It has really gone back home, Dave the originator of the layout is resident there,

It is a layout I have followed from day one and I am pleased it will continue to live on here for me to follow it.

Good luck with your new venture Joshua and keep the photos flowing.

Best

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Manchester765 said:

Just on the outskirts of Todmorden - just about inside Yorkshire!  

That depends if you're talking to a Yorkshireman or a Lancastrian!  My Grandmother came from Todmorden and I believe her family are still in the area.

Good to see the layout has found a new home.

Edited by 5050
  • Like 2

Just now, 5050 said:

That depends if you're talking to a Yorkshireman or a Lancastrian!  My Grandmother came from Todmorden and I believe her family are still in the area.

I'm from the (superior) Red Rose side of the border myself, near Burnley. It doesn't pain me to travel over the border, honest... :derisive:

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, Manchester765 said:

I'm from the (superior) Red Rose side of the border myself, near Burnley. It doesn't pain me to travel over the border, honest... :derisive:

Inflammatory languge!

Where's that Moderator when you need him.......................:rolleyes:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

says the welshman

He’ll just do what the Tudors did: make some tenuous claim for descent from both sides and put one rose on top of the other...

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

35 minutes ago, Regularity said:

He’ll just do what the Tudors did: make some tenuous claim for descent from both sides and put one rose on top of the other...

Plus a bit of Irish and German..........................:drinks:

I'm multicultural tha' knows lad.

Edited by 5050
  • Funny 2

Couple of photos from Wednesday night's first running session with BT&S after getting it all set back up - all working well, I'm pleased to report.

Onto battle damage repairs now - mainly the bridge across the layout that I understand was attacked by a box containing some Lionheart B set coaches, as well as some of the concrete that needs touching in.

Hope to have another update sometime next week.

Joshua

IMG_20200610_203904.jpg

IMG_20200610_200304.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another week with another look at activity on Bury, Thorn & Sons. 

Bridge repairs have commenced with the salvaged pieces glued back in using superglue - didn't think to take any pictures! Awaiting some plastistruct to finish off the repairs and that's the majority of the damage repair complete.

A interloper has also been spotted in the yard on gauging trails for a potential transfer to BT&S - a tight fit! This is a Invertrain Peckett X Class that I picked up assembled at a Gauge O Guild show a couple of years ago - runs very sweetly and seems an ideal fit for BT&S alongside the Minerva Peckett E Class already in the fleet.

One big piece of news is that BT&S has already been invited to its first show, albeit a virtual one! I am part of the team behind the Modern Image O Gauge group and BT&S will be taking part in our MIOG Live event alongside the amazing Heaton Lodge Junction, rather at the opposite end of the size scale from BT&S! The event will be taking place on the 24/25th October and more info can be found here: http://www.modernimageogauge.co.uk/mioglive.html

That's all for this week - hope to have more pictures soon!

Joshua

IMG_20200617_210305.jpg

IMG_20200617_210457.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Manchester765 said:

Things have been a bit quiet here of late! 

The layout has laid dormant for a couple of months while real life got in the way, but I'm now back on with getting the layout ready for MIOG Live later this month, with a couple more scenic repairs made. The layout is now also forming part of the Gauge O Guild Virtual Show the following weekend.

There has also been a new addition to the diesel fleet, on loan from a manufacturer in Bristol being spied after Mr Bury and Mr Thorn purchased the Peckett...in reality, this is a (very!) heavily bashed about Atlas Plymouth switcher with a scratchbuilt plasticard body, purchased from eBay last week. The downside of this is the switcher mechanism, which runs nicely but is rather loud, which isn't conductive to a DCC Sound installation! 

Hope to bring some more updates before MIOG Live.

120767305_841514879719996_2691485679608337886_n.jpg

120737725_4521598664578516_737065350248639854_n.jpg

120764408_668660570447699_1541319200495933152_n.jpg

I don't usually like bashed about conversions but that looks very good. Kerr, Stuart were in Stoke on Trent though, not Bristol.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Manchester765 said:

The downside of this is the switcher mechanism, which runs nicely but is rather loud, which isn't conductive to a DCC Sound installation

Very nice, not obviously an Atlas Plymouth conversion at first sight. Yes they do growl a bit, so almost don't need sound unless you want a horn etc. A recording of a bag of spanners in a washing machine would do for the engine sound   :jester:

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Funny 2

• 10 months later...

One day, I shall attempt to keep this thread regularly updated...

Just a quick message to let folks know that Bury, Thorn & Sons has got it's first day out at a physical show under my ownership in a couple of weeks time.

The layout is attending the Ellis Clark Trains Summer Exhibition up in Skipton - the show is free to attend and has a small selection of other layouts and traders attending, as well as a free(!) hog roast and vintage bus shuttle.

For more info on the show and to RSVP, click the link below:

https://www.ellisclarktrains.co.uk/blogs/news/the-ect-summer-exhibition-2021

Cheers,

Joshua

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Ruston said:

Free entry and free food, you say? The Yorkshire price. I'll have it!

It's a cunning ruse. Once you've had the free hog roast, you'll feel morally bound to buy something expensive!

I'm almost tempted myself, but I know I'd come away with a train of Presflos...

• Funny 2

23 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

you'll feel morally bound to buy something expensive!

You're not from Yorkshire, are you? :lol:

Eat all, sup all - pay nowt

See all, hear all - say nowt

And dun't do owt for nowt, 'less tha's doin' it for thissen.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

5 minutes ago, Ruston said:

You're not from Yorkshire, are you? :lol:

Eat all, sup all - pay nowt

See all, hear all - say nowt

And dun't do owt for nowt, 'less tha's doin' it for thissen.

Indeed, I am not from Yorkshire. I live in that confused bit of land between the Mersey and the Ship Canal that isn't quite in Lancashire or Cheshire so has to be part of Greater Manchester.

Though I was originally an Essex boy before I saw the light and spent the rest of my life gradually moving further and further northwest.

Anyway, I liked the possibility of free drinks too. There's some decent breweries round Skipton way. After a couple of pints I'd definitely be leaving with a rake of Presflos, and probably something to pull them...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

It's a cunning ruse. Once you've had the free hog roast, you'll feel morally bound to buy something expensive!

I'm almost tempted myself, but I know I'd come away with a train of Presflos...

Don't worry,  I can't attend and have already got 7 Presflos on order so you can have my free entry/ hog roast..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

Blowing the dust off this thread once again - BT&S has been in long term storage over the last few months while I've had other projects on the go after attending the Ellis Clarke show in Skipton last year.

However, the layout has received an invite to the Modern (I think I reside at the early end of modern!) Image O Gauge show being held at the Heritage Centre in Crewe on the 26th and 27th March - consequently, I needed to get on with repairing some of the battle damage it had suffered from previous outings.

The concrete apron had suffered from cracking and chips of this had broken off - this has been repaired using some DAS clay and the skill of a friend with an airbrush to blend this back into the existing concrete. 

Various small details such as drainage and tar pipework has been remanufactured and replaced, with rust applied to blend it into the pipework already on the layout.

The warehouse and engineers shop both had lighting rigs within but these weren't wired up - a new mount for the lights made from foamboard instead of cardboard was made for the warehouse and these are now wired into a 9v supply.

The key issue found at the Ellis show was the failure of the pointwork - which was narrowed down to the D-shape connectors which were failing to provide a good connection and were a little susceptible to damage.  This has been replaced with a slightly more "industrial" solution with push together choc blocks, which also carry the track power and lighting power circuits, which should make setting up a little easier! These have now been mounted to the boards since the photo was taken.

The Peco-lectric levers have also been replaced with new Cobalt levers - this culminated with Peckett No. 8 running successfully on the layout last Tuesday. 

Plenty of work outstanding - I'll update this thread with some more pictures of the above and ongoing work over the next few days.

Hopefully see some of you at Crewe!

Cheers

Joshua

IMG_20220208_210150.jpg

IMG_20220207_221434.jpg

IMG_20220208_210132.jpg

• Like 11

• 6 months later...

Hi all,

Just to let you know - BT&S has THREE outings in the near future:

24th/25th September - Severn Valley O Gauge Get Together at the Engine House in Highley 

15/16th October - Hartlepool Model Railway Exhibition, Hartlepool College For Further Education

19/20th November - Pendle Forest Model Railway Exhibition, Park High School, Colne.

I think this year is the busiest the layout has been for some time, after attending the MIOG exhibition in March this year at Crewe. Hopefully see a few of you about and that she doesn't get too many battle scars in the process!

Cheers

Joshua 

• Like 4