How is flexi track made?

• RMweb Gold

I bought a batch of smp Scaleway, but the question applies to all flexi track. It has moulded bases about 150mm long and the rails are threaded on. How is it done? Are the sleeper bases moulded then somehow the rails are threaded through the chairs without distorting it or are the bases moulded around the rails? Is there a clever machine to do this or does Mr Scaleway sit at home and thread endless bases onto rail?

I find it v difficult to slide the bases up and down the rails without distorting everything, so I'm interested in how it's made in the factory. Just and idle query!

Ian 

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

When Len Newman was producing C&L track the sleeper panels were moulded and then placed in a jig. The 2 rails were then gripped and pulled through. Amazing to see.

Sounds very labour intensive. Makes sense though

11 hours ago, ikcdab said:

so how does Mr c&L or Mr Scaleway do it today?

Ian

According to Phil C&L still uses a jig and the rails are threaded by hand. I assume Peco do it by machine, but C&L and Marcway are so much smaller than Peco or other similar companies. I have found that Exactoscale and C&L thicker track bases are much easier the thread as the bases are far more rigid 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1