg

Not completely happy with the Peckett but it looks much better than it did... the MW has come out better than I expected, just needs some worksplates to finish. Both are dirtier than intended; it has been said that I lack subtlety (not just relating to model railways...)   

The hybar is the Dapol one by the way- looks alright to me. There's one of the "unpainted" opens knocking about somewhere too but I don't think I have a photo.

Had a good day at Hardwicke, layout ran well almost from the off (slightly dodgy joint in the fiddle yard cured by an application of a croc clip- luckily Amberly Services had a well stocked stand so we didn't have to resort to shoving stuff out the yard!). Sustained a bit of damage to the concrete apron and pipe bridge on the way home, nothing serious but we might use it as an opportunity to rejig some things slightly.   

• Like 19

Hi Matt,

Fantastic weathering, superbly realistic and believable!

Gutted that I missed Hardwicke...family commitments etc...I would loved to have seen the layout and had a chat, glad that all went well.

I hope that your repairs become a 'happy accident' and part of continuos improvement, rather than a chore.

ATVB in haste,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Cheers CME, damage is pretty mild, got off lightly considering it was viciously attacked by a potentially lethal combination of a boxed pair of Lionheart suburbans and gravity! It's no bother, these things happen when you go on the road with stuff (especially things that weren't supposed to travel!). The bridge will be rebuilt as it was, or near enough, but I might redo some of the concrete apron to be in a different media.That said I kept the bits so I ight just glue them back down and grow some grass and weeds in the cracks! The damage to the concrete was caused by me being impatient while loading the car, nothing to do with dive bombing B- sets.

As for future outings, nothing set in stone yet but spoke to a few interested parties at Hardwicke so there are a few possibilities, mostly next year. I will of course keep folks posted through this here thread :)

Edited by brianthesnail96

• 4 months later...

I have looked through the whole thread and am pleased to see that it has survived the great Photobucket scandal of 2017 and that both Matt and I didn't use PB for the photos, except for one of my posts, which has now been edited and the photos replaced.

• Like 5

I've no idea how as all of mine are definitely hosted on Photobucket and my photos on other forums have vanished into the unknown! Keep quiet eh...

No changes- the usual summer excuse of steam rollers and old lorries, but with the added distraction of a motorbike- but the layout is up and being played with. The concrete apron just needs sticking back down and some patch repairs, it's broken so neatly that the cracks are barely visible and don't look unrealistic.

• Like 2

Matt

I assume that you have a Plus Account but be warned! This is what PB are saying:

If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017,

you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd
Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your
subscription.

So even those with a Plus Account will lose the third party hosting at the end of next year.

Dave

Pretty certain I don't, which is the odd thing- I've never paid them a penny. I know I couldn't host directly to RMWeb and had to edit the image links for them to display so maybe that's it. I post on several vehicle related forums and I know my images on those are no longer visible.

... I know I couldn't host directly to RMWeb and had to edit the image links for them to display ....

?  I've never had a problem uploading images direct from my pc onto a post (can't be doing with image hosting or the fluffy white i Cloud come to that).

Pretty certain I don't, which is the odd thing- I've never paid them a penny. I know I couldn't host directly to RMWeb and had to edit the image links for them to display so maybe that's it. I post on several vehicle related forums and I know my images on those are no longer visible.

In which case, the PB plug may be pulled even sooner! I hope that you'll reinstate any lost photos so that this thread retains its integrity as an inspirational resource! Or, better still, anticipate the problem by replacing hosted photos by replacement uploads direct to the thread now.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Crikey, this must be the furthest this thread has ever dropped down the rankings in this sub- forum...

Which is rather telling really. The layout has barely been touched in the past year and a half, other than a couple of operating sessions at home. I've inadvertently saddled myself with another classic car project + ended up on the committee of a car club, the steam roller is still rather time consuming (although that too I have sadly neglected this past year, fortunately some of the other members of the crew have been rather more proactive and the unplanned "top end" rebuild is going well!) and along with a couple of other things in the pipeline means I'm considering rehoming BT&S.

By no means a certainty, it's not doing any harm where it is, but I can't help but feel it would be better with someone with the time to enjoy it and ideally take it on the road more than I have been able to. If anyone would be interested let me know. If I were to sell it I'd like the 4 BT&S locos + a significant quantity of the stock to go with it plus of course the control systems etc., although I'd want to keep a few of the non- BT&S specific wagons to go with my pannier tank.

No, the Triumph 2500PI estate that turned out to be a complete wreck, that I spent all summer getting to a halfway driveable state but still needs all the bodywork doing!  

Not quite a Jaaaaag granted, have you still got that?

I do still have the Jaaaag. It is still very nice, sleek and shiny and I didn't spend all summer skinning my knuckles on it. You see, Matt, when one drives a Jaaaag, one gets someone else to get their hands dirty instead. If only your taste in cars was as good as that which you have in locomotives.

Wait a minute... I take that back. You're keeping a Pannier tank, yet selling off one of the Boyne Engine Works' finest? The men in white coats are coming for you, sunshine. You've definitely lost the plot now.

It's more that the Pannier is the only one of my 0 gauge locos that I've not horribly devalued by painting yellow!

I do actually have a modern (ish) car at the moment, I can confirm that it's both expensive and dull and I'm looking to replace it with another heap of a van in the near future (well, probably spring actually).

I have the itch to go back outdoors- I may look at getting a 5" loco to replace BT&S at some point in the future. I will attempt to find one modelled on a Yorkshire manufactured prototype...  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Okey dokey. 

BT&S is definitely for sale. An unexpected turn of events means I could rather do with the space, as well as some money... 

I've put some better pictures on Flickr. Here is the full description from the advert on Faceache. 

Bury Thorn & Sons is an 0 gauge DCC Industrial shunting layout for sale. Representing a tar distillers set in the West Riding of Yorkshire in the early 1960s, the layout is complete with all locos and rolling stock, controllers etc. Built by Dave Hall and bought by me along with some of the rolling stock about 6 years ago, I've sourced the locos and added to the rolling stock, taken it to a couple of small exhibitions and enjoyed playing with it. However with some new projects in a different scale on the horizon I need the space so sadly it's time to move it on. I want to sell it complete so I won't be selling bits off separately unless there's no interest. 
The layout is approx. 12' 6" long and 19" wide, made up of 3 boards of differing lengths. Track is all Peco, the layout was built before the 0 gauge "set track" became available so is the larger radius points. Some clearances are very tight as are some of the curves however so the layout is restricted to small locos and shorter wheelbases. A Pannier Tank won't fit for example. All 6 points are electrically operated via a CDU and switch bank on a clip on control board. Locomotive control is set up for DCC and a Roco Multimaus system is included with 2 handsets. The fiddle yard is a 2 road traverser with room for a loco plus 3 wagons. Operationally there are 3 variants of tank wagons to place under the filler/ unloading area (class A, class B and tar) and at exhibitions one operator is responsible for cycling these. The other deals with general wagonload trains, vans of materials in and out, coal deliveries, drums in merchandise wagons etc- one brings in a train when the other has marshalled theirs (swapping 3 fresh wagons for 3 already on the layout) and repeat- so there's quite a lot to do and plenty of movement in a small space. 
Locos are all fitted with DCC sound and in most cases with Keep Alive. All are boxed but have obviously been modified from new, being repainted and weathered. 
- Ixion Fowler diesel mechanical, EDM models sound conversion, repainted, custom transfers. 
- Ixion Manning Wardle 0-4-0ST (brass), EDM sound again, repainted, custom nameplates. Slightly notchy runner, better when warmed up!
- Minerva Peckett 0-4-0ST, pretty sure this is EDM sound again, details as the Fowler. 
- Dapol Terrier, chopped around a bit, poor quality DIY sound fitment, lettering faded on one side, weathering half finished, one buffer AWOL. No keep alive, needs one. Best used as scenery in the engine shed! 
13 general traffic wagons plus a brake van, 9 finished tank wagons plus 4 spares awaiting tidying/ detailing (3x tar wagons so could make a 4th rake) and 3x Lionheart Air Ministry tankers, so 30 in total. Most are fully weathered and lettered. A couple have minor damage from exhibition use and one or two are only finished on one side.
Boards are connected with VGA cables for point control, these aren't really durable enough for exhibition use, and was stood on keyboard stands (included, but two have doubled up as a paint stands. One length of track is currently dead (suspect microswitch) and some minor repairs to the scenery is needed, the most significant being the footbridge. 
Loads of pictures including a profile of every wagon on Flickr HERE

I would like £1350 for everything (which is probably less the value of the locos and stock if I was to split it) but happy to listen to sensible offers. I'm in Gloucestershire, I would deliver within 150 miles of my home for that- obviously nothing can happen until the travel restrictions are lifted.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

To bring this thread up to date, I am now the proud owner of BT&S - for a layout set in Yorkshire, the layout has now returned "home", albeit in West Yorkshire!

Hope to keep this thread updated as I work on repairing some battle damage and getting the layout ready to go on the road once we're at the end of this terrible pandemic.

Cheers,

Joshua

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1