R3865 - 70013 “Oliver Cromwell”

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I see that this loco is due out soon but I wonder if this as it was in the 50’s with the early crest or as it is now?  If it’s a 2000’s version, I can’t see any OHLE warning label’s on the loco.  If it’s a 1950’s version, can it be easily updated?

I'm guessing the tender bodies are interchangeable in the latest tooling versions - unless you simply replace with a late crest.

Most / all early crest locomotives don't have the speedo cable. This is available if you hunt them down, and can be glued into position if you're careful, and the wheelsets with the longer spigot can be purchased as well. Needs a smaller screw to locate.

I've done this modification to my 70000 Britannia.

The overhead electrical power warnings are available from any number of suppliers.

Link to 'new model' indicates old crest and no speedo: https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/br-standard-7-britannia-class-4-6-2-70013-oliver-cromwell-era-5.html

Al.

• Like 1

It's 1950s style. The main noticeable difference is the smoke deflectors.

If you want one as it is now look for the 15 Guinea Special pack.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/337746/hornby_r3607_15_guinea_special_anniversary_train_pack_with_class_7p_4_6_2_70013_oliver_cromwe/stockdetail.aspx

A few places have it on offer and if you don't want the coaches I'm sure someone will take them off your hands.

Jason

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I keep looking at Hornby’s 15 Guinea Special but I’m struggling to find a reason to buy it at the price it is, especially when it’s just a whim.  I’ll keep watching and waiting :wacko:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, jools1959 said:

I keep looking at Hornby’s 15 Guinea Special but I’m struggling to find a reason to buy it at the price it is, especially when it’s just a whim.  I’ll keep watching and waiting :wacko:

It's £220 at Bure Valley Models

http://www.burevalleymodels.com/p/10604/R3607---The-15-Guinea-Special-Train-Pack

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does this have the traditional swivelling pony truck that Tri-ang and the later T-H now Hornby Brits have always had or is it one that in a recent retool Hornby have fitted the rigid frame un-flanged wheels to? if the latter I will be looking for an older 2nd hand one when I eventually get around to buying a Brit.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, john new said:

Does this have the traditional swivelling pony truck that Tri-ang and the later T-H now Hornby Brits have always had or is it one that in a recent retool Hornby have fitted the rigid frame un-flanged wheels to? if the latter I will be looking for an older 2nd hand one when I eventually get around to buying a Brit.

New version with fixed truck

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, john new said:

I too was put off by the fixed truck. But having now got two Hornby Brits I will say don't be put off. Yes it looks a little odd over curves, and yes sometimes the rear wheel is not rotating if track is not absolutely level... HOWEVER - trainset curves look odd anyway (bogie swing, coach throw on curves etc) and we accept that. And the rest of the model (chimney lip aside) is FANTASTIC. Really one of Hornby's best and really captures the character and detail of these modern pacifics much better than the older tender drive model

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got a Brit and a Clan with the fixed truck arrangement. With the small tender to loco buffers removed the loco can be close coupled to the tender using the close setting on the Hornby bar and still negotiate my 30 inch min curves and Peco medium radius points (albeit dead slow tender first). Close coupling the tender has the added benefit of limiting the swing of  the cab and prevents that 'odd look'. I really dont notice the flangeless wheel and if anything I think it looks better than the usual 'pizza cutter' :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Forgot to add the full width footstep fitted later between the front frame angles to assist in smokebox cleaning; the preserved No 70013 still carries this, again not depicted on R3865. This modification was also later fitted to the Nines.

(Unsure if all members of both these classes were so treated).