Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Winter

Ron Ron Ron

9.30am and they are doing the link to a video thing again.

This is the intriguing bit.

We will also be unveiling several new limited edition models during our premiere on Tuesday and we couldn’t think of a better way of beating the winter blues than by adding one of these exciting new models to your collection. We are expecting demand for these new models, which are available exclusively to members of the Bachmann Collectors Club, to be high so be sure to order yours as soon as they are revealed to make sure you don’t miss out.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope im wrong .... would be really nice to finish off the year with some uplifting news but sadly it seems Bachmann have taken their eyes off the prize this year ... yes, I know they were catching up but still, they've allowed companies such as Accurascale and Cavalex to steal a march on them .......

Still, lets be positive and see what Tuesday brings .......

Ben 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, cambo74 said:

Hope im wrong .... would be really nice to finish off the year with some uplifting news but sadly it seems Bachmann have taken their eyes off the prize this year ... yes, I know they were catching up but still, they've allowed companies such as Accurascale and Cavalex to steal a march on them .......

Still, lets be positive and see what Tuesday brings .......

Ben 

That seems a bit harsh. I have been disappointed with Bachmann for a few years but I thought this year has seen a turnaround with models being released and looking good.

Yes, competitors have released / announced products, but that will always be the case, and is healthy for the hobby. 

Roy

• Agree 1

I have to say I tend to agree with Ben on this one.  The only Bachmann model I've bought in the last year or so was the albeit excellent Class 158.  It's interesting how Hornby were ridiculed, lambasted, use whatever word / phrase you want for delays in bringing out models, yet there's not a great deal of criticism of Bachmann (Can't do wrong) for being in exactly the same position.  I've been waiting for the GWR 150 and WCRC coaches (still no sign of a release date for these, even though they are a re-livery of older models) for rather a long time.

Certainly seems to be a bit of a bias towards Bachmann on here.

That said hopefully there will something interesting in the announcement on Tuesday, the new announce release within 3 months is certainly an improvement.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Several models..

sounds like wagons to me.

Was Warley going to release a wagon pack this year, without a show it could it be this years wagon pack, plus whatever the usual winter BCC model might be ? -speculation.

Bachmann have a very wide range, popular items sells out fast, HKA for instance,  But if you look at the website, they have loads in stock of lots of classes.. if lots of little black steam locos, or newly duplicated toolings are not as popular, it might make them stick on the shelves, we have to see.

But  DMU/EMUs they certainly are doing more than anyone else..117/121/158/159/hap and soon Bep... no ones touching them there, and the GWR 158 seems to have gone down very well, with indications of multiple runs, the Green 117 defied the critics on price and has gone too. The class 90’s are now down to the last few in shops.

I think some people miss a constant churn of 37/47’s, they are bread and butter classes that will always sell, admittedly their is room for a few more to be released.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

I don’t think the 37/47 will sell nearly as well, with Heljan 47 and accura 37 on the way - those “ limited edition “ models have hung around forever .

The only thing that’s been enhanced with these ( rather old tooling ) is the constantly spiralling price.

i used to be a massive fan, and my fleet is mainly Bachmann , but I think they’ve been left napping generally other than the DMUs 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, robf said:

I have to say I tend to agree with Ben on this one.  The only Bachmann model I've bought in the last year or so was the albeit excellent Class 158.  It's interesting how Hornby were ridiculed, lambasted, use whatever word / phrase you want for delays in bringing out models, yet there's not a great deal of criticism of Bachmann (Can't do wrong) for being in exactly the same position.  I've been waiting for the GWR 150 and WCRC coaches (still no sign of a release date for these, even though they are a re-livery of older models) for rather a long time.

Certainly seems to be a bit of a bias towards Bachmann on here.

That said hopefully there will something interesting in the announcement on Tuesday, the new announce release within 3 months is certainly an improvement.

I have to admit I’m more swayed to supporting Bachmann than Hornby. Whilst the delays from

Bachmann can be frustrating you can generally expect a much better and accurate product, compared to Hornby, from them in the end. 

Maybe Hornby do manage to produce something good but it seems everything I’d like to buy they either don’t produce (BR Blue 31/4s for example) or they constantly c**k something up with the wrong colour, logo in wrong position or even the wrong tooling! I’ve a long list of stuff I’d like to buy from Hornby but won’t because of stupid avoidable errors. 

I've got to the point where I’m actively selling anything Hornby that I can do without - unfortunately the HST is a necessity! - but it would be wonderful if Accurascale were to bring out the 31, 56, 60, HST, oh and the 47! (Having seen the discussions on Heljan products and the glaring inaccuracies I don’t hold out much hope for their 47, which is a real shame). 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, robf said:

It's interesting how Hornby were ridiculed, lambasted, use whatever word / phrase you want for delays in bringing out models, yet there's not a great deal of criticism of Bachmann (Can't do wrong) for being in exactly the same position. 

I've experienced the opposite, where a change in the release date will result in complaints of 'late again' for Bachmann but nothing for Hornby. The two Hornby Pecketts I have on order (R3702 - 'Daphne' and R3703 'Bear') went from a release date of Winter 19/20 to Winter 20/21 back in July. When I posted this in the Peckett thread, no complaints. Again in the Peckett thread R3761 'Lady Edith' went from Winter 19/20 to Summer 21 earlier this month, the only complaint was relating to the supply of the Grey limited edition model to retailers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I don’t think the 37/47 will sell nearly as well, with Heljan 47 and accura 37 on the way - those “ limited edition “ models have hung around forever .

The only thing that’s been enhanced with these ( rather old tooling ) is the constantly spiralling price.

i used to be a massive fan, and my fleet is mainly Bachmann , but I think they’ve been left napping generally other than the DMUs 

I agree with you on the 37 - I think the Accurascale model is going to be massive but not so sure on the Heljan 47.

Reading through some of the Heljan threads for 25/45 and the glaringly obvious errors leaves me a little bit underwhelmed with the prospect of a fully accurate 47. How many attempts at the 86?! 

I’m no rivet counter but when they can’t even get basic things right it doesn’t fill me with confidence and to be honest I think the Bachmann 47 is alright, could do with a lighting upgrade and releasing a few more liveries though! 

If only Accurascale could be persuaded to produce a 47?! 

Edited by Global
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is strongly rumoured to be one much requested item on their list according to various sources.  We shall see - and will it be the best one?

Not another Fell? :)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is strongly rumoured to be one much requested item on their list according to various sources.  We shall see - and will it be the best one?

Just seen going thro' the Panama Canal, but going the wrong way. 

There's a fire crew near to Newport Road in Cardiff. According to unsubstantiated reports, they're there to pump out some froth. 

• Funny 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, robf said:

It's interesting how Hornby were ridiculed, lambasted, use whatever word / phrase you want for delays in bringing out models, yet there's not a great deal of criticism of Bachmann (Can't do wrong) for being in exactly the same position.

You don't read RMweb much do you? There are page of moans about Bachmann delays. I've even see an almost identical sentence in the Hornby topic with the words Hornby and Bachmann transposed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Funny 1

51 minutes ago, Global said:

I have to admit I’m more swayed to supporting Bachmann than Hornby. Whilst the delays from

Bachmann can be frustrating you can generally expect a much better and accurate product, compared to Hornby, from them in the end. 

Maybe Hornby do manage to produce something good but it seems everything I’d like to buy they either don’t produce (BR Blue 31/4s for example) or they constantly c**k something up with the wrong colour, logo in wrong position or even the wrong tooling! I’ve a long list of stuff I’d like to buy from Hornby but won’t because of stupid avoidable errors. 

I've got to the point where I’m actively selling anything Hornby that I can do without - unfortunately the HST is a necessity! - but it would be wonderful if Accurascale were to bring out the 31, 56, 60, HST, oh and the 47! (Having seen the discussions on Heljan products and the glaring inaccuracies I don’t hold out much hope for their 47, which is a real shame). 

I fully agree .

Hornby emphasis is steam I believe , it’s their core market .

However they do listen to suggestions - you can actually email Simon Kohler and you will get a reply .

I suggested more DB 60s as the prices went up and up on eBay and we got them ( obv not all my doing !), we’ve recently suggested more31s in blue , more 56 in blue and LL so we’ll see . No headcode discs with 31 ? Received a packet of them ...

As with Bachmann I’mholding off any more 31/56 purchases as I expect a superior product to come along soon- can’t be doing with 8 pin sockets , screws under bogies , poor pick up design that shorts my points anymore .

I want to build a Blue model next time but I can’t because the 50 isn’t good enough and it’s essential to GW mainline .

anywayback to Bachmann !

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

You don't read RMweb much do you? There are page of moans about Bachmann delays. I've even see an almost identical sentence in the Hornby topic with the words Hornby and Bachmann transposed.

Interesting observation to a post, I can see why I dont post more regularly.  I read the forum everyday, just my interpretation of it. Whilst delays getting new tooling items out if perfectly understandable, older tooled items is a little less understandable. I'm talking from my experience never had a problem with any Hornby model I've had but then I'm no rivet counter (sorry) so if it looks fine then I'm happy with that.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, cambo74 said:

Not entirely sure they have. The likes of Accurascale and Cavalex have done a lot of announcing and there's been a lot of jumping up and down and clapping but they've produced very little product that you can actually get your hands on. Accurascale have yet to bring any of their British outline locos to the market place... It all looks very promising but proof is in finished models on shelves that people can buy not in nice looking CAD files. Who knows with Bachmann's new approach to delivering product maybe some of those models announced will appear in a blue box on a shelf before others have completed their tooling...

Justin

Edited by jjnewitt
Speling
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

Lets all hope there are a few surprises then.....

More Class 90's and more Class 158's......

I see the last few Diesel and Electric Collectors Club Limited Editions are all still available.

I'm guessing it will be a coach sets, but hoping for something modern... 

Maybe the Malcolm 90 (but one of the recent club models was a 90 so unlikely) 

• RMweb Gold

I still have a bunch of Lima 37s, ViTrains 37’s and Bachmann 37’s

When I look at ebay, the floor fell out of the 66 when Hattons announced theirs.. you could pick them up at £50 at one point.

The same is not true on 37’s and 47’s. The 47’s did dip..but theres not many new ones from Bachmann this year, and prices on both ViTrains and Bachmann are circulating the £100 mark second hand.

Bachmann 37’s.. well ROG is up past £200... certainly no ones dropping that, 47541 in Scotrail/Intercity sold over £250 the other week

The difference is Hattons announced tons of liveries all at once. Accurascale and Heljan have announced much smaller scope, and in 37/6 and 37/4 (DRS) versions which havent been done accurately before.

Whilst I own lots of 37/47’s in loads of different liveries, i’m not going to just weigh them all in as their replacement isnt yet being offered, so I wouldn't write Bachmanns 37/47 off just yet.
If my Lima and ViTrains 37/47 can co-exist with Bachmanns, I suspect Accurascales /Heljans will too...it all comes down to the livery /prototype being offered, and with 100+ liveries and 100+ variations and 100+ known celebrities between the two classes, that will be more evolution than revolution..., purchase choice will be largely down to Prototype livery/loco modelled...

As its 25 years since Lima gave us 100+ 37/47s and still a Lima 47541 sells for £100, and Bachmann sells for £250..

I think both manufacturers toolings could co-exist on shelves too for some years yet, it’ll be down to prototype, price and availability not Just brand loyalty.

I doubt it will be an ebay biblical flood... Ask me that question on the class 55 however, I will give a very different answer.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

There can't be any complaints about delays with this latest set of announcements.

As with the previous three sets of announcements made this year, all the items listed should be in the shops over the next few weeks and couple of months.

The backlog from previous years is also being gradually cleared.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Bachmann have a very wide range, popular items sells out fast, HKA for instance,  But if you look at the website, they have loads in stock of lots of classes.. if lots of little black steam locos, or newly duplicated toolings are not as popular, it might make them stick on the shelves, we have to see.

Isn't that the entire point of having a catalogue and a range of models?

There seems to be an obsession that if things haven't sold out in days then it's a failure. It isn't. If ASDA or Argos sell out of an item they have failed.

They probably sell more "little black steam locos" than you think. Just that nobody shouts about it like they do over the latest diesel in dayglo orange.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Agree 4